Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Not happy at All

+5
auntieevil
pfarms
uno
poplar girl
Susan
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Not happy at All  Empty Not happy at All Fri May 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have been getting raw milk for a number of years now from "a friend ". This week he was shut down by CFIA. I am not happy at all. I am not an uneducated consumer. I have a lot of education in microbiology, nutrition and animal medicine. And yet I choose to buy raw milk. My choice. Isn't it? No. The law dictates what I can consume and purchase. Fine if i raise it myself, if not, it is deemed illegal. Not pleased. What are your thoughts?

2Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Fri May 03, 2013 8:26 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My intent is to buy a goat.

As for the fact that raw milk is illegal to sell for human consumption, I think it's absurd.

3Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Fri May 03, 2013 9:16 pm

Yet they have done tests on children who are lactose intolerant who can drink "" farm "" milk without any adverse effects ? Seems like the REAL thing is better for you after all ? We should all buy a cow and milk it and see what they would say then ?? Nobody is ever going to tell me what I can and can't do when it comes to what I put into my body !

4Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Fri May 03, 2013 11:38 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Canned dog food is a product NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION sold on the shelves of our grocery stores. If you were to buy a tin and eat it at home on crackers, who is to know and who is to stop you? All raw milk should be sold to people with dogs and kids. Clearly labelled, for pet consumption only, or kids, who have lost their goat mother. Gee.

5Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Sat May 04, 2013 9:13 am

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

It is not that simple. Here in AB, it is illegal to sell raw milk. But it is also illegal to transport it without a permit. Taken a step farther, it is also illegal for me to give visitors to my home raw milk from my own animals. The fine for transporting raw milk is higher then selling it, even if it is marked for animal consumption only.

I think that people should have a right to choose. Coming from the states and living in a state that allowed raw milk, I really dislike the laws concerning it here. Recently in the states the FDA has stated that it is not a constitutional right for people to be healthy. It should not be up to a government to decide what people can and can not eat. It is a god given right to be healthy and eat well!

We have two people here that can not drink milk from the store. My MIL has reactions to the additives in the milk in stores. My 2 yr old gets severely ill. Throwing up and diarrhea when she consumes any milk, cream, or ice cream from the store. Yet here with our own cows, she can drink a gallon of milk, have as much cream as she wants, and eat ice cream all day with no reactions. We did no have a cow in milk when she was a year old. I had to buy lactaid until our cow calved. I remember the first time she had it. For three days she drank nothing but milk and averaged a gallon a day. Then she leveled off and started drinking it normally after that.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

6Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Sat May 04, 2013 6:25 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

pfarms wrote:It is not that simple. Here in AB, it is illegal to sell raw milk. But it is also illegal to transport it without a permit. Taken a step farther, it is also illegal for me to give visitors to my home raw milk from my own animals. The fine for transporting raw milk is higher then selling it, even if it is marked for animal consumption only.

I think that people should have a right to choose. Coming from the states and living in a state that allowed raw milk, I really dislike the laws concerning it here. Recently in the states the FDA has stated that it is not a constitutional right for people to be healthy. It should not be up to a government to decide what people can and can not eat. It is a god given right to be healthy and eat well!

We have two people here that can not drink milk from the store. My MIL has reactions to the additives in the milk in stores. My 2 yr old gets severely ill. Throwing up and diarrhea when she consumes any milk, cream, or ice cream from the store. Yet here with our own cows, she can drink a gallon of milk, have as much cream as she wants, and eat ice cream all day with no reactions. We did no have a cow in milk when she was a year old. I had to buy lactaid until our cow calved. I remember the first time she had it. For three days she drank nothing but milk and averaged a gallon a day. Then she leveled off and started drinking it normally after that.
My son gets the same reactions to store bought milk, yet he guzzles lots of fresh goat milk and cream without problems. In fact, he used to get asthma-like shortness of breath, until we got the goat's milk.
I wonder if a person could take a clean store carton and use it to transport the stuff? Short of testing it, how would anyone know?
People really do deserve a choice....

7Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Sat May 04, 2013 7:03 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think it would be interesting to have a choice. I am sure it would be possible to test the milk for dangerous bacteria before putting it in the carton and into the grocery store. We could have our cake and eat it too!

8Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Sat May 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Schippersue wrote:I think it would be interesting to have a choice. I am sure it would be possible to test the milk for dangerous bacteria before putting it in the carton and into the grocery store. We could have our cake and eat it too!
.......Maybe it's what they put into the milk after here process is done that is harmful ? Not that educated with the whole process ,but I have heard enough to know that they pretty much kill it them introduce what the deem as being good for you ? There is enough lititure out there that they are aware of ,it's more a issue of being in control ,nothing else .This nation was raised on farm milk for years ,we all survived just fine ......and yet we are wrong Mad ...............go figure ~

9Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Sat May 04, 2013 9:03 pm

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

prairie dog wrote:
Schippersue wrote:I think it would be interesting to have a choice. I am sure it would be possible to test the milk for dangerous bacteria before putting it in the carton and into the grocery store. We could have our cake and eat it too!
.......Maybe it's what they put into the milk after here process is done that is harmful ? Not that educated with the whole process ,but I have heard enough to know that they pretty much kill it them introduce what the deem as being good for you ? There is enough lititure out there that they are aware of ,it's more a issue of being in control ,nothing else .This nation was raised on farm milk for years ,we all survived just fine ......and yet we are wrong Mad ...............go figure ~

Basically, the short version of the process is this:

Milked from the cow
Pumped through lines to a bulk tank where it is cooled
It is kept there for two to three days
Then it is sent on for testing for antibiotics and bacteria levels
Then (if accepted) it is pasteurized
Then they add in vit ade at the least (which you really do not want to know the difference chemicals they use to get those so called vitamins)
Then it is homogenized
Then packaged
Then shipped off to the stores in a cold truck

The whole process takes about a week to make, then it is transported and then it is put on the store shelf.

As for testing raw milk. YES Sue! There is a way, it is done in most of the states that regulate milk in the states. It has to be negative on certain bacteria and under certain amounts of somatic cell counts.

We have been working on getting our permits for doing dairy. We cant do raw, but we only have to pasteurize it and none of the other things. Getting the buildings and equipment built is taking a while as it will cost us around $60K to just do the basics.

10Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Sat May 04, 2013 9:04 pm

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

auntieevil wrote:
pfarms wrote:It is not that simple. Here in AB, it is illegal to sell raw milk. But it is also illegal to transport it without a permit. Taken a step farther, it is also illegal for me to give visitors to my home raw milk from my own animals. The fine for transporting raw milk is higher then selling it, even if it is marked for animal consumption only.

My son gets the same reactions to store bought milk, yet he guzzles lots of fresh goat milk and cream without problems. In fact, he used to get asthma-like shortness of breath, until we got the goat's milk.
I wonder if a person could take a clean store carton and use it to transport the stuff? Short of testing it, how would anyone know?
People really do deserve a choice....

I found that when I travel, if I can find a dairy that only pasteurizes the milk, she can drink that all she wants also.

11Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Sat May 04, 2013 9:50 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I get my raw milk from the grocery store in Bellingham and bring it home across the border with no problem. I think people should start keeping a goat or small cow as a 'pet' in their city back yard. If they get any trouble say its not fair that only farmers get to drink raw milk. The whole thing is way out of hand! Government has its hand way too far into our business. Its not our mother!!

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

12Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Sun May 05, 2013 5:37 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I used to love chocolate milk (too much sugar, I know but I still couldn't resist).

Then I heard a food guy on CBC. Turns out that chocolate milk is just milk that came in with too high a bacterial count. It can't be sold as regular milk so they cook the crap out of it and add chocolate flavouring to cover up the burnt taste.

I don't drink chocolate milk any more. ewww Shocked

13Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Sun May 05, 2013 6:53 am

gubi

Fowler wrote:I used to love chocolate milk (too much sugar, I know but I still couldn't resist).

Then I heard a food guy on CBC. Turns out that chocolate milk is just milk that came in with too high a bacterial count. It can't be sold as regular milk so they cook the crap out of it and add chocolate flavouring to cover up the burnt taste.

That's just BS propaganda by PETA! We like choclate milk too but we usually dilute it 1 part choclate milk to 3 parts milk.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

14Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Sun May 05, 2013 10:44 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

gubi wrote:
Fowler wrote:I used to love chocolate milk (too much sugar, I know but I still couldn't resist).

That's just BS propaganda by PETA! We like choclate milk too but we usually dilute it 1 part choclate milk to 3 parts milk.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The guy wasn't with PETA. He was a food scientist discussing different types of food production and he actually thought the process was an ingenius way of using an otherwise unusable product. There was nothing said about the milk having blood.

15Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Sun May 05, 2013 1:51 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have never heard about the chocolate milk, but I know grade B eggs (those with cracks and not allowed on the shelves) are used for liquid egg products.

16Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Sun May 05, 2013 6:33 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Susan wrote:I have never heard about the chocolate milk, but I know grade B eggs (those with cracks and not allowed on the shelves) are used for liquid egg products.

It's the same with potatoes. As you go down grades, they get used for other things.

17Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Sun May 05, 2013 6:40 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Off on a tangent here...I don't even drink milk, but I will not turn my nose up at a bloody egg. You cook it right? You eat chicken, right? If you eat chicken you are also eating some cooked chicken blood. I see no difference.

Besides, blood in an egg sure makes a bright plate of scrambled eggs!

18Not happy at All  Empty Re: Not happy at All Sun May 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Lol. True enough. But hmm I try to hide that with ketchup.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum