Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ah, my happiness of Buckeye breed chicken

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Buckeye, hee, hee, gotta laugh!

Never stop getting such a giggle out of the breed. The roosters are just something else. I’ll set the scenario. I have been spending lots of time outside, pumping water from the snow melt from here to there, yep, lots of snow melting in the wrong places, smiling that big smile. The buckeyes are the ones that really get to spend a whole lotta time free ranging. The cochins like to go out for a little while and then get too lazy and wanna go back in their yard, so they do. The buff orpingtons like to go out, but would only like to spend a little time out free ranging, so they get their wish. The buckeyes, they could free range for days, well, a slight embellishment. They like to go back in and lay eggs, get some layer feed and then go back out again, and of course, go in at night, but they really like to get out and have fun.

Right, where was I? Oh yes, spending a whole lotta time outside these days, feels so good, that sun on my face, seeing the snow disappear, which is almost all gone. I watch the birds, lots and lots. Two roosters easily share 8 hens, they are happy and don’t bother each other. One rooster particularly likes the barred rock hens and hangs out more with them than the buckeyes, but does take many visits to see the buckeye gals too, smiling.

So yes, rooster decides that he sees something way across the other side of the riding arena. Daughter has horses and a huge arena. I wonder what he is after, he is on a tear. Making his sounds that indicate he is very interested in something unusual. I look over. Poor Roscoe. It is the cat. I am watching intently, wondering what this dude is going to do. All the way across the arena, gumbooting it pretty fast. He is alone, he is on a mission. I see Roscoe just meandering along the fenceline, mind his own business, probably looking deeply down on the earth for a mouse. Lots of field mice here with barley on one side and alfalfa on the other, big fields, probably 30 acres each, we are a 3 acre parcel in the middle of the two. Rats, ramblin’...OK. So Roscoe yes, he is a big dude, a big fat farm cat that loves to put his head into the beet pulp when it is soaking and loves to go in the chicken coops and eat the layer pellets, no wonder he is so fat. He is travelling along the fence line, the buckeye heading off to see what this big, fat thing is. Discovers that it is only the cat. Turns around and heads back, but not before Roscoe sees him, freaks out and jumps high onto the fence post. He is safe. Roscoe stays on the fencepost until he is sure the rooster is long gone. That is the curious nature of the buckeye. So curious that he had to leave all the girls and head off so far, to see what on earth was walking along in his territory. The great outdoors, that is his entire territory. Love to move around. They even follow me all the way home to see where I am going. That is about a 2 minute walk from the coops, buckeyes – curiosity reigns, and did I ever mention, I love the buckeye breed. Thank you Chantecler_eh?, for that day that you brought those 10 hatching eggs on your lap in your Mamma’s vehicle,all the way from southwestern Saskatchewan to the Armstrong pigeon and poultry show, way back in September of 2010, my hat off to you, young lad!! Have a most beautiful and awesome day, CynthiaM.

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Luv this story. I have never laid eyes on the breed in person, sound fun., do you loose any to predation; hawks, coyotes etc?

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ha ha. I agree, they do have such a curious nature and surprise me by how far they will range even as young ones, kind of worries me sometimes as they don't seem to have as much instinct to stay close to the chicken house. And they will go out in any weather to get their treats!

Chickens are supposed to range in an even radius around their house, with their house being the centre. I think our Buckeyes do go the furthest...

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum