Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hidden Houdan Hen's Horrific Hiding Hole!

+5
bcboy
foal0069
chickencrazygirl
happychicks
Schipperkesue
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I picked out three poor hens that were getting beaten on by the Roos and gave them their own pen last night. This morning I walked in to find only two. Where was the third?

Here are some hints. They are kept in an old style barn with a loft. The pen wire does not touch the ceiling. The barn is predator safe. Houdans are excellent fliers!

Now your turn. Guess away!

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Probably in the rafters!!

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is what I first suspected so I looked up and saw...nothing! The hen was not in the rafters. Not above her pen, not anywhere.

Next guess?

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Ok my guess is top of a wall ?? of course a picture would have helped Very Happy

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

foal0069

Back in the other pen cheers

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry, no pictures. They wouldn't help anyway. She was not on a wall or in a pen. I looked everywhere in the pain and she was not there. She is my best hen, and you can bet I was panicking!

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

On the roof of the barn. If a rooster lays an egg....
Well? Shocked

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You are all so close....

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm guessing in the wall!! She found a hole up high in the wall and was hiding carefully and quietly in it!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

In the hood of your jacket!

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:You are all so close....

You are such a tease Sue.

I think I owe you a naa, naa, na na naa! I told you the cold was coming!

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I will take your na naa naa in good spirits, Coopster!

Still close, even though I don't have a hood on my jacket. Razz

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Under your hat?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Are you accusing me of having Houdan hair?

foal0069

OK How did she get in the loft? lol

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bingo! She was in the loft!

The barn has good air circulation and all along the loft edge is an opening to the main floor of the barn. After looking for about 10 minutes I remembered how the cats go up and down the walls of the barn and squeeze into the loft. So I dragged out a ladder and climbed into the loft. She was there! Dusty, thirsty, a little pee'd off and still able to outrun me over the rotting loft floor boards. I finally caught her, tossed her into a big snow drift, which did not improve her mood, climbed down, and returned her to the coop. I wonder if she will do it again?

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Now you have to get your camera out and take some picture of your barn. What a Face

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ya, one more reason for me to never want a breed that is flyee or flightee, smiling. I like them to stay on the ground Laughing That is almost as bad as my finding where the ameracaunas were laying their eggs. Way up on a top shelf in the storage part of my chicken coop, in an empty old heated water bowl for dogs, but I used it for keeping chicken fonts from freezing. They had to fly up about 8 feet to get there. How they figured out this hidey hole, no clue, but they did. Flighty birds. Guess there are some wonderful things about them, but just not for me. Glad that you found where she was, probably was not a good spot for her. I knew if I waited long enough, you would divulge that secret Razz Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum