Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My New tub style chicken plucker

+4
Critter Haven Farm
bcboy
chickadee
lazyfarmer
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My New tub style chicken plucker Empty My New tub style chicken plucker Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:36 am

lazyfarmer

As I just posted, I butchered and one good thing came out of it. I had a drum chicken plucker before but sold it, it was a vast improvement over hand plucking. I built a new tub style plucker out of junk in the back forty, just ordered new fingers. Man did it work good, less then 20 seconds a bird, a few bird came out with absolutly no feathers, most had less then 5 feathers left to pluck off, tail or wing feathers. The other part is because you spray water as they are plucked the scalded layer of skin is removed and the chickens are gently scrubed clean. I had no broken bone or broken skin,(haha) the chicken were good too, they all came out perfect. Very impressed, as I built it for less then ***$, can not tell you as I may sell this one and build another. I did changes from the one I saw and I think that is why it worked so good. Mine is all alumimum. The feathers all come out in a neat little pile under the machine. It is so easy I would use it even if I was only doing 1 or 2 chickens. The chickens do not get beat up, or bruised as there is no blood left in them to cause bruising. Google (Whiz bang chicken pluckers) they are as good as they claim. They also sell all the parts, I got my fingers from them, not the cheap China ones off ebay. I paterned mine after theirs but made a few changes.

2My New tub style chicken plucker Empty Re: My New tub style chicken plucker Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:50 pm

chickadee

chickadee

I would be interested in buying one! I researched the Whizbang and it looks awesome.

3My New tub style chicken plucker Empty Re: My New tub style chicken plucker Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:59 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Can you post some picture of your plucker please? Thanks for your time and congratulation on your new plucker.
Kimball

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

4My New tub style chicken plucker Empty Re: My New tub style chicken plucker Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:00 pm

Critter Haven Farm

Critter Haven Farm

I agree.... pictures would be great!

5My New tub style chicken plucker Empty Re: My New tub style chicken plucker Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:02 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, well, well, now doesn't that just sound cool. Too bad this is too late for Farmchiq to build one. She has had two sets of muscovy duck processing dates and the results were not happy results. One at a government inspected abbatoir that basically gave up and another at someone's home that said they would process them for her, in payment, keeping back some of the ducks. I don't think she will raise Muscovys for meat anymore, Sad Now if she had a plucker....I could help her. Sigh. This is wonderful that you were able to make one yourself. And yes, as you hone the workmanship, you keep us in mind. Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

6My New tub style chicken plucker Empty Re: My New tub style chicken plucker Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:21 pm

lazyfarmer

I have three pictures of my plucker I can email to anyone who can post them here. I not good at dem there tings.

7My New tub style chicken plucker Empty Re: My New tub style chicken plucker Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:39 pm

foal0069

LF send them my way and I can post them for you.
<foal0069@yahoo.ca>

8My New tub style chicken plucker Empty Re: My New tub style chicken plucker Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:16 am

foal0069

Okay let's see if it allows me to post the photos of LF
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

9My New tub style chicken plucker Empty Re: My New tub style chicken plucker Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:29 am

foal0069

Okay let's see if it allows me to post the photos of LF. Sorry about the size of the pics I did try to make them smaller just wouldn't let me. Nice plucker LazyFarmer. Was wondering if I used a stainless steel tub?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

10My New tub style chicken plucker Empty Re: My New tub style chicken plucker Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:38 pm

lazyfarmer

That is the beauty of this you can build it out of whatever you have. Stainless would be very nice just hard to drill all those holes. I made mine a little bigger for large turkeys.

11My New tub style chicken plucker Empty Re: My New tub style chicken plucker Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:46 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks for posting the pictures.
How many horse power motor are you using?
What is your tub made out of?
Thanks again!!!
Kimball

12My New tub style chicken plucker Empty Re: My New tub style chicken plucker Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Kimball's got a Christmas project!

13My New tub style chicken plucker Empty Re: My New tub style chicken plucker Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thats awesome!

All aluminium probably makes it quite light to move around too?

14My New tub style chicken plucker Empty Re: My New tub style chicken plucker Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:36 am

lazyfarmer

The tub is a old truck fuel tank. They come in different sizes, mine is 25 inches round and 1/8 inch aluminium. The one tank could make two tubs, i just sawed it with a circular saw. Perfect for the job. They are easy to come by at any scrap yard or trucking company. The spinning plate is also 1/8 aluminium. This makes them very easy to drill and the fingers fit perfectly. Yes it is very lite and i use a 3/4 horse motor. The motor weight is almost more then the rest of the unit. The only thing I had to buy was the fingers. The rest was already laying around in the not so neat scrap pile saved just for occasions as this. You will notice I only cut 1/4 out of the bottom so all the feathers come out in one place. I also use the bottom of the tub as one of the bearing mounts, making it really stable and easy. I just watched the Whiz bang vidio and made it from that.

15My New tub style chicken plucker Empty Re: My New tub style chicken plucker Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:35 am

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks for answering my questions.
I saw a video on youtube of a old washing machine and have one in the junk pile.
It has a motor and plastic drum.

Code:
youtu.be/tC051HphyvY

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum