Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sick Turkey

+2
Prairie Chick
lazyfarmer
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sick Turkey Empty Sick Turkey Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:32 pm

lazyfarmer

Last edited by lazyfarmer on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

2Sick Turkey Empty Re: Sick Turkey Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:22 pm

I have no idea. However, since you say what you've tried hasn't helped, I'll tell you what I'd do.

Aloe Vera juice in the water, 1 tbsp per gallon every other day for 7 days. Yogurt mixed into their feed and/or kombuca scobies and/or kefir added to their feed every day for 7 days and oregano oil, 3 or 4 drops per large container every day for 14 days. See what happens.

Why those items? Aloe Vera Juice flushes the intestinal track, yogurt/scoby/kefir builds positive gut flora (good gut flora = major assistant for immune system) and oregano oil is a powerful anti-biotic and pain killer. If you have Wormwood (russian herb, absinth) in the area, you could also give them that as a fresh plant supplement with the AVJ as they do similar things.

This is my general treatment for EVERYTHING when it comes to all my birds, the only thing it hasn't staved off is Marek's, however it does help with birds that are have a limp or slight mobility problem during flare ups.

Good luck, keep us informed!

3Sick Turkey Empty Re: Sick Turkey Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

You need tylan, it sounds like sinusitis. Tylan should clear it up in no time, if it isn't too far advanced. You can order some from Jeffers in the states.

Last edited by Prairie Chick on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

4Sick Turkey Empty Re: Sick Turkey Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Have you tried Tylan?

This is precisely the reason why I buy turkey eggs in the spring and put turkeys in the freezer in the fall.

5Sick Turkey Empty Re: Sick Turkey Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:33 pm

progers

I was told to try Denagard and it has helped me with this prob. U mix 2ccper liter of water for 2days.

6Sick Turkey Empty Re: Sick Turkey Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Sounds kind of like what killed off all my turkeys last year as well ? Doing just fine and then they started getting sick and just dieing off ? I thought I had Blackhead ? but I never figured it out ? Hope it doesn't happen this year with my last chance Porters order

7Sick Turkey Empty Re: Sick Turkey Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:55 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

This may sound totally silly but check that their nostrils have not plugged off with mud/straw ect. I had 2 have this happen for the first time, one died before I figured it out, the other, I was able to save!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

8Sick Turkey Empty Re: Sick Turkey Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:42 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Get them tested so you know what your dealing with as well as a culture. You might need to treat each bird separately so you know they are getting the right dosage and just not hoping they drink the right amount.

Apparently denegard and tetracycline will cure all ( that combo specifically). Also baytril is a personal fav.,

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum