Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do I make plans?

+8
coopslave
SucellusFarms
Schipperkesue
authenticfarm
SerJay
ipf
Hillbilly
uno
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Do I make plans? Empty Do I make plans? Thu May 30, 2013 6:52 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

It often seems like I get up every morning with a set list of things I want to accomplish, but it just never happens. Why? After paying attention to myself, I think I know. Either I am attention deficit, or there is too much that needs my attention. I can't be alone in this!

Sat down at comp to check WCPS. Heard horse whinny outside. Odd. They don't make any noise unless something is up. Put on boots and go investigate. Find Lily high centred on a skinny cedar tree. How on earth did that happen and how on earth am I going to get her off of there?

While contemplating how risky this might be, or not, observe that Lily seems not the least distressed and is in fact rocking back and forth over the branches of the tree. Ah! Itchy belly.

Spend a moment risking life and limb to get Lily off the tree and feel her stomach. Crusted and oozing from those filthy blackflies, demonic little biters that they are! Give her a tummy scratch while her upper lip does acrobatics with glee. Decide to get homemade horse concoction out of tack shed and coat her stomach.

Open drawer in tack shed and find mouse poop. Damn mice! Someone left the door open (DAUGHTER) and mice have pooped on everything and chewed holes in stored chicken feed. Must set a trap. Where is a trap? I'll get the one out of my truck. While at truck notice rear window is rolled down. Start truck to roll it up. Get trap and head back to tack shed. Set trap.

Head back to horses, kick a turd on the way. Under turd is monster earthworm. I should really start a worm habitat. Hub is taking some time off soon and we might want to do some fishing. Then I will wish I had worms. No time like the present, I've always meant to do it. Head back to tack shed to grab bucket and shovel. Start digging around manure pile tossing worms in bucket. Only the second worms know you have a bucket, they disappear. Worm telepathy. Leave manure pile and move into swamp where there are no worms either, but a zillion mosquitoes and after 7000 bites, run screaming out of the bush, and toss worm bucket into the hay shed.

It's just about dinner time. Head to house. Wait! I was supposed to put salve on horse's belly. Go back to tack shed, get salve, slather on horse. On way back to tack shed kick another turd. Find a worm. Put down the salve and start picking worms. When my fist is full of worms, head to worm bucket in hay shed to dump worms. Now head to house. DAMN! The salve is still sitting in the middle of the horse pen. Go back and get salve, take it to the tack shed.

In tack shed, with trap set and a pile of starter crumbles on the floor from a chewed bag, wonder if the mice have chewed any saddle pads. Start digging through the saddle pads. Dog comes in and starts sniffing around the corners. Good, find that mouse. No saddle pad damage, better go make dinner. Go to house. Half way to house hear whimpering sounds. What now? Oh! Dog is locked in tack shed. Go back and get dog.

Come in house and ponder the fridge and what culinary delights it holds. It holds a dozen eggs and some wilted celery. Hmmm. Good grief! Remember that you left the computer to check the horses and the computer is still on WCPS and your post never got made. Sit down to write post when phone rings. IT's HUb. Do we need anything? " I think we need to go out for dinner since there is nothing to eat here, but the good news is I've got worms!"

I have quit writing do-lists, things just go sideways no matter what.

2Do I make plans? Empty Re: Do I make plans? Thu May 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh this sounds all too familiar. Wife suffers from this too.

3Do I make plans? Empty Re: Do I make plans? Thu May 30, 2013 8:24 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sounds like the start (mid-point) of a BRILLIANT (best farm ever) blog. . . .

4Do I make plans? Empty Re: Do I make plans? Thu May 30, 2013 8:35 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yep my day everyday Very Happy You know it was really one of those days when I finally find my morning coffee cup (usually mostly full) as I do chores at night or as I chase kids while making dinner Rolling Eyes

5Do I make plans? Empty Re: Do I make plans? Thu May 30, 2013 9:25 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Seems about right.

Also, those ingredients = egg salad sandwiches.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

6Do I make plans? Empty Re: Do I make plans? Thu May 30, 2013 9:52 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You have described my non-work life.

Except I make lists and try to follow them. And then cross things off. I love to cross things off. Sometimes I will write something on the list that is not there, and I did it anyway, just so I can cross it off.

7Do I make plans? Empty Re: Do I make plans? Thu May 30, 2013 9:58 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:You have described my non-work life.

Except I make lists and try to follow them. And then cross things off. I love to cross things off. Sometimes I will write something on the list that is not there, and I did it anyway, just so I can cross it off.

Are you my sister from another mister??? Shocked

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

8Do I make plans? Empty Re: Do I make plans? Thu May 30, 2013 10:04 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am afraid it may be true, Authentic.

9Do I make plans? Empty Re: Do I make plans? Thu May 30, 2013 10:26 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Definitely sounds like my typical day! I sat down here an hour ago to work on the farm bookkeeping....

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

10Do I make plans? Empty Re: Do I make plans? Thu May 30, 2013 10:40 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

When I was first married and home on my summer holidays from school hubby would ask me 'what are you going to do today' before he left for work. I would tell him all the things I had planned in my head to get done that day.

I would ultimately have days just like you had Uno, and hubby would come home and look around at all the things I had planned to do that didn't get done.

Now when he asks me I say 'I plan to do absolutely nothing today', that way anything I get done is a bonus! Wink Laughing

Try having your work desk at home, it is a constant struggle for me. I so desperately want the ranch office in another building I can go to and not become distracted by all the 'home' things that need doing too!!!!!

11Do I make plans? Empty Re: Do I make plans? Thu May 30, 2013 11:00 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

aaaahhhhh so happy i am not alone ...i also make lists; they are endless it seems, and always more things to add. I also will write stuff on my list that i have already done just so i can cross it off. So satisfying.

12Do I make plans? Empty Re: Do I make plans? Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I make lists on stickies (you know you can get REALLY BIG stickies now?) and put them in my diary. Then I can move them from one day to the next without copying them out again.

I have my ranch office in a different building but all the work (and the computer) migrate with me so all it means is I have TWO piles of paper in two different locations (beside me on the sofa being one). Tomorrow is mail day and I have cheques here but no envelopes. Sigh.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

13Do I make plans? Empty Re: Do I make plans? Fri May 31, 2013 8:17 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sounds oh so familiar... Still write lists though, as I too like to scratch chores off. Too bad I add three jobs for every one that is removed.

14Do I make plans? Empty Re: Do I make plans? Fri May 31, 2013 11:50 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sounds very familiar. My biggest peeve though is that when I go to do something I have to fix seven things before I can get to the job. Usually three pieces of machinery a few fences, a gate or two and maybe a neighbours marriage or some such.

15Do I make plans? Empty Re: Do I make plans? Fri May 31, 2013 12:05 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Or a five minute job takes half an hour of collecting materials and tools.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum