Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

just wondering

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1just wondering Empty just wondering Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:04 pm

kellyo72

New Here

I am just wondering when I'm suppose to give my turkey poults grit. They are 2 weeks old now. This is my first time raising turkeys Smile

2just wondering Empty Re: just wondering Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:11 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have never raised turkey, but have raised many chicks.

I do not give grit until I start giving grain. Hen scratch is grain and corn mixed. Chick scratch has been hammered to a smaller size, easier for chicks to eat and digest.

When I give grain in the diet, I give grit. If you only plan to ever feed them pellets, they do not need grit. If you plan to let them have grains, grass, and other stuff they might eat off the ground, at that time you need to give them grit too.

I have a little feeder that I keep full of grit all the time and allow the birds to pick what they want, when they want.

If you cannot find fine ground grit (which is pulverized granite, I think) you can let them have coarse sand, which is full of tiny stones. Just makes sure it is NOT salted road sand!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum