Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spot on Yolk

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Spot on Yolk  Empty Spot on Yolk Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 pm

So I hear people mentioning that there is a dark spot ( pin head dot ) on some of the eggs ( yolk )that we sell sometimes ? I have never really looked that close at any egg to notice anything ? Yet I'm curious if this is normal ? is it something to do with there diet ? Stress ( they live the life of Luxury )? I have read about this somewhere ,but I can't remember if anything was mentioned as to what it is ??Anyone have any ideas as to why this might happen ??

2Spot on Yolk  Empty Re: Spot on Yolk Mon May 13, 2013 9:25 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Blood spot? Meat spot? They can occur on the yolk, or in the white. Can be small, can be large. Brown layers have it worst. My birds have had RAMPANT blood spots for years which leads me to believe it's genetically inherited trait.

This batch of layers isn't so bad, but I NEVER break an egg directly into a frying pan or bowl of cake batter. I always break it in a bowl and examine for yuckiness. Pick out the icky bits, if there are any, and proceed. A blood spot is not a problem (although they cause eggs to not hatch, this is my experience) but I just am groozled by them.

3Spot on Yolk  Empty Re: Spot on Yolk Mon May 13, 2013 9:48 pm

Let your eggs sit for 2 weeks in the fridge and you wont see them anymore.

Blood spots fade over time and are a sign of freshness, you can only candle for the huge blood spots.

4Spot on Yolk  Empty Re: Spot on Yolk Mon May 13, 2013 9:56 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I see them occasionally on even store-bought eggs. No biggie.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

5Spot on Yolk  Empty Re: Spot on Yolk Tue May 14, 2013 4:50 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sweetened wrote:Let your eggs sit for 2 weeks in the fridge and you wont see them anymore.

Blood spots fade over time and are a sign of freshness, you can only candle for the huge blood spots.

This is interesting. I never knew this. I try to sell out my eggs every week, but always worry about losing customers over the occasional blood spot. I try to get rid of them weekly to maintain freshness, but maybe it i sold two week old eggs I could worry less about selling blood spotted ones!

Hmm...

Last edited by DCChick on Tue May 14, 2013 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Me and auto correct are not friends)

6Spot on Yolk  Empty Re: Spot on Yolk Tue May 14, 2013 4:53 pm

DCChick wrote:This is interesting. I never knew this. I try to sell out my eggs every week, but always worry about losing customers over the occasional blood spot. I try to get rid of them weekly to maintain freshness, but maybe it i sold two eek old egg I cou of worry less about selling blood spotted ones!

Hmm...

Its the other reason you don't uuuusually find them from commercially produced eggs. I let my personal eggs age for at least a week or two, simply because I lose over half the egg when peeling if I hard boil when I use them fresh.

Any eggs I plan to age, I do so in the fridge or, when the basement stays cold, I leave them in the basement.

7Spot on Yolk  Empty Re: Spot on Yolk Tue May 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I had a lady buying eggs from me who had a son who had laying hens when he was at home. She had called the Manitoba egg producers to find out about selling eggs before he sold them. She was told that the eggs in the store could be up to 8 weeks old by the time they get to the store . So letting your eggs sit for a few weeks is nothing. She was very willing to pay 4.00 a dozen for my fresh eggs and she bought all I had. I don't have that many hens.
Geri

8Spot on Yolk  Empty Re: Spot on Yolk Tue May 14, 2013 5:52 pm

I have never had any issues hatching my own eggs from my hens ? I think some people are so used to store bought that they wouldn't know what is what if it hit them on the head ! Someone once commented on how Yellow the yolks were on the eggs they had bought from us ?? was concerned that maybe something was wrong .......indeed there was !....with them that is !

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum