Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

a disappointment, an unusual accident

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1a disappointment, an unusual accident Empty a disappointment, an unusual accident Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:12 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

A pair of my white homers nested . I had the hatch date down as today. Was very excited. Yesterday I went in and found one of the 2 eggs on the floor. The other egg shell was stuck to the males chest, the chick dead on the floor. How disappointing. I put the good egg back in the nest but this morning when I came home from work it was back on the floor ice cold. The chick was dead. Not a very successful first clutch for me or the birds.
Anybody have pigeons out there? Anybody else have any weird experiences with pigeons? Does anyone know how soon they will nest again? No links I am asking for personal experience from list members. Thanks Geri

2a disappointment, an unusual accident Empty Re: a disappointment, an unusual accident Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:45 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi Geri
My husband has pigeons and not to worry they will often have these mishaps. Is the nest well lined, I give his dishes, with a coconut pad inside and go a get pine needles for them to line the nest with. She will lay again and will likely be more successful esp if this is their first time having young.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

3a disappointment, an unusual accident Empty Re: a disappointment, an unusual accident Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

viczoe wrote:Hi Geri
My husband has pigeons and not to worry they will often have these mishaps. Is the nest well lined, I give his dishes, with a coconut pad inside and go a get pine needles for them to line the nest with. She will lay again and will likely be more successful esp if this is their first time having young.

Heather
Hi Heather thank you for the reply. This is their first clutch togetherand my very first. Yes I guess they could use more lining in the nest. I have saved grass clippings nicely dried so maybe I will put a pile in with them. How big are the dishes you use? Thanks

Geri

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I use 2 types one is actually a hard plastic type of dog dish about the size of most metal water dishes and the others are disposable cardboard ones made specially for pigeons, avilable from any place with pigeon supplies, I like these ones for the floor nesters as you always get a pair or two who don't want to use the very nice nest boxes that hubby made.

Heather

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks Heather, I find dog dishes come in handy for alot of things. I use metal ones during the winter to I can bang out the ice. I will get them some plastic dishes and set up for the next eggs. What kind of pigeons does your hubby raise? Geri

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Pygmy Pouters and another type of pouter(the name escapes me for the moment)
The Pygmy Pouters make a nice complment to our Modern Game Bantams and Ko-Shamo

Heather

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum