Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

geese people what do I do?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1geese people  what do I do? Empty geese people what do I do? Sun May 26, 2013 11:38 am

vic's chicks

I have too many choices. We went to see some pilgrims yesterday . They have stock from holdereads and metzers. They have about forty geese . The gentleman who owns them prefers to not get too friendly with them because he said they can be annoying and make his life difficult when they follow him every.where and get into what he is trying to work at. He also finds the males nip at him more during breeding season if they are too tame. Is this the norm? He has 2 day olds that are with the parents, one week olds that are with the parents. He has a male and female that are a few weeks old that have been hand raised. He suggested we get some when they have feathered out. His setup was amazing We saw about 40 geese while we were there He has a huge pond with an Island in the middle. ,We did not notice any aggression towards us when we were even a few yards away from the goslings. They were all very calm (good for us because moments before a motorcycle hit us at high speed, totalling our car, we were anything but calm) I am not sure how many to get. A trio? five? six? What ages to get? Do I go for the hand raised and some of the bird raised? I have no experience here, so need some advice from you veteran goose people. I was so glad my husband liked them. He was chased by neighbours geese at one time and was not that sure he wanted to have any.

2geese people  what do I do? Empty Re: geese people what do I do? Sun May 26, 2013 1:49 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

He sounds like someone I would like to buy from. Knows his stuff! I would get a trio then go back for more next year if you like them and need them.

3geese people  what do I do? Empty Re: geese people what do I do? Sun May 26, 2013 2:29 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

My Tolouse ganders try and nip during breeding season (do they think I'm sexy?) but I read that the best response is to take them gently by the neck and hold them down in the subservient position until they go limp/relax. This indicates that they submit. It works wonderfully the first time! - they didn't struggle and afterwards were most apologetic! Now I only need to show them "the hand" in the "grasp your neck" position and they go submissive. They really are bright birds who want to interact with people. The only thing I have to remember is that they won't respect strangers (but really, that's one of their jobs, so can't fault that).

The Shetland geese are so gentle they never try to nip. Or at least haven't so far, just hissing if they feel at risk.

I'd get feathered out but young and start with a trio. That I think would be the least work and hardiest.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum