Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Turkey on the brain

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Turkey on the brain Empty Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:34 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well, it is official, I am totally turkey crazy!
This morning I woke up really upset. Totally ridiculous reason too. I had a dream! More of a nightmare really.
My husband loves that I call it a nightmare. His wake him up drenched in cold sweats. Or he wakes me up kicking or punching me, as he fights attackers in his sleep. Have to figure out why he's dreaming so much out of REM, but that is a different discussion!
This morning I woke up totally pissed off. A friend and I took birds to a discussion on keeping birds. Afterwards, we went for coffee, only to return to empty pens. I was incensed that anyone would have the audacity to steal our birds. Even worse, they stole my Bourbon poults. I was spitting mad. Good thing I woke up.
What a way to start the day -lol
Does anyone else have dreams like this?

2Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:36 am

Dreams so real  that they carry the anger straight into the waking hours ? have had many like that

3Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:06 am

I have very vivid dreams, really lucid and sensational.  I love my dreams as in them, I am often flying.  I have heard people say they would love to know what it feels like to fly, but I am certain I already know.  

My nightmares are even more vivid and terrifying.  They are often gory and traumatizing.  I can often realize I'm in a nightmare, and then the dream gets worse because panic sets in as I am unable to wake myself up.  The worst dreams, Moose shakes me awake because I am often screaming out loud as I am in my dream, trying to wake myself up.  I have had nightmares wherein I wake up, but still see the dream around me (ie if I have a wound in the nightmare, it takes me about 15-30 seconds to realize I don't have it or for the pain to stop).

My nightmares can leave me in a really bad way.  I have had terrors since I was a young child, and they are devastating.  A friend of mine, subsequently a mother, once made mention of how her son over-reacts to bad dreams and I sharply told her until you've had a night terror (not a night-mare-, a terror, there is a difference), don't judge his level of fear.

4Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:21 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I didn't realize night terrors continued to adulthood.
My girlfriend's daughter gets them. She used to wake the house with blood-curdling screams. Even more unsettling, she'd walk around sometimes. Horrid for others, must be even worse to be going through them.

5Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:37 am

auntieevil wrote:I didn't realize night terrors continued to adulthood.
My girlfriend's daughter gets them. She used to wake the house with blood-curdling screams. Even more unsettling, she'd walk around sometimes. Horrid for others, must be even worse to be going through them.

I can tell you the lucidity and realism of the terrors are torturous. I was told by a doctor, years ago, that people prone to migraines reported adulthood terrors more than those who weren't. And I am. It's a small population, less than 3% of adults I think I read somewhere. But less than 1% of migraine sufferers have auras, and I do.

Terrors are different from nightmares, really, in the magnitude of trauma, pain and fear that are induced during sleep, along with walking, running, punching, fighting, screaming and so on. I've heard of people running repeatedly into walls with night terrors because they just don't wake up. My terrors are often filled with blood and the loss of a loved one by some massacre, strewn about in pieces or ripped apart. I am often fighting to save people I love from things I cannot see or cannot see in their whole.

If I can see whatever is attacking, it has been the same man in my dreams since I was a child, and he is remarkably inhuman. He wears all black, and looks like a kind old man. He's tall, thin, pale, and hunched over with a cane. He wears a very wide brimmed black hat that covers his face due to his posture. I know it is him every time, and I know he is not a gentle elder the moment I see him. When I see his face, his eyes are black and the whites are a yellow grey. His skin is rubbery, like movie makeup, he wears thin gold framed glasses that sit low on his nose, and he always smiles at me. When he does, his smile spreads, literally, from ear to ear, wide and gaping, and his teeth are close together, long, thin and sharp, like opossum teeth would be if they were overcrowded, and he smells of death. In one book I've been working on but set aside, the antagonist is strongly based off his presence. The old man figure has never talked to me. He just brings death.

6Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:54 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Just hearing about your night visitor gives me the heebies...
Guess Steven King novels seem tame compared to what you go through. Ugh!

7Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:57 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Crazy dreams last night.

The Black Ameraucana chicks were getting big enough that we moved them to a proper pen with a heat lamp.  Then I heard one report of a frost warning for last night.  Figured it wouldn't happen this late in the year so I didn't even cover the tomatoes.

But then I dreamt that we had gotten snow and some of the chicks had died.  Knew it was a dream but still didn't really relax until I saw the chicks this morning. sheesh

8Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:08 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Interesting about the connection to migraines.  I'd never heard that before but it may apply to me.  Over the past few years, I've started twitching in my sleep.  Usually involves some sort of attack or theft that I have to fight off.  Poor wife sometimes gets kicked or slapped.  Seems to come in waves.  i might be good for 3 months and then have a bad 2 weeks.  Sometimes have to sleep on the couch just so we can both get some decent sleep.  Going to end up needing 2 beds like the TV couple in the 60's.

9Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:11 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:If I can see whatever is attacking, it has been the same man in my dreams since I was a child, and he is remarkably inhuman. He wears all black, and looks like a kind old man. He's tall, thin, pale, and hunched over with a cane. He wears a very wide brimmed black hat that covers his face due to his posture. I know it is him every time, and I know he is not a gentle elder the moment I see him. When I see his face, his eyes are black and the whites are a yellow grey. His skin is rubbery, like movie makeup, he wears thin gold framed glasses that sit low on his nose, and he always smiles at me. When he does, his smile spreads, literally, from ear to ear, wide and gaping, and his teeth are close together, long, thin and sharp, like opossum teeth would be if they were overcrowded, and he smells of death. In one book I've been working on but set aside, the antagonist is strongly based off his presence. The old man figure has never talked to me. He just brings death.

There!  Copy that paragraph and save it!  That is a perfect statement for a character in a book to be saying!

Might as well make use of possum-puss since he's being a bother.

10Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:15 am

The character already exists. His name is Mathias and he is a main character in my book that's been in the works for several years.

11Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:38 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have had those kinds of "dreams". They have never been nasty more like my birds wandered away. Once that unsettled thought has entered the brain you have to check.

I do have a reoccurring dream that never seems to end and on a bad night it NEVER ends. I'm usually in the coastal rainforest on a hike and pass by this river and there's the bear. He starts stalking me just when I think I'm okay I realize that I have gone in a circle. I can't seem to get far enough away I literally lose all my rational thinking. Everything I have learnt gone, by bye a total loss. I can wake up but as soon as I'm back to sleep I'm back where I left off.

A bear really a bear? I have lived up north and had many encounters with bears, had outdoor survival training. What I do know is that I had this dream from before I moved up north and was living down here in the Cariboo. It began when I was around 6 and now I'm in my thirties....

12Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:37 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've had the bear dream.  For me, it usually represents some huge obstacle that I don't know if I can overcome.  I usually know exactly what it was about when I wake up (usually workload at my job).

13Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:53 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Fowler wrote:Interesting about the connection to migraines.  I'd never heard that before but it may apply to me.  Over the past few years, I've started twitching in my sleep.  Usually involves some sort of attack or theft that I have to fight off.  Poor wife sometimes gets kicked or slapped.  Seems to come in waves.  i might be good for 3 months and then have a bad 2 weeks.  Sometimes have to sleep on the couch just so we can both get some decent sleep.  Going to end up needing 2 beds like the TV couple in the 60's.

Funny, when Bob gets into the kicking and smacking dreams, I bug him he is taking out some waking annoyance out on me. He is now becoming the cause of my nightmares -lol
Usually, as I am a light sleeper, I wake up and will wake him up. Sometimes he is really thankful, as he has some awful nasty dreams. He never gets headaches though. These ( the dreams) seem to be triggered by thriller movies or stressful work.
We had very different childhoods. I was protected and never in dire conditions. The same can't be said for him. Some very unfortunate things have happened to him.
Until now, I always thought his bad dreams were related to this. Unless you guys had some nasty things happen too?

14Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:37 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hub is a twitcher and a dreamer. His life stress level is revealed in his sleep patterns and the ferocity of his dreams. He also gets really bad when he reads Stephen King novels, which I have now forbidden, since the results are often painful. He literally, LEAPS from the bed and hits the ground running. This is VERY disturbing when you are in a dead sleep and someone charges out of the bed like the house is on fire, usually he is screaming. It sounds funny but it is not. The worst part is that he smashes headlong into whatever is in front of him. He is asleep and running, it is NOT safe! Usually he hits the half open  bedroom door or frame, once he ripped the closet door off its hinges. If I am quick I can sometimes grab the waistband of his underwear and snap him back into the bed. This is hard on underwear, but it saves him from a collision. If I am not quick enough, bang, something gets crashed into. I very quickly lose my patience with these nocturnal gymnastics, they are alarming and annoying and while HE goes back to sleep immediately, I do not.

I used to have recurring dreams as a child, about being chased and not able to escape, but those went away by the time I was 10. I also used to dream about flying, again those lovely dreams quit and I am stubbornly earth bound. I miss those dreams, I miss the magic.

One of the most disturbing dreams I ever had was shortly after my daughter was born. I dreamed  we were in an accident, my truck rolled and caught on fire. I was trying desperately to get her out of her car seat, all those damn snaps and buckles, trying to get her out of the burning truck, she was screaming. BUt both my hands had been torn off in the crash, all I had was bloody stumps, I could NOT get her out of her seat as she screamed and the flames got bigger. That nightmare has stayed with me forever.

AuntieEvil I hope you dream tonight that you find whoever stole your turkeys and you get  your turkeys back and kick the living bleep bleep out of those turkey thieves! There ought to be a special place in hell for turkey rustlers! I think in some states they still hang them.

15Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:09 pm

I've had dreams that in actuality were something that happened later in my life ? One dream is of me racing to beat a light and as I am running a yellow I get hit by a 18 wheeler .Years after having that dream constantly I was driving down a highway that I normally don't and I saw the light turn yellow ! I was just about to put the hammer down when it seemed I had been here before ? I didn't run the yellow ...............but a 18 wheeler ran through on his side ! scary to thik of what could have happened .Plus many more dreams that have turned into reality

16Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:20 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, wife gets annoyed.  But I don't blame her.  I'd probably be the same way if I was being woke from a deep sleep like that.

No, nothing tragic in my childhood (that I'm aware of).  I can occasionally link my restless dreams to some stress or other but sometimes there is no rhyme or reason.

Uno I agree, it's not funny.  I find it rather disturbing that my body is doing stuff on it's own without my permission.

This has also reminded me of a recurring dream I used to have.  I'd be facing a childhood bully and would be trying to call for help but I couldn't speak.  I think this was a confidence thing.  After I started taking martial arts in university, I had the dream again but this time I beat the living snot out of the bully.  Woke up feeling GREAT!!!  Haven't had the dream since.

17Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

So Sweetened has night terrors and Fowler has night Ninja. Cool. Not for Sweetened, though. Maybe she needs to sign up for a few marshal arts classes.

18Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:56 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

This is a really fun thread! Thanks everyone for sharing.
Perhaps Uno, you should buy hubby a harness and strap him to the bed. His night time frolics can become moonlit sleigh rides... Visitors seeing those straps, will think you are kinky, but hey.
At least now I don't feel so bad about the tossing, kicking and smacking going on here. It could be a chariot race, or night time demolition  affraid
Instead of catching the turkey ras-lers myself, I'll get Ninja Fowler to do it for me. I'm still a wimp in my dreams... Probably 'cause I get beat up so much -lol
Hey Prairie Dog, get yourself to have a reoccurring dream that someone is handing you millions of dollars, and then remember your ACE family Wink

19Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Yea , wouldn't that be sweet ! unfortunately I think I would be so busy that I might just not have any time to spend here ? ..........but in the real world I don't have that kind of luck .I seem a odd bird out at times ? I've had a tea reader who refused to read my tea leaves, and she was the mother to a girl I was dateing at the time ? I've been followed by what I thought were Gypsies? not sure about that ,but they were just staring at me ??,they were following me around in a taxi for quite a while till I had enough and lost them ! Card readers won't read my cards .as well as palm readers ?? they just look at me and say "" NO "' ?? ...............But a few Millions would get me past that point I think .....LOL....

20Turkey on the brain Empty Re: Turkey on the brain Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:58 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hey, it is worth a try! Just remember your inspiration Smile
The gypsies probably thought you already had the millions, and wanted some....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum