Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

what to do with marathon running hens? LOL

+2
appway
triplejfarms
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

o.k so my standard cornish are having some problems... ( show lines) the fertility sucks but i witness why or partially why today, i separated the rooster from the 2 girls for a day , 1/2 i decided to put the girls in with him as he is in a small tractor, it will be his turf so he may be more excited to see them, we he did his little rooster jigg for them, tried to do the deed but the girls run away from him! like i mean scramble away from him in circles... so this is why i only sucessfully have 2 fertile eggs/ 2 chicks since january! what should i do? hog tie the girls so they cant run away or what? Shocked Razz any suggestions? he is not a mean rooster like i have seen he just is a massive boy, maybe the pullets are scared? LOL Suspect

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

You could Talk to Rico and he can tell you how to AI them
I know he does it with his cochin

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I haven't bred Cornish but have a couple of friends that do in Australia. Actually they call them Indian Game there. They are actually breeding a slightly longer leg in their breeding males. The longer legged males don't do well at shows, but they can tread the hens naturally and some of the stouter, shorter legged show birds have trouble. Maybe a slightly longer leg would me he could keep up too! Laughing
I personally always struggle with the concept of AI. We do it here with the cattle, but for genetic purposes, not confirmation, fertility or breeding issues. I like animals that can breed naturally, but that is just a personal thing.

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

i kinda have to agree with you coopslave, the thought of AAI isnt appealing to me, i know he "can"do it as i have 2 of his offspring its just it seems that thats all i have had luck getting all season so far, pale hopefully fertility will pick up its disheartening trying to build up a flock....and to only have 2 chicks to stay for it LOL

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you only just put them together, I'd say give the girls some time to get used to him. I think peaceful cohabitation happens THEN eggs get fertile. If they don't normally live together, he's a stranger, as far as they're concerned.

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

uno wrote:If you only just put them together, I'd say give the girls some time to get used to him. I think peaceful cohabitation happens THEN eggs get fertile. If they don't normally live together, he's a stranger, as far as they're concerned.

he is no stranger uno, they live together since last fall, I took him away for 2 days as fertility sucks, sometimes distance makes the heart grow fond. I observed them for awhile every time the male would try to do anything the girls would scram...

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

My LF Cornish are also infertile too, but for different reasons. Lazy boys. I am hoping now it is warmer I can get them outside and their libido will improve. I actually meant to have them out last night but ran out of time and energy. Tonight...

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've heard of a few ideas for improving fertility in the roosters, but nothing about encouraging the hens to stay still and crouch for him. some of the old time breeders have suggested feeding wheat germ oil as it is supposed to help with libido/fertility. It must be frustrating to have that wonderful breeding group and no fertile eggs to perpetuate them. Neutral

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum