Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Duckling --- Wheezing and having some trouble breathing

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Llee's Llamas

Llee's Llamas

Hi!

We have a Cayuga duckling coming on 2 weeks old. He is receiving duck starter and is with a chick of a similar age for company (he cried otherwise). On Saturday our power went out for 2 hours? ....so he had no heat lamp (he is in a warm house though)...but I'm thinking he got chilled, which brought on his condition.

He is making a slight wheezing sound when he breathes and lifts up his wings a little bit when he inhales. He seems to still be eating and drinking. We put him in the sink for a little bath and to maybe clear his sinuses if that was the issue....but nothing changed.

His brooder is clean and dry and was disinfected before he was put in it. He has pine shavings for bedding.

Any suggestions for what to do, or what he has???

Thanks
Lee

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wish I had information for you, I saw another post with kind of the same symptoms a while back, people were mentioning mold?
I have never had an issue with duckling so not sure. Sometimes they will eat too much and gag before they get a drink of water but never had them having respiratory issues.

You just have one, did it have trouble hatching? Sometimes it is a delayed sickness from something in the incubator?

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Llee's Llamas

Llee's Llamas

...the wheezy has changed to kind of a clicking? ...and he/she doesn't do it all the time. The duckling is still active, appears to be drinking and eating still. I did clean out the little brooder....I did find a little bit of mold underneath the waterer at the bottom. Little surprized because we keep on top of cleaning things.

Its eyes have never gotten crusty or snotty. I do have a probiotic I could put in the water. If Aspergilosis was the cause, would I have seen a sharp decline in its condition by now?

Llee's Llamas

Llee's Llamas

..yes just the one....the other 4 eggs developed to term...not sure why they wouldn't have hatched.....not sure how I would have gotten a disease in the incubator..although not impossible. The incubators get was with antibacterial soap and water, wiped with Lysol wipes, rinsed clean, and air dryed

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum