Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Crazy January (and now February) Weather

+9
heda gobbler
Keibler77
bcboy
coopslave
Hillbilly
loushrop
Hidden River
rosewood
Fowler
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Crazy January (and now February) Weather Empty Crazy January (and now February) Weather Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:39 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Was around 5 degrees on the 30th and was up around 10 and raining today. Very windy too. The driveway is almost bare. Weird. At least I was able to have the coop wide open for 2 days for lots of fresh air. Didn't dare let them out while we were at work. Lots of hungry critters around.

Effect of the wind on an ice fishing shack in Southern NB.

Last edited by Fowler on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We had a heavy rain shower about half an hour ago. It seems in one week we have gone from a mild winter to spring showers. There is a lot of snow on the ground from the past two months. I really hope this is one of those years where our snow is gone by the end of February.

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

We had +2 and rain last Saturday and -25 on Monday, snow today and warmed up to -9.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It was -30 but with the wind chill -42. It was brutal doing chores. Lou

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Fowler, why is there a cabin for ice fishing? This is how we do it.

-38 right now,wind chill warnings for tonight .....-40 to -45 expected .............just shot me !

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

You are all getting what we have had for the last little while. Don't worry it will be over soon, we have had some warm weather. I don't want to talk about it to much, I don't want to jinx it, but it has been mild the last few days.

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:You are all getting what we have had for the last little while. Don't worry it will be over soon, we have had some warm weather. I don't want to talk about it to much, I don't want to jinx it, but it has been mild the last few days.
Yeah it has been mild....
Here is the day time high for the next 6 days High 5 °C 2 °C 4 °C 4 °C 5 °C 4 °C
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

Keibler77

Keibler77

We had -46 with the windchill here today and warming up to -2 by saturday, then 0 for Monday. Go figure...crazy weather indeed!

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hillbilly wrote: Fowler, why is there a cabin for ice fishing? This is how we do it.

Hmmm, you're right. That must have been the portapotty for the ice fishers.

Back below freezing today. Calling for some snow this weekend. It was nice while it lasted.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

The craziness continues. Could be a big blizzard hitting us tomorrow (Feb 9). Guess I should say my goodbyes now just in case I'm stuck in a glacier for the next few thousand years.

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's been nice knowing you Fowler.

Let us know if it actually arrives...

Hope you have lots of Kraft Dinner and Tang.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry to hear it is coming your way Fowler. We had it I while ago and I think it has been through everyone else. You are the last to get it I think.

It has been very mild here and I don't want to talk about it to much and jinx it. We can still get some nasty weather in February and even March, but to a lesser extent. -7C right now and that is as cold as it has been for at least 10 days. Very acceptable really.

Better if the ground stays frozen here for a few more weeks. Mud is very hard on the baby calves. Nice if they are at least a month old before it get really yucky.

Hope all of you over in the East don't get hit as hard as they are saying. Good thinking about the Kraft Dinner and Tang, Hedda, I don't think there is ever an expiry date on them!! Very Happy

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

prairie dog wrote:-38 right now,wind chill warnings for tonight .....-40 to -45 expected .............just shot me !

You're getting what Alberta had last week! Our school buses were shut down Tuesday and Thursday (Wednesday was a day off anyway) and then it warmed up to close to 0 for Friday. I hope your cold snap is followed by similarly warm weather!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

We haven't had any of that nonsense this year, but as Coopy says, it is early yet to be smug. Some of the coldest weather of the winter can be the first half of March (I know because my pigs farrow March 1, -40 is not unheard of!)

Stay warm and be sensible!!

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Anybody getting the blizzard yet?

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

No blizzard here yet. Yesterday was a beautiful day here except for 14 roosters that are now resting in our freezer. We did 8 the day before. They have been waiting a bit for weather warm enough to be outside. It seems I forgot to buy chocolates, flowers and beer so I could invite Uno. The deep snow on the driveway started to melt and I'm afraid the ice rink I have been trying to make is going to disappear into the pasture.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Storming here now. Looks like about 5 inches down so far but it's blowing so it's hard to tell.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think the weather is weird here, too, and it is just a teaser. It will still become more cold and all that snow that is melting is gonna make for some slippery stuff. Yesterday, it was sunny, oh glorious sun. In the sun it actually felt very warm. The high was 6 and at 5:00 at sundown it was still 2. Not overly cold this morning, -1, but I still love it. Bring that sunshine that soothes body and soul. I spent a good part of the day in the house doing something I could not avoid any longer. Making wheat grass with red fife wheat and making a duck noodle soup, made with home made noodles, home grown duck, celery, onion, carrots, garlic, garlic salt, pepper, Lea and Perrins and vegetable stock. A huge pot, and after everyone got a couple of quart jars, just barely enough left for lunch today Razz . Yummmmeeee. I wanted to be outside, but still, found some good time to get some water out of the chickens' runs outside, smiling. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Storming here now, too, but it's supposed to be plus 7 and raining by Tuesday.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, all done and cleaned up. Probably 0-12 inches on average but hard to tell the way it drifted. Some spots were lower, some drifts were higher. Had one spot in the yard with absolutely no snow left on it. Very windy.

Beautiful day today.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yet another one. (sigh)

They're talking 10 inches tomorrow. Supposed to be raining today (at least it's warm and I've got the coop doors open) but it's snow right now.

Come on April!

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry to hear that Fowler. We truly had a spring day yesterday. It was sunny, warm and beautiful. It worries me really, we could see some nasty weather yet, but I have decided to enjoy these lovly days when we get them.

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, hard not to get excited about spring when it is this nice (during the day). Piglets arrive any time after next week so hoping it lasts until then.

But we do need more snow on the mountain tops!!

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We woke to fresh snow this morning which has changed to rain. Our snow has been melting but we had more snow than we have seen in the last 10 years.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum