Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ereader for Sweetened

+2
Pollywog
uno
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1ereader for Sweetened Empty ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:00 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

THis past November, for my birthday, Hubby got me an ereader. I will never love it as much as I love a book, but I am getting more familar with it.

What I have not yet mastered is the skill of buying good books instead of stinkers.

To reduce the cost of my poor book selection, I hunt around the 99 cent section of the reader store. I came across one that I am enjoying immensely and it made me think of Sweetened, pioneer girl, harvesting her birds, cirlce of life and all that yaddah yaddah.

It's called, Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt Stewart. LEtters published as written beginning 1909.

The life those women lived! If any of you like true life historical reading, this is quite interesting, slice of life from a time before electricity, telephones, microwaves or paved roads.

Another short story that I found amusing in a quirky way that appeals to me is, Zippity Zern's Uncommon Nonsense Farmer's Almanac by Linda Zern. This was a familair chuckle from a woman who writes about the stupid events that occur daily on her small slice of the world. My kind of stuff!

If you have an ereader, how do you judge what to download? Unlike the library, you can't open the book and thumb through a few pages. I have loaded a lot of junk! A few gems, but mostly junk.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2ereader for Sweetened Empty Re: ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:32 am

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I'm on GoodReads so you can get a preview of books that you are interested in. It also offers recommendations based on your Read lists. You can also buy your downloads from Kobobooks and you can get a preview of the book.

3ereader for Sweetened Empty Re: ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:35 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ooooh, gotta check it out. Uno if you want a whack of books to read, youngest Daughter has a million of 'em. She reads and reads and reads. No clue how she can work full time, full time as Mother and Wife, and still read, ride and keep house. She has so many books, if you ever get sick of your e-reader, let me know. I will take you for a walk through her book selection and you could read and read and read, just like her, smiling that big smile. Ya, want books, she got 'em. Have a most awesomely wonderful day, CynthiaM.

4ereader for Sweetened Empty Re: ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:42 am

uno wrote: came across one that I am enjoying immensely and it made me think of Sweetened, pioneer girl, harvesting her birds, cirlce of life and all that yaddah yaddah.

It's called, Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt Stewart. LEtters published as written beginning 1909.

The life those women lived! If any of you like true life historical reading, this is quite interesting, slice of life from a time before electricity, telephones, microwaves or paved roads.

Awwwwww UNO!!! That I even pop into your head when thinking of such things sends me alight with happiness. I like being thought of that way.

Look up Joybilee Farms (I'm at work, stealing time as is Wink ), she does a free homesteading-related book selection every day from amazon. You can get conversion software in order to be able to use it on other e-readers, I think, if you don't have a kindle.

Worth it, and awesome.

5ereader for Sweetened Empty Re: ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:55 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh Uno I started reading her blog and haven't stopped laughing.This exerpt is from the Putting the F in family...

"After one particularly rowdy family event my husband shook his head and said, “There was public urination, wrestling while nude, and sword fighting. It’s like being at a medieval bar.”

I think I will be reading this one for sure.

Thank You

6ereader for Sweetened Empty Re: ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:29 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, I don't have an ereader, but have thought of it. I do read alot.

Do you buy dollar books from the bookstore? I just don't go there but I know some do. My reading time is precious cause I don't get much of it, so I like a good read (what I think is a good read anyways Rolling Eyes ) and I am willing to pay for it. I wait til the 'good' titles go on sale and then I buy them, but I just don't often like the really cheap stuff. Just me though.

7ereader for Sweetened Empty Re: ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:58 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Coop, I am finding it hard to know what kind of story I'm loading. Becuase I shop in the cheapy 99 cent section, they often don't provide any sample pages to read, just give a brief description. For me, dowloading books is like throwing dice at the craps table...it's a gamble. BUt I feel its only a 99 cent gamble, so I'll take it.

THe more expensive books often have longer samples to read, but they're not cheap! MAybe I'm cheap! I refuse to pay $15 to download a book I might hate. I often bring home 8 library books, start reading them all and abandon 6 of them as pointless tripe. I will NOT read a book that does not catch my attention very quickly. Life is too short to slog through crappy books.

What bothers me about the ereader is that I can't share a story with anyone. There it is, captured in my ereader. I can't let my mom read the story unless I give her my ereader. I suppose I could load a reading program into her computer and transfer the stories onto a stick. BUt then she'd have to sit at her computer to read and frankly, reading is close to meditation and all about comfort and assuming the correct position. At computer is not the correct position for a good, entertaining read.

But the UP side is that I do not like to accumulate stuff. Books pile up very quickly! Like horses, they are easy to get and hard to get rid of. I save my allotted 'book space' for books that are very meaningful to me, books I have read over and over again. I do not keep things just because I have purchased them. THey must be worht keeping, so an ereader does store a lot of words in a very small package, cuts down on dusting.

CYnthia, thanks for the offer! Should my ereader ever explode or more likely, get dropped in the bathtub, I'll give you a call!

8ereader for Sweetened Empty Re: ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:01 am

uno wrote:
What bothers me about the ereader is that I can't share a story with anyone. There it is, captured in my ereader.

I got a kindle from Moose's Mom for Christmas. You can "Loan" books with the kindle, so I'd consider looking into that a bit deeper. It removes the book's ability to be read on your kindle/reader/cloud and gives whatever person you loaned it to 14 days to read it on the kindle/cloud/app. Once that 14 days expires, it pops up an option to purchase and re-enables the original copy on the one that loaned the book.

9ereader for Sweetened Empty Re: ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:09 pm

This is also a really good blog. I actually haven't read it for about a year - no time - but this thread reminded me about it. I hope it's as good as it was when I first discovered it, and that you enjoy it: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

10ereader for Sweetened Empty Re: ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:59 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am telling you! Join Goodreads and plug in the books you have read. After that it'll come up with a list of books that it recommends based upon your previously read list. I have a hard time finding books that I like and so far the ones it has recommended for me have been great!
You can also get a book club going on there and post discussions about the book that you are reading.
Goodreads is totally the way to go. It even provides online shops that carry the book (eFile and actual book) and you can go and purchase the book.

11ereader for Sweetened Empty Re: ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:07 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

So Pollywog, help me understand this. Goodreads is not a place to buy books, but a site that helps direct you to books you might like, based on past likes?

This could be good.

12ereader for Sweetened Empty Re: ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

uno wrote:So Pollywog, help me understand this. Goodreads is not a place to buy books, but a site that helps direct you to books you might like, based on past likes?

This could be good.

Yes. And it has ratings and reviews of all the books. It is amazing. the last book recommendation I got from it was an amazing book. Perfectly suited to what I like to read.

13ereader for Sweetened Empty Re: ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:10 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, does your library system offer e-books on loan? Ours does. I am not sure how it works, I haven't done it yet, but I know it is something they do.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

14ereader for Sweetened Empty Re: ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

There is also Trivia games on there about books that you have read.

15ereader for Sweetened Empty Re: ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

16ereader for Sweetened Empty Re: ereader for Sweetened Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:56 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

AUthentic, I do not know if our local library offers elibrary books. But I do know that after a certain time they expire out of your reader, or something akin to becoming overdue. Since I am a pokey reader, I would likely get many books zapped away before I was finished. But it's something to look into next time I'm in the library.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum