Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coop floor plan - suggestions?

+7
Pollywog
Schipperkesue
bckev
coopslave
uno
KatuskiFarms
authenticfarm
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Coop floor plan - suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coop floor plan - suggestions? Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:49 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I would design some covered perches outside. my coop is 4 feet off the ground, with all feeders, waterers underneath, which increases their real estate on wet days. attached is a covered area about 4X8 with perches. They are constantly full of chickens, even in the winter, most of them sleep outside. They seem to prefer being out there if its warm enough for them.

27Coop floor plan - suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coop floor plan - suggestions? Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:31 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

You don't want windows on the north side, you want windows on the east and West sides to maximize light in winter. You're better off with better northern insulation since no light ever comes from that direction and most prevailing cold winds come from the north too.

I think you also need to plan for wall space for more nest boxes. Its a large coop, you'll probably end up with way too many birds for the 4 boxes it looks like you have planned. Just leave some wall space to build more. Personally I think roll-away are a waste of effort in trying to make work, but I know some people swear by them. I just put shavings in and always have nice clean eggs as long as I can keep the hens from roosting on the edges of the boxes.

Dirt floor is the best ever.

http://countrythyme.ca

28Coop floor plan - suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coop floor plan - suggestions? Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:45 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Looks great. You’re hired! tongue

I’d suggest painting the interior coop walls. It’ll make cleaning a breeze. And I concur with extending the roof and having a small covered area for wet/yucky weather days.

Man, I wish I had a dirt floor now...

29Coop floor plan - suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coop floor plan - suggestions? Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:47 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

farmchiq wrote:Could you make a roof/overhang out of windows or light fiberglass panels so light gets in?

Ten-plast would work good for this too. And save ya some moola. Maybe, lol.

30Coop floor plan - suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coop floor plan - suggestions? Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:06 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Country Thyme has a good suggestion for more nest boxes. I have a couple of those 4 hole roll aways and they are ok for smallish breeds. My Chanteclers will use them. But when my Orps and biggest cochin girls try to get in there to lay it doesn't work. The egg often lands outside of the box and rolls onto the floor. We've had to design our own extra-large next boxes to accommodate the really big gals.
One other potential problem is the wire bottom. I line those nest holes really well with straw to cover the wire mesh completely, which pretty much negates the whole idea of a roll-away nest. Rolling Eyes The hens like to scratch around to prepare their nest, and I've seen them catch and break a toenail in the mesh. Doesn't sound too dire until that open wound turns into a foot infection. I want to avoid that whenever possible!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

31Coop floor plan - suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coop floor plan - suggestions? Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:25 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Flicker Chick wrote:

I’d suggest painting the interior coop walls.

A mural would be pretty.....

32Coop floor plan - suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coop floor plan - suggestions? Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:54 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yep, I will paint the interior. I have a bunch of exterior latex paint leftover from the studio, so the inside will be a lovely butter yellow colour.

I agree that east/west windows sound like a good idea. Unfortunately, the other half of the coop is in the way of west facing windows, and light from the east would be blocked from the roof extension I now have planned (curse you all!). South facing windows are nice to add some warmth - we are far enough north that all of our winter light is coming from the south (blinds me all morning in my south-facing office). In my house, the room with the best light is the one with the north facing window. Most of the wind in this area is blowing to the south east (meaning if you face north west, you're getting it in the face. Forgive my explanation, I am no meteorologist.), so west-facing windows kind of suck. South is the way to go. I am adding the north ones for good cross-ventilation.

Re: nestboxes. The rollaway ones are free, so I will give them a shot. I can always whip up some new and larger ones if these don't work well. I may well add some once the boys go to freezer camp and I remove the temporary wall.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

33Coop floor plan - suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coop floor plan - suggestions? Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:55 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:

Are you volunteering? Laughing

34Coop floor plan - suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coop floor plan - suggestions? Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:02 am

authenticfarm wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:

Are you volunteering? Laughing

Oooo, can you just imagine one of SchipperkeSue's paintings in your coop? Or as a mural in one of your rooms? You'd never want to leave!

35Coop floor plan - suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coop floor plan - suggestions? Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:11 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oooo, can you just imagine one of SchipperkeSue's paintings in your coop? Or as a mural in one of your rooms? You'd never want to leave!

Do you think she'll accept pies as payment?

I feel like you guys are increasing the awesomeness of my coop exponentially.

Or you just like spending my money.

One of those things.

36Coop floor plan - suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coop floor plan - suggestions? Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:57 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

you are not planning on breaking the farmers code and actually spned money on your coop? A true farmer scrounges and reuses everything, which, I think explains why uncle wilbur won't die.

37Coop floor plan - suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coop floor plan - suggestions? Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:35 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I break farmer code all the time, then. lol

38Coop floor plan - suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coop floor plan - suggestions? Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:34 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think a mural on the outside would be far prettier, and the chickens couldn't kick poop on it.

Only Key Lime with meringue.

Authentic, be sure to follow the old adage from even older chicken keepers. A leaky coop is a healthy coop. Air leakage, that Is!

39Coop floor plan - suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Coop floor plan - suggestions? Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:58 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:I think a mural on the outside would be far prettier, and the chickens couldn't kick poop on it.

Only Key Lime with meringue.

Authentic, be sure to follow the old adage from even older chicken keepers. A leaky coop is a healthy coop. Air leakage, that Is!

How many key lime pies will Sue eat before the mural is finished? Lol I really need to practice making those. Pies, not murals. My creative painting skills are non-existent.

I shall try to resist the urge to block up all the holes. Even if it goes against my beaverish tendencies. Ah! Hole! Must plug it!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum