Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hatchling persistent scratching

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hatchling persistent scratching Empty Hatchling persistent scratching Thu May 12, 2011 2:38 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

I've tried online and only seem to come up with ideas or remedies for older chicks. This is the second time I have seen this, the last time it was fatal within a day. This chick is not nearly as bad...but it does scratch at it's "ears", seems to be the left side from what I can tell, and complains loudly at that time. It does seem to settle for quite some time in between, so I'm hoping maybe too much liquid and it just needs time. Just pulled them out of the 'bator this morning so they have not had food or water yet.
Otherwise, any ideas?

2Hatchling persistent scratching Empty Re: Hatchling persistent scratching Thu May 12, 2011 3:38 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I really do not know what it is, we had a baby turkey like that last year, drove me crazy, made me think if it is driving me crazy what is it doing to the poor turkey? Eventually (about 1 week later) it seemed over the issue so not sure what it is?
Could be moisture in it's ear? I was thinking maybe an ear mite, but not sure how a fresh hatchling would get one of those? I know in babies you are supposed to put a drop of mineral oil in their ears if they are having problems with them, not sure if you can do that to chicks or not?

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum