Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

grass fed hamburger

+11
coopslave
heda gobbler
ChickenTeam
bckev
bcboy
authenticfarm
Country Thyme Farm
Prairie Chick
pops coops
Hidden River
Rasilon
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1grass fed hamburger Empty grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh my ... I just had a burger made with fresh ground grass fed beef. A little garlic onions and BBq sauce. It was delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The meat itself was so soft compared to store bought. Never go back. A freind butchered an old cow and i bought 20 pounds of ground. Mmm Mmmm Good.
Geri

2grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 5:02 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have been doing grass finished for 4 years now and love it, my hubby was raised on grain finished beef and was hard to convince to switch, we had a steer break his leg and so we butchered him that day and no time to finish on grain, he was the best beef we had in ages. Now all our beef is grass finished, and people are pounding on our door to buy it. Smile

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Love it as well , but I recall reading somewhere that people said that grass feed beef tasted bad ? something about yellow fat or something .I had free range Prime Rib in Alberta a few years back .......best I ever had !

4grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 5:23 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have only bought grass fed for 20 years now, nothing better

http://www.popscoops.com

5grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Don't like grass finished beef at all No grain finished only for us

6grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

prairie dog wrote:Love it as well , but I recall reading somewhere that people said that grass feed beef tasted bad ? something about yellow fat or something .I had free range Prime Rib in Alberta a few years back .......best I ever had !

I believe it's just that many North Americans get upset when their taste buds are stimulated, and sometimes they seem scared of things that aren't white.

http://countrythyme.ca

7grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 6:28 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

We did grain-finished for years, but this last year, we kept our yearlings on a forage-only diet. We butchered a couple of calves earlier this year, and while the beef definitely tastes different, I prefer it! A stronger flavour for sure, but not unpleasant. Nice and lean, and ohhhhh those steaks are soooooo good!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

8grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 6:30 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

prairie dog wrote:Love it as well , but I recall reading somewhere that people said that grass feed beef tasted bad ? something about yellow fat or something .I had free range Prime Rib in Alberta a few years back .......best I ever had !

The fat on ours is nice and white - looks the same to me as it did on the grain-fed calf we butchered last time. The colour of the fat may have more to do with the quality of the animal, the breed, and the genetics. Our are angus cross and they are little beefmasters!

9grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 6:30 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Country Thyme Farm wrote:I believe it's just that many North Americans get upset when their taste buds are stimulated, and sometimes they seem scared of things that aren't white.

Have you tried corn-fed American beef? It's just gross.

10grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 6:38 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

It doesn't much matter to me either way, because ruminants are so perfectly designed to turn grass into protein it's astounding. I have enough knowledge of what grain does to a ruminants digestive system, and to the healthfulness of its muscle and fat, to steer well clear of that. It just so happens that it also results in a delectable taste experience to boot!

11grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 6:51 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

authenticfarm wrote:
Country Thyme Farm wrote:I believe it's just that many North Americans get upset when their taste buds are stimulated, and sometimes they seem scared of things that aren't white.

Have you tried corn-fed American beef? It's just gross.

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

12grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 7:18 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Grass fed has some health benefits, mainly omega 3

13grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 7:43 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

I never liked beef roasts until this past fall when a friend gave us a grass fed steer. I am so sad that there are only 4 roasts left in the freezer, and some t-bone steaks and stew meat (8 people go through meat fast), which is amazing considering how much I disliked roasts before. The ground was used up long ago. I really hope we can find some more again somewhere.

14grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

ChickenTeam wrote:I never liked beef roasts until this past fall when a friend gave us a grass fed steer. I am so sad that there are only 4 roasts left in the freezer, and some t-bone steaks and stew meat (8 people go through meat fast), which is amazing considering how much I disliked roasts before. The ground was used up long ago. I really hope we can find some more again somewhere.

I can't remember the name of their ranch, but Preston Mannings son and wife do grass finished beef and sell it at markets in Calgary...I think MSW meats, a longhorn rancher up near Ponoka is grass finished too just can't remember for sure

15grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 9:33 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's all I produce, see my website: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I sell to the lower Mainland and of course it is all we eat. Shocking to eat grocery store beef now.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

16grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 9:36 pm

Free range is about as good as it get s when it comes to any beef /meat .I can see putting a bit of grain through a beef a month or so prior to slaughter , but let it graze first .It's a consumer market and unfortunately there wouldn't be enough cattle to slaughter to meet the demands if they all would be grass feed ? ..........so if you got them , enjoy them Smile

17grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 10:08 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Prairie Chick wrote:Don't like grass finished beef at all No grain finished only for us

I am with you on this. I like mine grain finished too. I hate yellow fat, sure had enough of it in Australia. I don't like the texture or really the flavour of straight grass fed.

18grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Thu May 02, 2013 11:26 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The only way you will get yellow fat is if the animal was---Jersey/Gurnsey/ or Ayreshires ( sp) ?

Those breeds all have yellow fat. Still darn good beef though. Very Happy

19grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Fri May 03, 2013 12:26 am

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Yes, grass fed is much healthier, containing lots of Omega fatty acids, that most of us are defficient in because of our modern diet.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

20grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Fri May 03, 2013 5:51 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

lady leghorn wrote:The only way you will get yellow fat is if the animal was---Jersey/Gurnsey/ or Ayreshires ( sp) ?

Those breeds all have yellow fat. Still darn good beef though. Very Happy

Truly grass fed beef (no hay, silage, green feed, etc) will have yellow fat no matter what breed it is. All British, Europeon, Continental including any Bos Indicus (Brahman or Santa Gertrudis) in Australia that were truly finished on grass, purely the green stuff in the ground, had yellow fat. There were various degrees of yellow, depending on the season, but definately yellow compared to grain finished.
As soon as the forage is converted into dry matter you lose the yellow fat to a large extent, which makes sense to me because I believe it is the carotenoids that make the fat yellow. Remember here in Canada, because of our climate, a large portion of the year a beast is fed mainly dry matter of some sort.

21grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Fri May 03, 2013 5:52 am

Moose and I have somewhat jokingly stated that if the meat isn't grown here or on a small farm, we're vegetarians.

We had never tried home raised pork before, and then went over to a friend's house to spend the afternoon and have supper with them. She served us ham from a hog they had raised and butchered. It was raised on fermented chop, scraps, veggies, fruit, remains from butchering and so on. I have never tasted such amazingly delicious food. The ham steaks were massive and so beautifully flavored, the texture was just amazing. She sent us home with 6 or 7 ham steaks and 4lbs of bacon. We had the bacon for breakfast the next day and oh. em. gee. Unless the fat on commercial bacon is crispy, I can't eat it, the texture and taste drives me nuts. The fat on the bacon she gave us was my favorite part! So sweet and smooth, not gross at all.

Then while Moose was away, I got to hang out at Similarly Minded Family's (SMF's) house for supper one night. She's a nutritionist, and they are gaps diet, high fat, natural grass fed type people who do it oh so well with awesome tasting food. I got to try grass fed beef for the first time -- it was a steer they did in the winter prior, and the quality of the meat was delightful. It was smooth textured, nicely marbled, the fat was not yellow (which doesn't set me off kilter anyway), nicely textured and full in flavor. It didn't taste like 'beef', like a whole new meat instead. I like my food full and boldly flavored, I think that's why I have a tendancy to mix food together on my plate in order to ad depth to flavor.

In short, I really enjoy this grass fed/naturally fed stuff.

22grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Fri May 03, 2013 6:35 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Food for thought:

Grass Fed Beef

The definition of Grass fed beef generally means beef from cattle that have eaten only grass or forage throughout their lives, however some producers do call their beef grass fed but then actually finish the animals on grain for the last 90 to 160 days before slaughter.

Grass Finished Beef

A more specific definition is Grass Finished Beef. Finishing is just another word for the time that cattle are normally fattened for the last few months before processing. Typically, feed lots finish cattle for 90 to 160 days on grain, usually corn, whereas, grass finished cattle are fattened on grass only, until the day that they are processed.

Pastured Beef

Another important thing to remember, besides just the literal definition of grass fed beef, is that you want to obtain grass fed and finished beef that has been pastured all of its life and not kept in confinement. It’s possible that a producer could keep cattle in confinement and feed them grass hay and still be able to call them grass finished for now, since there is currently no standardized definition of grass fed or finished beef. So you always want to make sure that your grass fed beef has been pastured all of its life too.

Organic and Natural

Almost all commercial beef, as well as most organic and natural beef, are finished with grain. The only distinction with organic or natural is that the feed grain is certified organic or natural.

Don’t mistake organic beef for grass fed. While some grass fed is organic, not all organic beef or natural beef is grass fed or finished. Many of the organic and natural products are grain fed, in confined feedlots; it’s just that the grain that is fed is certified organic or natural.

23grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Fri May 03, 2013 6:38 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Totally with the grass fed. We shared a grass fed Angus with Farmchiq and bought a half steer. I cannot believe the lack of fat. When I cooked hamburger there is so little fat in the pan, just juices. to me that is wonderful and cannot believe how nice this meat is to the taste and texture too. Converted. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

24grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Fri May 03, 2013 7:29 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Your points are well made coopslave - the terminology isn't as simple as it seems. Most customers I talk too assume organic meat means there was no feed lot and no grain - not true. So ask the producer what there term means.

Although my steers get only pasture supplemented with hay in winter, the cows are trained to the bucket and most get almost 2 cups of grain a year (as a reward for standing nicely during vaccination, annual check up).

In climates where there is year 'round grazing cattle breeds kept are often heat tolerant ones. These have quite a different body type than the breeds of the northern hemisphere and often eat very different pasture than those in the northern hemisphere. That will give the beef a very different flavour and texture. Certainly the Brahma crosses we ate in Texas were a very different beef than anything we are used to here at any level.

Also animals that are moved great distances or are very stressed can produce a very tough beef. One of the reasons cattle started down the grain fed route was that the longhorns and crosses in the south west of the US were moved long distances to the rail head by cowboys, often at a run. By the time they reached the railway and were moved to Chicago there were skinny and very tough and stressed. In Chicago waiting for butchering the best way to get them tender and fattier was to feed them large amount of grain, corn in particular.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

25grass fed hamburger Empty Re: grass fed hamburger Mon May 06, 2013 1:55 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I found a local farm to get our beef from and wow it is fantastic. We have 6mnths of winter up here so grass fed all summer and then they do their own hay so hay fed in winter. They have a small farm so they process as the freezer empties and we're hooked and eat far more beef than we ever have before because it is just so tasty Smile Gotta love great local farmers Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum