Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Beauty tips for the rural lady

+8
authenticfarm
Ruffledfeathers
Hillbilly
smokyriver
Susan
coopslave
Schipperkesue
uno
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Beauty tips for the rural lady Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:37 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

A while back was told that Show Sheen, a horse product, sprayed onto the leg hair of the dog would prevent snowballs from clinging to him. When dog comes in from outside, he carries in at least 3 gallons of snow with him and is banished to the basement to thaw. He is unhapy and the basement is always wet.

As per suggested, the Show Sheen did indeed reduce the snowball clingage. HOwever, there was an unexpected and unpleasant side effect. We call it Show Sheen Slippery Floor Lawsuit. The Show SHeen rubbed off his fur and onto the floor, making it deathly slick. Hubby went down more than once. At Christmas dinner we greeted each guest at the door and ushered them through the porch area with a death grip on their arm. Didn't want any broken wrists at Christmas dinner. We did NOT spray the Show SHeen over the flooring! THe dog was confined to his bed and it was gently squirted on point blank. We went out of our way to avoid overspray onto any sufaces. But this stuff is lethally slippery. Like Armor All for horse hair.

SO what to do with this monster bottle of the stuff since spraying it on the dog will soon lead to a broken limb for one of us.

I have bad hair. Large, poufy, prone to tangles. I wonder...squirt, squirt, squirt. LEt me tell you, tangles no more! And since I do not rub my head on the floor, I do not make the floors slippery. One must exercise caution when applying it so you do not overspray onto the bathroom floor. But the Show Sheen has made after bath comb outs practically knot free. Horse Daughter has started using it too. She is prone to base of neck knotting. A few shots of Show SHeen, knot problems solved.

I have no idea the long term effects of this no doubt highly siliconed product on my head. At this point, I don't care. My hair is glossy and I can get a comb through it. However, I have had to give up wearing perfume since the scent of the Show Sheen is quite strong and distinct. It smells like we're all off to a jumping competition at the local horse stable. I give it, so far, 4 thumbs up out of 5.

Any innovative beauty treatments out there? Share.

2Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:44 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, I think your hair is like mine. I have been known to come to school with straw and sticks in my hair and never notice. Snarls are the bane of curly hair.

Here is my hair beauty routine. I warn you it only happens once a week so you don't think I am a slave to my hair.

1. Wash hair, rinse and apply conditioner. Do not rinse out! Put on a bath cap, dry off from the shower and let the conditioner soak into your hair at least an hour.

2. Rinse sparingly and DO NOT comb. NEVER comb curly hair. It will only frizz out even more. Run your fingers through it to untangle knots. Leave some conditioner in your hair.

3. Apply show sheen or whatever leave in conditioner you choose. DO NOT COMB. Run a little hair gel through it. DO NOT COMB.

4. Dry by air or with a diffused blow drier. Scrunch it with your hands. Scrunch: Squeeze and crunch at the same time. DO NOT COMB.

5. When you sleep cover your head with a satin nightcap to prevent snarling.

6. When you wake up, DO NOT COMB. Put on the kettle and when the water is boiling put your head in the steam and rescrunch your curls. Try to avoid steam burns.

7. Enjoy a nice cup of tea.

Now I realize this is really not what you are asking, but give it a try. You will never have to comb your hair again.

3Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:49 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't know about Show Sheen, but I know a few people that use Cowboy Magic in their hair.

4Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:50 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hee hee. We used to use show sheen all the time when we were at a horse show- on our horses and our own hair. Worked great!
Sue, I have another great trick. I hate blowdrying my hair ( it's almost down to my waist) so some days I will crunch over the heat vent in the bathroom a d let the furnace dry my hair. Works in about 10'minutes and I have lots of curls and body even with my hair so long. Lol

5Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:43 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have really thin flyaway hair and used to use show sheen for the forever knotting clumps. I also use a product called Aloe Hoof on burns( I can no longer find this exact product but have found one called protein hoof cream. It is not as good but works great especially rope burns. For my dry hands I use a little bag balm, or any saddle sores which may occur come springtime! Lol. I actually use a horse shampoo when I can find it, but can never remember what it is called

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

6Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Susan, I have done that! Bonus points for conserving fossil fuels!

7Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:11 pm

I usually keep a bottle of olive oil in the house for skin and hair purposes, as well as shaving. I've been no-shampoo on and off for a while now, however something usually comes up that ruins it (like running out of water in the cistern) as it requires hot, running water to be effective. I recently found "CowShed" at Winners. It is a botanical based shampoo that froths due to the addition of meadowsweet and soapnut, and it doesn't wrench the oils out of my hair. I use it once a week, otherwise I just rinse my hair in the water now. If there's a buildup or film on my hair, I pour plain white vinegar in and hope I don't get my eyes.

Recently, I've been using oregano oil on small freckles and have noticed them subside (read it somewhere).

As an aside, I also burn body oil I bought from the company I'm a rep floor (trying purposefully to not make this a plug) a few months back in my oil burner -- no smoke, smells lovely.

8Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

While not falling into the beauty item theme, equine products made me think of this designed for equine massage therapy. We use it for sore muscles etc with great results. I find it better than anything designed for humans.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

9Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Laughing
Okay Sue and Uno what you have made me realise is that

A)I have a long drawn out hair routine and it doesn't include show sheen. Sounds great though
B) I don't need show sheen to fall down lol! I'm already as graceful as a deer on ice.

10Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:00 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Susan, I used to dry my hair on the way to work by pointing all of my car's air vents at my head and scrunching as I drove! With a half-hour commute, my hair was always dry by the time I got to work.

I've used Absorbine for sore muscles, Udder Budder for dry hands ... and of course, I've accidentally vaccinated, dewormed, pour-on-ed and penicillin-ed myself on numerous occasions, because I am a clutz.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

11Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:21 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:Susan, I used to dry my hair on the way to work by pointing all of my car's air vents at my head and scrunching as I drove! With a half-hour commute, my hair was always dry by the time I got to work.

I've used Absorbine for sore muscles, Udder Budder for dry hands ... and of course, I've accidentally vaccinated, dewormed, pour-on-ed and penicillin-ed myself on numerous occasions, because I am a clutz.

What no AD and E or Selenium? I thought anyone with cattle would have a yearly dosage of those also!! LOL. I know growing up I got mine!

What about the yearly manure mud pack? I used to get these at least once a year. Early spring when the calving corrals are nice and mucky because that nice thick wet snow that fell over night just before the chinook moved in and melted it to make the soup bowl for a corral, and the one or two rank cows calve and take a shining to your backside to place you face down in said soup. Kept my face youthful. That's for sure!! You need the cows help for it though as it doesn't work too well unless your whole face gets covered and a little ends up in your mouth!! Boy do I ever miss calving time!! Lol

12Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:31 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

For anyone who milks cows fresh milk also works wonders for a hand cream if you can dry your hands quite quickly on a cold day

13Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:42 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hillbilly wrote: While not falling into the beauty item theme, equine products made me think of this designed for equine massage therapy. We use it for sore muscles etc with great results. I find it better than anything designed for humans.

Could it work so well because the dosage is for an 1,100 lb animal? Hmmmm, do they sell horse Advil? I've got a headache this morning.

14Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:38 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

DOn't have any horse advil for you Fowler, well, I do, but let's not talk about that. HUbby takes horse glucosamine for his aching bones. Sprinkles it on his hay in the morning. Yum. Hope your headache goes away.

15Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:45 am

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh c'mon Uno, we could send Fowler some Bute! One pill Fowler and your headache will be gone! (Though your stomach might be too) lol!

16Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:48 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

You are right Susan, we could. Which one of us wants an envelope of mysterious white powder traced back to our mailing address? I can see myself explaining to some authority, the horse did it!

Ah, I kind of like Fowler's quick wit and humour and we all know that bute can turn even the sharpest among us into a staggering, drooling idiot for at least 8 hours. Wait, maybe that's just me ? Suspect

17Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:15 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:You are right Susan, we could. Which one of us wants an envelope of mysterious white powder traced back to our mailing address? I can see myself explaining to some authority, the horse did it!

Ah, I kind of like Fowler's quick wit and humour and we all know that bute can turn even the sharpest among us into a staggering, drooling idiot for at least 8 hours. Wait, maybe that's just me ? Suspect

If I used it on a Monday morning, noone would notice.

Fortunately regular Advil seems to have worked for now.
Stupid cold.

18Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:31 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler, I have some liquid Bute if the Advil doesn't keep working for you. I could probably have it there by Monday. Very Happy

All of you that can dry you hair the way you do are so lucky. Mine is long and THICK. If I just let it dry naturally it will still be damp by the end of the day (except on really hot summer days). If I go to bed with it wet, it is still wet in the morning, very yucky. I have to help it or it would never dry. I am very tempted to try Show Sheen. I have a 4L jug sitting right behind me........

19Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:00 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Do it, Coopslave, Show Sheen your long, lovely locks.

My hair is also thick and without aid, will be wet at end of day. But I am surprised at the people who dry over ducting. Have you looked down your ducting! affraid

I've looked in mine and all I can see is pure, unadulterated filth! I jam bits of quilt batting into all the vents to filter out the gunk that comes howling up from that crematorium we call the furnace. I have Olypmic sized cobwebs in this place, thanks to the wood heat and the filth that blasts through this house all the time. Place my newly washed hair over that? I don't think so!

Fowler, glad your Advil sized headache is better. When you next get a he-man ache or pain, call Coopslave, she's got the good stuff.

20Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It is mfunny to read what you poor ladies have to go through, being a balding guy hair is not much of an issue, but reading this did remind me of stories my dad used to tell of logging in the far north during black fly season and having to cover themselves and the horses in axle grease in order to go outside. He never did say what it did for his skin or hair though.

21Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:22 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Black fly, the little black fly
Always the black fly no matter where I go
I'll die with the blackfly picking my bones
In north Ontario, i o
In norhth Ontario

Wade Hemsworth (I think)

Google it. Totally Canadian.

22Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty black flies movie. NFB Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:06 am

jocelyn

The Nation Film Board has a copy of the black flies cartoon and will loan it out...priceless. The song goes along as usual, but the cartoon to go with it is side splittingly funny.

Jocelyn

23Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty black fly movie Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:17 am

jocelyn

here's the link, it's on you tube now...huge grin

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

24Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:19 am

Wow ! and I thought that my sister was a bit off when she used her dogs shampoo when she ran out ( no offence to any one here ) ?? must say I have had a few good laughs from all the postings though Razz more power to you if ? it works that is ............... Question

25Beauty tips for the rural lady Empty Re: Beauty tips for the rural lady Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:07 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Heck, why not? Shania Twain uses Bag Balm.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum