Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Failure Imminent (?)

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Failure Imminent (?) Empty Failure Imminent (?) Fri May 31, 2013 12:07 pm

My garden is... dismal. There was a friend of mine who owns a farm down the way that was supposed to come till up my current as well as 3 other new garden spaces for me, and he never did. He's been saying "Next weekend" for 6 weeks, after originally telling me no. He changed his mind by saying "I just got the tiller fixed, so I can come do it [ready?] next week."

So I've ripped up parts of the grass enough to plant some squash in there (which looks dismal). My plant starts were terrible. At 8 weeks old, my tomatoes were only 3 inches tall so I've planted a bunch from seed at the end of MAY in a growing season less than 3 months long. Suspect There are potatoes in, corn planted somewhere, some squash plants in the ground, peas up the trellises (old pull out couch frames) but not nearly enough, spinach that self seeded and some wanna be tomato and pepper plants. I've planted herbs from seed, radishes and beats, and there's a couple, already bitter, lettuce heads growing. pale

I'm so mad and disappointed in myself it's just stupid Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad

2Failure Imminent (?) Empty Re: Failure Imminent (?) Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:19 am

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Don't beat yourself up. There is a lot to get done in the springtime. You'll do better next year. Now find a large plant pot (like 1/2 barrel size) and go to the garden shop and find a couple of heritage tomato plants about 10 or 12" high and a couple of nice slicing or English cucumbers and put them in a sunny spot in a place where you will see them every day so you will be reminded to water them. Remember to remove all but the last 2 or 3 sets of leaves from the tomatoes and plant them up to the leaves deep. They'll grow faster and stronger that way. Be sure and put lots of manure in there. Horse or rabbit manure can be used fresh. Any other kind should be aged.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

3Failure Imminent (?) Empty Re: Failure Imminent (?) Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:05 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

SucellusFarms wrote:Don't beat yourself up. There is a lot to get done in the springtime. You'll do better next year. Now find a large plant pot (like 1/2 barrel size) and go to the garden shop and find a couple of heritage tomato plants about 10 or 12" high and a couple of nice slicing or English cucumbers and put them in a sunny spot in a place where you will see them every day so you will be reminded to water them. Remember to remove all but the last 2 or 3 sets of leaves from the tomatoes and plant them up to the leaves deep. They'll grow faster and stronger that way. Be sure and put lots of manure in there. Horse or rabbit manure can be used fresh. Any other kind should be aged.

I didn't know horse manure could be used fresh! That is the BEST news as we have 7 of those fertilizer production machines here. Now poop scooping will have even more satisfaction! Very true about deep planting the tomato plants. They are "stem rooters" and it works great! I would also like to second the "Don't beat yourself up" part..... there are only so many hours in a day.

4Failure Imminent (?) Empty Re: Failure Imminent (?) Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:48 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I do wait until the horse manure dries. Java has a run in shelter where the ground stays dry and she squashes the horse apples into dust. I fill any new raised beds with it.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

5Failure Imminent (?) Empty Re: Failure Imminent (?) Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:02 am

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

I would be careful about using horse manure fresh, most of the literature I've read recommend aging it for a year. Rabbit manure is okay according to "the experts" for fresh use! The horse manure may depend on what their eating, a racehorse on a high performance diet may produce something a little more potent then old Joe who lives on grass hay.

Throw a second round of peas in if you don't have enough, Sweetened. Don't know if your suffering from the same cool, wet weather we are, but they like it cooler. Same with the lettuce, (though I've never had any luck getting it to grow and not be bitter as heck!) you could try a fall crop. I also seem to recall someone, maybe Hillbilly, recommending squashes be grown on a manure pile, the decomposing goodies keep the 'soil' warm, and the squashes love it. Don't give up just yet, sometimes the green things will surprise you!

6Failure Imminent (?) Empty Re: Failure Imminent (?) Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sweetened wrote:My garden is... dismal. There was a friend of mine who owns a farm down the way that was supposed to come till up my current as well as 3 other new garden spaces for me, and he never did. He's been saying "Next weekend" for 6 weeks, after originally telling me no. He changed his mind by saying "I just got the tiller fixed, so I can come do it [ready?] next week."

So I've ripped up parts of the grass enough to plant some squash in there (which looks dismal). My plant starts were terrible. At 8 weeks old, my tomatoes were only 3 inches tall so I've planted a bunch from seed at the end of MAY in a growing season less than 3 months long. Suspect There are potatoes in, corn planted somewhere, some squash plants in the ground, peas up the trellises (old pull out couch frames) but not nearly enough, spinach that self seeded and some wanna be tomato and pepper plants. I've planted herbs from seed, radishes and beats, and there's a couple, already bitter, lettuce heads growing. pale

I'm so mad and disappointed in myself it's just stupid Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad

We just got our garden in today. Hopefully we get an ok haul this year. So much stuff to get done in the first year of farm set up!

7Failure Imminent (?) Empty Re: Failure Imminent (?) Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

The best I've done so far is 2 tomato plants and 2 pots of spinach and 2 pots of cucumbers. So I would say everybody has me beat hands down.

I do wish you luck though, sweetened.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum