Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fabric SWAP buddies are sent.

+9
bcboy
mirycreek
'lilfarm
Prairie Chick
Micah and Kiah
authenticfarm
cbrookkelly
Schipperkesue
uno
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

26Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:52 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh that fabric goes together so well lilfarm!
I like the applique idea too...cant wait to get mine Very Happy

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

27Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:54 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I adore the green in two different directions. Before I read I thought you did it on purpose and thought, how clever, to use the fabric to give the illusion of depth!

28Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:16 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Micah and Kiah wrote:Thank you Prarie Chick for the awesome fabric! I love that there are eggs in a basket on the one print. Fabric all the way from SK!!!!

I wish I knew how to make an chicken saddles. I need some more of those!

Chicken saddles are very easy to make, I will look and see if I can find the link of the ones I made. If I find it I will send you the link Very Happy

29Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:19 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ok I found it, I didn't use interfacing when I made mine. I used old jeans so I don't know if you would need it with cotton, I wouldn't think so but not sure...maybe others will know. Also I didn't use snaps, I just sewed the elastic to the material.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

30Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:13 am

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have no idea really what to make....I have just started quilting. Does it have to be a quilt square or can i make a small make up bag or pot holders or.....I am not too creative yet lol. And is it a project with just the fat quarter we got or do we use it with other pieces?

31Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:12 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

CBKelly...make whatever you want! Use whatever you want! No rules to your creativity at all. This was just a fabric swap and where it goes is up to you! If you got a fat quarter you may want to add something from your own stash to jazz things up a little. The world is your oyster.

About chicken saddles...YIKES! Quilting cotton, at $15 to $18 a metre is NOT the fabric for chickens to put their poopy feet on! Also, it's not very heavy and will not stand up to the hard wear that toenails will create. I would not use lovely quilting cotton for chicken saddles. As Prairie Chick says, old jeans are much heavier, or find something at the thrift store to pic apart, something made of canvas perhaps. A nice piece of quilt quality cotton should be used for something lovley for you house, to make you smile, or to give as a gift.

If you really want to make a chicken saddle, of course you are free to. But I did cringe a little when I thought you might use nice fabric for chicken saddles!

32Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty fabric swap Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:54 am

Micah and Kiah

Micah and Kiah

ok, I'll use hubby's old jeans for chicken saddles and think of something else to make...

33Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:11 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Or what about making a saddle out of jeans then appliqué the basket of eggs. Just cut out a few baskets and sew them onto the saddle Very Happy

34Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty fabric swap Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:16 am

Micah and Kiah

Micah and Kiah

Prairie Chick wrote:Or what about making a saddle out of jeans then appliqué the basket of eggs. Just cut out a few baskets and sew them onto the saddle Very Happy

That will look really cute!

35Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:52 am

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

Schipperkesue wrote:I adore the green in two different directions. Before I read I thought you did it on purpose and thought, how clever, to use the fabric to give the illusion of depth!
Wish I was that clever but thank you for the kind words, makes me feel a lot better. Especially now that I'm struggling with the applique technique I want to do. Had a pep talk at the quilting store this morning (had to go for my Bday 20% discount he he he Wink ), Told them I know nothing about applique and was getting frustrated with my results. (practicing on scraps thank gordon) They talked me off the ledge, gave me a few tips and told me to PUSH through the problem. LOL. I could do it the easy way and use heat & bond, but I'm stubborn and determined to do a finished edge.

36Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

'lilfarm wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:I adore the green in two different directions. Before I read I thought you did it on purpose and thought, how clever, to use the fabric to give the illusion of depth!
Wish I was that clever but thank you for the kind words, makes me feel a lot better. Especially now that I'm struggling with the applique technique I want to do. Had a pep talk at the quilting store this morning (had to go for my Bday 20% discount he he he Wink ), Told them I know nothing about applique and was getting frustrated with my results. (practicing on scraps thank gordon) They talked me off the ledge, gave me a few tips and told me to PUSH through the problem. LOL. I could do it the easy way and use heat & bond, but I'm stubborn and determined to do a finished edge.

I don't know if it would actually be called appliqué, but when I made the square for Uno's cross Canada quilt I used heat and bond on a piece of fabric, THEN cut it out (no fraying) then ironed it to my fabric, then used a blanket stitch around the outside to finish it off and neaten it up. I will see if I can find a picture.

37Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:11 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Yay! I got my fabric. I love blue!! cheers

I am trying to post a picture but it wont work. What am I doing wrong? I have posted pics before... argh.

I didn't get a note with mine so I don't know who it is from...once I get this picture thing figured out my fabric swapper will have to let me know who you are. Very Happy

38Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:21 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

blackdove wrote:Yay! I got my fabric. I love blue!! cheers

I am trying to post a picture but it wont work. What am I doing wrong? I have posted pics before... argh.

I didn't get a note with mine so I don't know who it is from...once I get this picture thing figured out my fabric swapper will have to let me know who you are. Very Happy
Click on the link below.... Very Happy

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

39Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:42 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Okay, trying again from my tinypic account. I think it may be a connection issue on my end. ahhhh gotta love trying to get an internet connection in the sticks...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

40Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:45 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am thinking of trying this quilt as you go pattern. Has anyone tried this technique before?

41Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:49 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That was me blackdove! Glad you like it. It's hard to pick a fabric for someone you've never met!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

42Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:01 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Here's a picture of Sue's lovely applique. (I hope you all can see these pictures I am posting because they dont show up on my end)

Thanks for letting me know authenticfarm, you did a great job picking something out for me. Cool The fabric is something I would pick for myself!

43Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:10 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Blackdove, I love the fabric you got! Interesting table runner you're thinking of trying. With curves. Yikes!

Only the outside edge of the posted block showed up from where I am viewing it. I think 'tinypics' doesn't actually post tiny pics.

Lil'farm...those were tough fabrics! For me anyway. I think you're onto something great though. Applique? Nothing like jumping into the deep end. I have always admired but never tried applique. Now with my eyesight being not so great, I doubt I could manage the timy invisible stitches.

I can hardly wait to see what everyone makes!

44Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:11 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I cant wait to get mine, there was a parcel waiting at the po but I was too late to pick it up at the counter on Friday.
Quilt as you go?
Does that mean you are finishing the back as well? Like a sandwich quilt?

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

45Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:26 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

What do you mean, you haven't tried applique yet uno? Isn't this your handy work?

46Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:47 pm

blackdove

blackdove
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

mirycreek wrote:I cant wait to get mine, there was a parcel waiting at the po but I was too late to pick it up at the counter on Friday.
Quilt as you go?
Does that mean you are finishing the back as well? Like a sandwich quilt?

I'm not sure I understand it just yet, but here are the instructions. Hope you can read it, I don't have a working scanner here at home.

47Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:25 pm

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

This is what I made last night. Thank you Irene for t he beautiful fabrin . It went nicely with this one that I had. I realize My seams do not add up. I am getting the hang of proper cutting now loo....haveing way too much fun! Addicting...
it is a make up bag and I am keeping this one !

48Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:30 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice, Cbrook! Which fabric was which?

49Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty Re: Fabric SWAP buddies are sent. Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:32 pm

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Irene sent me thre pretty red and gold one...the darker one was from my stash Smile

50Fabric  SWAP buddies are sent. - Page 2 Empty fabric swap Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Micah and Kiah

Micah and Kiah

That is so nice! Ok, I have to admit it, I am a rookie crafter! I really am not sure what I can make on my own but my modern Mennonite mother in law might be thrilled to help teach me!

I met a lady who wore this funny thing...don't know what you'd call it but as we chatted I saw a pocket wiggle and the lady reached in and pulled out a chick! She made it to keep the wee ones close to cuddle, especially ones rejected by their mom as she didn't believed in non-living brooders!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum