Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Not chicken related Dog info

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Not chicken related Dog info Empty Not chicken related Dog info Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:21 am

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

After the loss of Nala our son
is thinking about a Bull Mastiff.
Does anyone know more about this breed?
Nala was bull mastiff x pitt bull and
was very smart but stuborn.

2Not chicken related Dog info Empty Re: Not chicken related Dog info Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:54 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

We had a 'bear' dog, Otis, who was a Bull Mastiff X Akita. He was large, not one of those 'in your face' dogs, had zero guarding skills when it came to home safety, but was death to bears!

HE had a head like a cinder block and a set of jaws that could crush a steel toed boot, but did people worry that they might be bitten? No! People were freaked out that he'd come wandering over and get a long, stringy, wet drooler on them. That dog always had slime danglers waving off his lips. HE'd shake his head and they'd fly off and hit the wall, the floor, standers by. You learn that when you find one splatted on the wall, DO NOT ATTEMP TO REMOVE IT until it has dried. Much easier to flake them off with your nail than smear the slime around with a wet paper towel.

Other than the constant slober, I would have a Bullmastiff in a heart beat. They have a lovely temperament, (allowing for good genetics and good raising. Any dog can go bad in the hands of a moron) THey look imposing, but mostly people fear the drool. I think they are a great dog. Akitas...not so much. (sorry Akita owners, they are just not the dog for me)

3Not chicken related Dog info Empty Re: Not chicken related Dog info Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:27 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks Uno
We are used to slobber as we have
bloodhounds. Learned to always carry
a towel when visiters come.
We used to get a real laugh when
we had our first male bloodhound.
People would come up and want to
give him a big hug and then all of
a sudden you would hear oh no god
yuk etc etc etc.

4Not chicken related Dog info Empty Re: Not chicken related Dog info Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:10 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ha ha! I know what you mean! Our dog was not one of those happy, bouncy, tail wagging types. Instead he was reserved and low key. Dogs like that make me nervous. Considering his size you'd think more people would worry that he was quietly aggressive. But no, it was the slime that they were worried about. Never once did anyone ask, will he bite? Nope. But many, many people did leap away and shriek, ACK! IS HE GOING TO GET THAT SLOBER ON ME? I used to love it when he shook his head and it wrapped around his snout. Ugh.

5Not chicken related Dog info Empty Re: Not chicken related Dog info Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:22 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

They are a great breed and you know they slobber
They are very protective and require a strong hand.
They have been known to Bloat but just watch that they dont bolt their food and water
Hip Problems are known in the breed
There are some great Breeders in Alberta and in BC
You can Check on Canuck dogs for a breeder if you want I can send link to you

6Not chicken related Dog info Empty Re: Not chicken related Dog info Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:46 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We loooooove them! That will be our next dog, with any kind of luck. The major crappy part is that well bred ones are expensive. And, cheaper, less "fancy" ones (sold unregistered, not vet tested parents, etc) are a huge gamble in terms of hereditary diseases. The main problem with this is that they are so big and heavy that vet treatment (meds, surgeries) is super expensive!

That being said, we have a 9 month old french mastiff x doberman that we paid $300 for. She had not shots, nothing, but is the perfect farm dog for my parents. With only putting out $300 initially we know full and well that there may be issues later, but are willing to deal with it as it/if it comes.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum