Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanted - 2 or 3 one year old laying hens (FOUND)

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sphens

New Here

Would love a couple birds that are laying well this year. I have 4 that hatched this spring, but really want eggs this summer!

Breed not that important, although not really interested in white leghorns.

I live in Strathcona County, so the closer the better!

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Hey,

I have a few hens here that are crosses, that need a break from roosters. They are healthy, just looking rough cause of aggressive mating from a young rooster.

They are laying, one is broody so I am trying to break her right now.
I am getting out of crosses and sticking with my heritage breeds.

If you are interested I can send you pics. Not asking a whole lot, just want them to go to a good home!

I live in Strathcona County, near Hiway 21 Esso.

Sphens

New Here

Would love to see pictures, should I send you my email or can it be done on here?

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

I can post them here.

Let me go take some pics.

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Ok here are the pics I just took.

Like mentioned they are looking rough right now, from breeding. They are healthy otherwise. I have not yet dewormed them as I have been collecting their eggs as eating eggs.

First is a hen I named "Zebra" she is an EO (Euskal Oiloa) The last of my EO's. Would like her to go to a good home.
Wanted - 2 or 3 one year old laying hens (FOUND) 3c4f8985-f08d-4ce9-9e30-88d0fc7af9ee

Second is what I call a Blaff Orpington, She is from a Black Orpington hen breed to a Buff Orpington Rooster.
Wanted - 2 or 3 one year old laying hens (FOUND) IMG_3611

I also have what I am calling a BLaFT Orpinton. It is a Blue, Buff and Black Orpington Cross. She is showing all three colours in her plumage.
She is the one on the left in this pic
Wanted - 2 or 3 one year old laying hens (FOUND) IMG_3621

Sphens

New Here

They look way better than some birds I bought 2 years ago!! Can you tell me how much you want for them? Are they all one year?

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

I would like to get at least $20 per hen.

Zebra was hatched last year, and correction she was named by my Niece Emily.. lol She is 1 year old.

Alice the BLaFT hen is I believe one year old, as well I will have to look back I got her from a good friend, of mine with Jasper. You don't need a rooster do you? LOL he would be free providing you provide him with a good home Very Happy

The third one I never named, She was hatched from my lines in spring 2012, so she is a year old as well.

Now I have a 4th hen, she is a Light Sussex, but a poor quality one. She is the broody hen I mentioned. I have been trying to break her for weeks now. She has a habit of crushing the eggs, so she is filthy and stinks and could use more than a bath, like a car wash.
I have moved her numerous times. She is a determined thing that is for sure.

I can take a pic, but I warn you, be prepared for the Stink eye look.. lol

Sphens

New Here

They are very nice looking hens, but we were only looking to spend $12-14 each. Not sure if that's wishful thinking on my part but if you are not in a hurry, I will contact you again if I can't find anything more in my price range. I do really appreciate your time! P.S We are not looking for a rooster right now, thx!

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Sounds good,

Let me know.. I will be bringing them to the Millet Sale otherwise.

Well I got lucky, no stink eye cheers

She came out for treats!

Here is the Light Sussex, she doesn't have the nice markings as the rest of my Light Sussex.
I would only ask that if you want this hen, isolate her as she has an attitude right now... LOL, Mega Broody attitude. She pecks anyone near her and freaks even if a feather moves on the ground.. Smile
She has been hiding in the corner of our coop, stealing eggs as the other hens lay them.

I would only ask $10.00 for her. She is 1 year old as well 2012 Spring hatch. She is not laying at the moment, but once she is broke she will lay again.

Pic
Wanted - 2 or 3 one year old laying hens (FOUND) IMG_3645

Sphens

New Here

I would definitely take the 3 for $15 each. But we only have one coop, so I can't take the broody one, sorry! Is that ok?

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Sphens wrote:I would definitely take the 3 for $15 each. But we only have one coop, so I can't take the broody one, sorry! Is that ok?

That sounds good to me.

Did you want to meet tomorrow? Or thursday?
I am heading out tonight, taking my fiancé to a pro wrestling event, Yeah KareBare2 is a wrestling freak.. lol

But I will be home and can delivery them or meet you somewhere.

feel free to email me at jonathansamis@gmail.com

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Lovely young hens...you got a steal of a deal, sphens!
(I just have to use this new emoticon...so cute!)

Wanted - 2 or 3 one year old laying hens (FOUND) 931874130

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Jonny......If that EO hen is not sold I will give you more than asking price, could pick-up at Millet Sale,

I really want an EO hen. Probably my only chance?

Can you please let me know if she is sold? She would get a very good home. Insulated coop etc.

Thank you. Kathy.

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

As things stand the hens are spoken for!

I am hoping to meet with sphens tomorrow evening, so she can see the three gals and decide if she would like them to join her flock.
Turns out sphens knows my sweetheart Karrie through work. Such a small world.

If she does not want Zebra I will contact you Very Happy

Sphens

New Here

Got 3 beautiful hens tonight! Thanks so much Jonny!

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

It was a pleasure to meet you tonight, we are so glad you like the hens.
You have a very nice place and home for them, I think they will be very happy and lay you some great eggs!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum