Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

hatchling eggs?

+3
ipf
CynthiaM
bigrock
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1hatchling eggs? Empty hatchling eggs? Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:33 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Does it matter if there are blood spots in an egg, or pigment...for chosing hatchling eggs?
my marans, are starting to lay some pretty nice eggs, and one in particular has a stunning 8...so, i want to hatch some babes...this same beautiful egg has blood spots in it, and or lots of pigment...i think the pigment is no big deal...but the blood spots..no idea. perhaps someone here has an idea

2hatchling eggs? Empty Re: hatchling eggs? Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:49 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Seems to me that I recall that eggs with meat spots do not hatch, could be wrong. And I think that some breeds are more prone to those blood spots, like the dark egg layers. I think just try to hatch them and see if they develop. Nothing set in stone, just something I remember talk about. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

3hatchling eggs? Empty Re: hatchling eggs? Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:56 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

She-who-is-temporarily-banned maintains that eggs with blood spots never hatch. I can't think of any good biological reason for this, and have found no literature to support or deny it.
What do you mean by "pigment"? Internal or external?

4hatchling eggs? Empty Re: hatchling eggs? Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:00 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

How do you know there are blood spots in a Marans egg without cracking it open? Do you have a fancy megawatt candler?

For the record, I say if you have room, throw them in the incubator and see if they will hatch.

Well, maybe don't throw them...  Shocked 

5hatchling eggs? Empty Re: hatchling eggs? Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:09 am

Farmchiq

Farmchiq

I would try them too. It would only be around 10 days before you could see something through those dark shells.

6hatchling eggs? Empty Re: hatchling eggs? Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:21 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

In my experience from hatching eggs from dark layers like Marans and Welsummers, there's a solid chance you're just seeing shell pigment. Lots of the dark shells have a blotchy or porous look when candled.

http://countrythyme.ca

7hatchling eggs? Empty Re: hatchling eggs? Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:00 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:How do you know there are blood spots in a Marans egg without cracking it open?  Do you have a fancy megawatt candler?

oh you.....
it just so happens that this egg..the one i salivated over was cracked..so it went to the dogs.. And since we have a dog with immune issues, i cooked the egg and there was either a blood spot or it could have been the pigment. I know the marans will sometimes throw the pigment inside the egg, and i have seen it. This however looked a little different..

I don't know how to candle eggs, and i don't have an incubator.. per se
just some very....VERY willing broodies Smile no way am i pulling eggs out from under this one..she is good

Chick Help 

8hatchling eggs? Empty Re: hatchling eggs? Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:01 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

ipf wrote:She-who-is-temporarily-banned maintains that eggs with blood spots never hatch. I can't think of any good biological reason for this, and have found no literature to support or deny it.
What do you mean by "pigment"? Internal or external?

thanks you...who is temporarily banned?
i guess i will find out in 21 or so days

9hatchling eggs? Empty Re: hatchling eggs? Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:11 pm

Farmchiq

Farmchiq

Bigrock I have both a candler and an incubator if you want to use the former and fill the latter. Wink

10hatchling eggs? Empty Re: hatchling eggs? Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:49 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

bigrock wrote:
thanks you...who is temporarily banned?
i guess i will find out in 21 or so days
Uno

11hatchling eggs? Empty Re: hatchling eggs? Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:21 pm

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

I had a BCM that had spots in her eggs last year. She lays beauty dark ones too! For two months strait I cracked every egg and every egg had small or large spot(s).

I had previously read uno's posts but she is my only BCM and I badly wanted to cross her for EE layers. Without much hope I decided to try incubating and 80% of them hatched healthy. The ones that did not I think had larger blood spots in them. Not sure? Anyway, after she moulted her eggs were fine again. It can't hurt to give it a try  Smile

12hatchling eggs? Empty Re: hatchling eggs? Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:10 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Farmchiq wrote:Bigrock I have both a candler and an incubator if you want to use the former and fill the latter.  Wink

How generous! Do it, Bigrock! Let Farmchiq be your chicken enabler!

13hatchling eggs? Empty Re: hatchling eggs? Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:01 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Farmchiq...you da best! .. thanks for that very kind offer....but i will stick with my tried and true broodies...see what happens, i have 6 eggs collected, and hopefully by this weekend, we should have a nice bundle. Then all the work is done, and it is a mystery how many actually hatch...

I am being tempted by True norths Ameraucana's though...as i have heard she has nice large eggs and my Amer lay a small egg Sad so, we can never say never...and we just keep finding other buildings that can work as chicken houses...

My name is Carol and I am a chicken hoarder

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum