Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Making friends with a skittish goat

+2
Hillbilly
Fowler
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Making friends with a skittish goat Empty Making friends with a skittish goat Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:15 pm

The queen is social, interested, but the smaller one is scared -- I think the move traumatized her.

Is there a couple tricks to initiating contact? She won't get within arms reach on purpose. I got her to nibble a carrot, briefly, before the queen butted her nose in, and I got her to eat some oats, however only when it was out of my arms reach.

I know she's eating, and she wasn't this skittish when we picked her up -- in fact, she came right up to us. Is this just a time thing?

Thanks! The books I have don't seem to cover this.

2Making friends with a skittish goat Empty Re: Making friends with a skittish goat Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:17 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Keep on with the oats. Soon they'll be mugging you.

3Making friends with a skittish goat Empty Re: Making friends with a skittish goat Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Fowler wrote:Keep on with the oats. Soon they'll be mugging you.

Thanks Fowler! I'll do so then. I was worried this may be a scarred for life thing Very Happy

4Making friends with a skittish goat Empty Re: Making friends with a skittish goat Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:38 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Goats are so curious by nature, you won't have any problems. Just letit come to you on its own terms. Goatex is a tasty treat they cant seem to resist.

5Making friends with a skittish goat Empty Re: Making friends with a skittish goat Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:36 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Carrot sticks and oats are good
just don't over do it.
Also try just sitting in their
pen take a lawn chair and sit
for a while each day so you
become one of the gang.

I have a foldup chair and
quite often will just sit
also to observe each animal
or bird to look for problems.

6Making friends with a skittish goat Empty Re: Making friends with a skittish goat Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:27 am

karona wrote:Carrot sticks and oats are good
just don't over do it.
Also try just sitting in their
pen take a lawn chair and sit
for a while each day so you
become one of the gang.

I have a foldup chair and
quite often will just sit
also to observe each animal
or bird to look for problems.

Thanks everyone.

I eventually want to get them straight grass fed, but I heard oats and sunflower seeds can be really good for them in moderation, especially when pregnant -- little bit of energy.

I also spend lots of time in the chicken coop, just watching, I like to wait until it's quiet, see if I can hear any rattly breathing or other sounds that indicate something's up -- and I love to watch them.

We've been trying to sit in with the goats regularily, making visits that are not strictly timed, but are numerous. Hopefully she'll come around soon!

7Making friends with a skittish goat Empty Re: Making friends with a skittish goat Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:36 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

It just takes time. Eventually you will be posting How do I not walk on my goats? LOL I'm sure you will have happy acres so enough Very Happy

8Making friends with a skittish goat Empty Re: Making friends with a skittish goat Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:00 am

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sunflower seeds are good as they have selenium in them so I would do those especially when you have young ones.

As for getting the goat to come around, most of the time they will. Mind I had one goat got her as an adult and called her my 2x4 goat as you would think I beet her with one. Not never did, but sold her after 2 years.

As long as your in there not rushing around the goat that is eatting the treats will show the other goat your not scary just by eatting the goats. However be ready with a treat in your other hand so that if the scared goat comes over and the friendly goat goes to eat you have a back up.
You may also try to tie the friendly one up with some hay so its happy and have some treats in your hand.
The more time you spend with them the more they will think you are one of the gang.
Mind not too many oats goats get bloat and can die with too much of a good thing.

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

9Making friends with a skittish goat Empty Re: Making friends with a skittish goat Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:44 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree, most goats will come around with patience and treats. Although we have one old girl that never has learned to trust us. We bought her along with 2 other nannies 5 years ago. All 3 were timid at first, but the other 2 quickly became real pets, to the point of being underfoot and in the way when working around the herd. Smile Snowflake has always remained scared of people. I'm not sure what might have happened in her past, but something traumatic, I'm sure. She is great mother and we all love her, but try to respect her issues and leave her alone, other than necessary things like worming and hoof trimming.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum