Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

government tracking feed purchases

+5
authenticfarm
appway
smokyriver
Schipperkesue
bckev
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1government tracking feed purchases Empty government tracking feed purchases Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:06 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Stopped to buy some feed on my way home from work, went to a different supplier than usual for convenience. They wanted me to fill out a contact form so the government could contact me if there was a feed recall. Has anyone else had to do this? In my opinion this is just another example of wasted time and money on the behalf of taxpayers. It drives me crazy.

2government tracking feed purchases Empty Re: government tracking feed purchases Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:15 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Some feed stores do it, some will not. Recall is what they say, but if it is not a consistant policy I have my doubts anyone knows why it is done.

3government tracking feed purchases Empty Re: government tracking feed purchases Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:23 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Two if the three stores I have bought feed from require it!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

4government tracking feed purchases Empty Re: government tracking feed purchases Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:25 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

They have been doing that here in SK for awhile now

5government tracking feed purchases Empty Re: government tracking feed purchases Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:32 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am not a conspiracy theory kind of guy, but I think this is a weak excuse. I suspect it is a way to track who has what.

6government tracking feed purchases Empty Re: government tracking feed purchases Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:41 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is nothing new - I worked at a feed store way back in 2000 and they were putting this in place back then.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

7government tracking feed purchases Empty Re: government tracking feed purchases Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:04 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:This is nothing new - I worked at a feed store way back in 2000 and they were putting this in place back then.

Yes, about that long ago I was buying from Spruce Grove feeds and they required the information. No one in Drayton Valley asks for it though.

8government tracking feed purchases Empty Re: government tracking feed purchases Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:36 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I expect that anywhere I have an account could do it whether I wanted it or not.

But maybe if there is a melamine issue? Mixed feelings here.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

9government tracking feed purchases Empty Re: government tracking feed purchases Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:54 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am getting more concerned about motivaton for anything farm related.
they recall food products all of the time without having pruchaser information, why do the y need it for farm feed?

10government tracking feed purchases Empty Re: government tracking feed purchases Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:58 am

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

If your phone number is in their computer system, they are tracking it and have been for 12 years or more at least in Saskatchewan and yes they say it is incase of a recall because of bad food. They keep a record of the bag and lot number.

Last edited by pops coops on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.popscoops.com

11government tracking feed purchases Empty Re: government tracking feed purchases Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:59 am

It's no different then bar codes to keep track of batch's etc .Been around for a long time ,a security system to weed out those who would want to profit off of something that they were never involved with or a protection system in case there is a issue with a certain batch of feed and a recall needs to be made ,or in a worse case ....a lawsuit needs to be settled due to this

12government tracking feed purchases Empty Re: government tracking feed purchases Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:50 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

bckev wrote:I am getting more concerned about motivaton for anything farm related.
they recall food products all of the time without having pruchaser information, why do the y need it for farm feed?

Then you'd really love the semi-annual farm census thingy we have to fill out. They want to crawl right up your butt and ask every detail about your animals and crops. Calf crop? How many did you keep back? Acquisitions? Mortality? How many acres are you planting to each crop? What is in the bin? How much hay do you have in stock? Straw? And we get annual phone calls asking us our plans for our crop land. What are we going to plant? How much and where?

It's just part and parcel of running a real farm. Hobby farmers probably get harassed less.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

13government tracking feed purchases Empty Re: government tracking feed purchases Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:26 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

BC farmers are getting audited all the time now as well. It is a real pain in the butt. To work as hard as we do for as little return we get. I have issues with the term hobby farm. I never hear of any other small business called a hobby business. For me it is a way to minimize farmers and their importance. The reality in canada is 90 percent of farmers have to work off farm to subsidize their farming interests. I work way too hard to call what I do strictly a hobby, I am trying to make it a viable operation that gives me some return on my investment. I know all small businesses complain about the amount of interfence and the costs involved in meeting stupid regulations. So I guess I should get ready to sign for my all groceries soon. My rant for the day.

14government tracking feed purchases Empty Re: government tracking feed purchases Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:35 pm

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

If you are concerned about giving out your personal info, you can always use Fred Flintstone as your name and (555) 555-5555 as your recordable contact number. I'm sure the feed store will still take your money! Twisted Evil

Last edited by Dark Wing Duck on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total

15government tracking feed purchases Empty Re: government tracking feed purchases Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:36 pm

tung koon paak

tung koon paak

monsanto needs a heads up on where there genetic copyrighted material is headed lol!
it started here with the bse outbreaks on feed and lately with medications and vitamins they always write the lot numbers on the bill

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum