Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Plucker

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 New Plucker Empty New Plucker Sat May 21, 2011 8:10 am

DLC

So I bought one of those new pluckers that can pluck 5 chickens at a time,and I'm going to give it a whirl this weekend. The only real flaw in my plan is I'm not set up to dunk 5 at a time. I really bought it to do Turkeys as my other plucker couldent handle birds that size. I have 107 C.C. to butcher this weekend and if I had a dime for everytime someone asked to buy the bagged ready for the freezer birds I could retire. If I had $1.000.000 for everyone who wants to help butcher I still couldent retire. I'm sure its the same everywhere. So while everyone else is heading to the lake I'm butchering,what was I thinking! Have a great long weekend.DLC

2 New Plucker Empty Re: New Plucker Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Your new 5 in 1 plucker sounds handy. It's too bad I wasn't alittle closer, I could come lend a hand. I'd love to find someone willing to show me the ins and outs of butchering.

PS, I'd work for coffee and good poultry conversation. Razz

3 New Plucker Empty Re: New Plucker Mon May 23, 2011 11:57 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Can you give me some info on your plucker. Is it a tub style? Where didyoy buy it? How much? This is something I would be interested in buying.

Thanks
Ps.. If I was closer I would lend a helping hand as well, I enjoy butchering Very Happy

4 New Plucker Empty Re: New Plucker Mon May 23, 2011 9:11 pm

DLC

Featherman pro plucker I bought from Berry Hill in Ontario. I dont think you can buy from the companies in the U.S. such as Cutlers Pheasants supplies in Michicgan. They are way cheaper but they are drop shipped from the factory and I dont think the factory will ship outside the U.S. The factory prices also seem to be higher then the poultry supply companys in the states. Go figure. They work very well as long as the scald is good.

5 New Plucker Empty Re: New Plucker Mon May 23, 2011 10:31 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

DLC when we do our birds we scald 2 at a time (one for each of us) we do two batches then turn on the plucker, sometimes even three batches. Once scalded they seem to do ok "waiting" for the other birds to be scalded. Works well.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

6 New Plucker Empty Re: New Plucker Tue May 24, 2011 6:59 am

DLC

I ended up scalding 2 at a time in a boiler with a pail heater which kept the water around 150 degrees. You would need a lot smaller chickens then I have to pluck 5 at a time anyway so that worked good. The best invention since the eze wrap 1000 dispenser.

7 New Plucker Empty Re: New Plucker Tue May 24, 2011 8:54 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was talking with a fellow who bought some Muscovies from me. He said about 10 yrs ago he processes birds for other ppl, $5 a bird. I was thinking that's a lot of work for $5, than he said they processed at least 10,000 a year. Shocked adding that up, I could use $50,000!

8 New Plucker Empty Re: New Plucker Tue May 24, 2011 9:39 am

DLC

That was my problem with Turkeys, I had to take them to a colony about 50 miles away and pay $11.00 a bird to process.Then we still had to bag them when you got home. There used to be a fellow at Findlater who did birds he was set right up but he didnt last either, probably hard to find labour in a small town.

9 New Plucker Empty Re: New Plucker Tue May 24, 2011 12:23 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh my gosh $11 a turkey Shocked

This guy and his wife did it themselves but he hurt his shoulder and had to quit.

If a person processed for friends that would help pay for the plucker Very Happy

10 New Plucker Empty Re: New Plucker Tue May 24, 2011 1:58 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

DLC to you have any pictures you could share with us?

11 New Plucker Empty Re: New Plucker Tue May 24, 2011 6:57 pm

DLC

Sorry no pictures my camera is doa.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum