Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hidden Acres

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hidden Acres Empty Hidden Acres Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:23 am

I was wondering how that all went. Thanks for letting me know. Since your neighbour put his hand inside the goat and she already had dead babies there, you might want to treat her with an antibiotic to ward off infection. I have to read up on why that goat did not deliver properly. Most likely it is a deficiency. I have observed my goats for a year now. They do not eat anything like sheep. I bring them tree branches rather than grass and they are happy. They pick through hay in winter and waste a great deal because they are not hay/grass eaters in the wild primarily.

Don't worry about kidding. I had zero problems with my pure Pygmy goats. They are the most amazing little creatures. The pure Nigerian also had no difficulties. The crosses are the ones who needed help, but again, they are first time moms. I have goats and kids for sale if anyone is interested.

2Hidden Acres Empty Re: Hidden Acres Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:55 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

How long have you been raising goats, Fat Ewe?

3Hidden Acres Empty Re: Hidden Acres Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:10 pm

Sue, I think you already know the answer to that question.

I am a new farmer, never had grown up on a farm, had no experience with most animals except dogs and I only got the goats a year ago.

Why do you ask?

4Hidden Acres Empty Re: Hidden Acres Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wasn't sure. You sound like you have a lot of experience but you have said you are all new to this so I am not sure what to think. I asked because sometimes I want to share some advice I have, but then I think, I don't want to say something you already know and sound condescending. That would not be polite.

5Hidden Acres Empty Sue Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:00 pm

Please share all your advice. Please do not feel that it is condescending. If I know something, perhaps some one else does not. I could learn more from those with experience than all the reading and talking to vets and farmers that I do as well. Also, please feel free to contradict or correct as needed, based on your knowledge of years of experience. This would be valued and appreciated. Thank ewe.

6Hidden Acres Empty Re: Hidden Acres Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Keep on posting your thoughts and advice TFE! I think you are doing great. The first year of any livestock keeping is a big learning curve and I can see you have put time and effort into learning. Sometimes the experiences of a "green" keeper can be even more valuable than that of a seasoned one. Sometimes you see things in a fresh way that others become complacent or blind to. I don't care who I learn from. New or old. Everyone has something to contribute. Especially those who don't think they know it all. Generally, they are the least insightful.

7Hidden Acres Empty Awe Shucks Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:15 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Susan.
It is a good day today. We (the Fat Ewe Farm) got the Class 2 permit, which means we can serve meals and cater parties on or off site, plus do the regular B and B stuff. Hooray! We are rural and it would be nice to offer suppers to latecomer and/or catering to meetings booked in the daytimes. Yay!
and it is my daughter's 30th birthday today.
and there is a young lady coming as a B and B guest tonight who wants to dedicate her life to organic farming.
And the goat babies are thriving and little Pippin is nursing and is loved by her foster momma.
but the only downside is the baby turkey who got himself soaked somehow in the thunderstorm last night.

I am trying. It is all I can do. Thanks for the lift!

8Hidden Acres Empty Re: Hidden Acres Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I was so happy to hear about Pippin! That was an awesome idea. Bet she will thrive. Congrats on your new status, hope the business thrives. Way to go!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum