Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

for Uno and anyone else interested

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1for Uno and anyone else interested Empty for Uno and anyone else interested Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:16 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2for Uno and anyone else interested Empty Re: for Uno and anyone else interested Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:02 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

After I got to this line I did not read any further:

Bring the humidity level in the room up to between 50%‐75%
preferably 50%.

He is not doing a dry hatch! His humidity is even higher than in my incubators. The only difference is he is humidifying the whole room and not just the incubator. The humidity in the room will be the humidity in the incubator unless you add water to your incubator.

My house is around 15- 25% humidity. Dry, dry, dry. I add water to the incubator to bring it up to 45% to hatch. My hatches are drier than his are!

3for Uno and anyone else interested Empty Re: for Uno and anyone else interested Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:16 am

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Good point Sue, I think that even though he is not doing a dry hatch per say, he is saying that many people who have poor hatches do so because of drowning their chicks.

4for Uno and anyone else interested Empty Re: for Uno and anyone else interested Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:07 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

This method appears to be dry hatching but as has been pointed out, a room with ambient humidity of 50% is hardly dry! Also, I don't think I want any room in my house having a constant 50% moisture level, maybe the bathroom just after a shower, but that's it!

No, this guy is playing it down the middle, no humidity in the bator, but humidity in the room. He cannot call himself a dedicated dry hatcher if that is the case.

But the discussion of dry or wet hatching almost cannot exist outside the larger picture of ALL THE FACTORS that affect hatching. Like the author mentions, egg quality, health of birds, storing methods, different temps for forced or still air. Hatching is like baking a cake, LOTS of ingredients involved.

Thank you Coopslave, interesting read.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum