Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SUmmer duck reading.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1SUmmer duck reading. Empty SUmmer duck reading. Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:31 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I see pictures of people reclined lakeside, feet in flip-flops, a table near at hand with a tall, cool drink. An umbrella the size of a UFO standing nearby for just the right amount of shade. No noisy crowds, no ringing (vibrating) phones, no nattering hordes needing their work pants washed. No, just a blissful soul, stretched out in a summer chaise, reading a book.

Reading a book.

How do people manage it? How do people find time to read? IT seems to me the ultimate luxury to just take time to read a book. I look upon these daylight book readers as if they are a different species, somehow set apart and above. I would LOVE to read a book in daylight hours, what a forbidden pleasure. But it simply will never happen. Not in this life. THe time is not there. The pressing things that need to be done press and press and press.

Until today. I have discovered the secret of summertime book reading. Ducks. Get some ducks. It took the day to get the bugs ironed out but tomorrow my ducks will provide summertime reading. THis is how it happens. Pay close attention that you too may have ducks AND summertime reading.

1) buy a property crawling with predators, both flying and footed.
2) get some ducklings
3) realize that your ducklings are, well, sitting ducks when it comes to predators and they CANNOT be left outside unattended to graze. Ever.
4) install ducks in covered run and give them a pool to paddle in
5) clean the stinky pool and refill with fresh water
6) clean the stinky pool and refill with fresh water
7) clean the stinky pool and refill with fresh water
Cool clean the stinky pool and refill with fresh water
9) to hell with this!
10) observe that ducks pick up mud, carry it to their wading pool and spit it into the water.
11) resolve that you are going to remove the wading pool to a grassy area outside their pen, and only give them a small black horse feeder to splash and dunk their heads in because you can tip that over to clean, as opposed to syphoning out 40 gallons of water for half an hour.
12) set up wading pool in a grassy area where ducks can splash and graze with no mud nearby.
13) bring a lawn chair, little table, bug spray, stick for beating predators and the dog, and a book. Make sure you can move your chair into shade.
14) do a test run to see if ducks and geese can be herded. Sort of. Sort of herd them over to their new pool site.
15) when they are happily splashing and pooping in their pool, popping in and out to eat grass and back in for a splash, settle in lawn chair and open book.
16) keep one eye on the tree line. If a coyote comes out and you have your stick, you can take him. If that big, injured brown bear comes out, rethink hitting him and have your escape route planned.
17) Read. Gloat. Swat a mosquito. Summer duck reading. I totally deserve it.

2SUmmer duck reading. Empty Re: SUmmer duck reading. Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:48 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Very Happy Gave me a big smile LOL yes I quite often get everything set up and "safe" then bring out the wee quackers but usually get too busy watching them or taking pics of them to read Very Happy   

If you cleaned their pool everytime it got a bit dirty you could clean all day long!  I got some black doggie washing kiddie pools last year which are perfect for the adults!  They hold enough water for them to splash and paddle but easy for me to dump out and refill without emptying the well hehe

Definately need bug spray this year if only it worked for the trillions of caterpillars yeck!

3SUmmer duck reading. Empty Re: SUmmer duck reading. Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:00 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

I used to be a voracious reader, but being out in the country now, spare time is at a premium, if not non-existent.  I love your idea.  Gotta implement it some day.  Putting my feet up to watch the chickens just doesn't work because in no time my lap is full!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum