Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

which breed is the smartest chicken

+5
auntieevil
rosewood
Schipperkesue
coopslave
bckev
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1which breed is the smartest chicken Empty which breed is the smartest chicken Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:54 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I would say of all my chickens the dark cornish are the smartest, the hens not the roosters.

2which breed is the smartest chicken Empty Re: which breed is the smartest chicken Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:20 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I find the PChants pretty smart. Real thinkers. Sometimes I see them looking at something and they look out of one eye and then the other like they are assessing the situation. Laughing Maybe I think they are smart cause I like them! Rolling Eyes

Now the Ams I find a bit reactionary and a bit stupid. Don't think just SQUACK! Doesn't mean I still don't like them though....

3which breed is the smartest chicken Empty Re: which breed is the smartest chicken Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:28 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cornish hens...agreed! When I move my heated water bowls they all gather round so they can be the first to rip apart the baby mice beneath.

4which breed is the smartest chicken Empty Re: which breed is the smartest chicken Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:38 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

mine are escape artists. But when they see me grab the net they head straight into the house to go to bed.

5which breed is the smartest chicken Empty Re: which breed is the smartest chicken Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:55 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't really agree about the Dark Cornish as I find them a bit flighty. They do the "sky is following routine" when the shavings bag is brought into the coop or fly off the handle when a roughneck full of ashes is brought to them for a dust bath. I'm not going to pick a smartest breed but the Cornish Giants are the dumbest.

6which breed is the smartest chicken Empty Re: which breed is the smartest chicken Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:08 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

agree about the dumbest, giants are like turkeys, all breast no brain

7which breed is the smartest chicken Empty Re: which breed is the smartest chicken Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:20 pm

The one that stays away when it comes to the chopping block ?

8which breed is the smartest chicken Empty Re: which breed is the smartest chicken Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:48 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

prairie dog wrote:The one that stays away when it comes to the chopping block ?
That's what I was thinking.
Even some of my Meat Kings are good at avoiding the block. It is embarrassing being outsmarted by a chicken!

9which breed is the smartest chicken Empty Re: which breed is the smartest chicken Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:34 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Depends on what is smart Cool . I know darn well that chickens have a great memory. I had four buff orpington pullets that had been grown out with the buckeyes last summer. They wanted eventually to be in with the birds of the same colour, so they went into the buff orpington pen. That was their destiny anyways. When the snow melted and they could go out free ranging on brown earth again. They tried their ding dangest to get back into that coop at the end that the little chicks were living in now. That was about 3 months they had been away. Doesn't sound that long, but they totally remembered where they used to live. And a barred rock hen, which I gave to a friend, remembered that she liked to jump on my lap Wink . Now that was smart. Have wonderful days, CynthiaM.

10which breed is the smartest chicken Empty Re: which breed is the smartest chicken Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:55 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Some chickens do have a great memory. I move my birds from their to spring/summer/fall house to their winter house and back every year. those that have done it once seem to remember the routine and don't get to worked up about being caught and moved and automatically go check out their favourite little spots. The first timers stay freaked out for a while. Those that have done it a couple time sit and coffee and a smoke a laugh at the newbies. ( I do not encourage smoking,but I think the dog is smuggling them in for some nefariouos reason.)

11which breed is the smartest chicken Empty Re: which breed is the smartest chicken Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:35 am

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

my hatchery cornish are idiots, i even blink and they fly through the roof... Shocked my other cornish are good tho my rooster is so laid back, calm, i don think they are to dumb. the ameracaunas are flighty as well , my marans are not tho... i dont think any of my birds are brain surgeons tho but if i have to pick the smartest the marans are... LMAO

Last edited by triplejfarms on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

12which breed is the smartest chicken Empty Re: which breed is the smartest chicken Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:37 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

When I had them years ago, the Naked Necks were noticeably smarter than the rest. They were always the first ones to figure something out or find a new food source and then the rest would follow along.

13which breed is the smartest chicken Empty Re: which breed is the smartest chicken Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:52 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

triplejfarms wrote:my hatchery cornish are idiots, i even blink and they fly through the roof... Shocked my other cornish are good tho my rooster is so laid back, calm, i don think they are to dumb. the ameracaunas are flighty as well , my marans are not tho... i dont think any of my birds are brain surgeons tho but if i have to pick the smartest the marans are... LMAO

Aha! I think it is the hatchery LF cornish that are dumb. I have breeder quality LF and bantams and both are smart birds.

14which breed is the smartest chicken Empty Re: which breed is the smartest chicken Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have buff orpingtons and buff brahmas with a mash of barnyard mix banty's. Everybody knows that when I come out at dinner time its bedtime. Its never a struggle putting my girls away.

I have 1 BO hen thats always at my side watching everything and is the 1st to come running to see me. I think thats my pick. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum