Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hard day on us girls....

+6
poplar girl
Blue Hill Farm
cbrookkelly
Island Girl
mirycreek
Hidden River
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hard day on us girls.... Empty Hard day on us girls.... Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Had to put our pet turkey "Rosie" down today. Very sad kids and momma. Rosie was out of our "Yolker", he was our yard greeter of anyone that came to the farm, he was my daughter's biggest pet. Then along came Rosie, Yolker and Bubble's baby. She was the first turkey we hatched from them and the only one in the first hatch. My daughter tamed her from the start and she stayed in the house brooder much too long. She would fly out and come to the bottom of the stairs (The brooder was in the basement at the time) and call for Amy, and call and call. Once Amy would go pick her up she was happy. Amy convinced me it was a girl from day one, and as she grew she became the farm pet. After Yolker's passing last year Rosie became the greeter. She would even do a "Lady turkey strutt" for people. Just too funny.
Well after being locked up for breeding all spring we turned the bronze loose, they have been enjoying their freedom and roosting in the barn at night. I would see her dissapper during the day but always be back roosting at night, so figured she was building a nest somewhere.
Unfortunatly today we found where she was nesting, out about 200 ft from our bale yard into our hay field. The custom cutters showed up today and unfortunatly found her with the swather. Crying or Very sad He cut both her legs off before he even knew she was there, and then called my hubby at work to see what to do. I went out to see the damage and just so disheartening. I let Amy say her good byes and then put Rosie down, extremely hard to do but you could see how much she was suffering. The custom cutter felt really bad, but what can you do?

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2Hard day on us girls.... Empty Re: Hard day on us girls.... Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:22 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

So sorry to hear that, very sad day for all for sure...

Not much you can do but what you did and not really anyone's fault at all just the way it goes sometimes...hugs to all of you.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3Hard day on us girls.... Empty Re: Hard day on us girls.... Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:34 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this. Sad day for sure. Sending hugs your way!

XOX Monika

4Hard day on us girls.... Empty Re: Hard day on us girls.... Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks guys, yes nobody's fault at all. A person always thinks the kids will take it the hardest and they are sad, but my "optimist" daughter of course says she is just glad it was not her dog. So she is doing well. We have 4 little bronze turkey babies in the brooder that we will keep and she can tame another down as a pet if she likes.

5Hard day on us girls.... Empty Re: Hard day on us girls.... Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:40 pm

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh no....how sad. Hugs to you Girls. Amy you are as strong as your Momma!

6Hard day on us girls.... Empty Re: Hard day on us girls.... Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:22 pm

Oh so sorry to read this sad story. Never easy to lose a beloved pet, even in the most blameless and bizarre way. Glad to hear everyone is taking it somewhat in stride. Sending hugs to all you girls anyway.

7Hard day on us girls.... Empty Re: Hard day on us girls.... Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:13 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

So sorry to hear about the loss of Rosie. Sad Losing a pet is always tough. I’m glad your daughter is taking it well. Kids are amazingly resilient. I hope tomorrow is a brighter day for you all.

8Hard day on us girls.... Empty Re: Hard day on us girls.... Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:43 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

You should be so proud of your daughter Jayme for being so strong. That will stand her well through a lot of what life throws her way.

And so sorry to here about Rosie. I hope you are able to fill the gap that she left. The hardest part of animals I think as their lives are often so short compared to ours. So sad.

9Hard day on us girls.... Empty Re: Hard day on us girls.... Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:23 pm

That's the saddest story that I've read in a while ...........not sure what to say ?

10Hard day on us girls.... Empty Re: Hard day on us girls.... Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:37 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Awww, that is so sad, what a horrible thing to have happen, Amy you are going to be one stong lady.

11Hard day on us girls.... Empty Re: Hard day on us girls.... Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:52 pm

Oh That's so sad! Sorry that happened.

12Hard day on us girls.... Empty Re: Hard day on us girls.... Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:15 am

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Lossing animals is the only part of farm life I hate. It is so hard to weight the benefits of their freedom to the dangers. You want them happy and you want them safe but the two don't always seem to work together.
It was good you were there to make it easier for her.

13Hard day on us girls.... Empty Re: Hard day on us girls.... Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:31 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

It can happen so fast. When I was a kid we knew a family with a 3 legged dog. Same thing had happened to it. He got around really good though.

14Hard day on us girls.... Empty Re: Hard day on us girls.... Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:46 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I'm so sorry for you and your girls, Hidden. And poor Rosie Sad Accidents do happen and there's nothing that can be done. You have a strong little girl to be able to see a bright side like that.

15Hard day on us girls.... Empty Re: Hard day on us girls.... Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:40 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks everyone, we both had a good cry last night before bed. Always seems your emotions come out more when you are tired and I guess you let your guard down. We are all good this am again and although it is strange to not see her around the yard this morning we know she lived a good turkey life and enjoyed our time with her.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum