Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Time for...

+2
Piet
CynthiaM
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Time for... Empty Time for... Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:46 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yep, been saving eggs now for about 10 days. With my buff orpington gals deciding that this is a good time of year to really get back into laying, got a whole whack of eggs that I am going to set pretty soon. The cochins are laying again too, 3 of 6, so anticipate that 3 more will be soon doing their jobs and get off their big butts.

Got a mamma buff orpington sitting on a dozen eggs, due to begin the hatch today and another gal due in about 11 days. They do a lovely job of incubation. When it comes time that the mamma buffs have abandoned their babies, those babies will go into the chicken grow out coop along with the youngsters that are incubated by machine. Thank the lucky stars that chicks are always so nice to each other Very Happy . Another big mamma is making the broody sounds, so she will be given eggs soon too. When she decides that she wants to sit and won't move for blazes or water off the nest. Then she gets eggs. Go figure this one. How on earth can a mamma hen that wants to brood eggs, sit on nothing but straw, no eggs below and still refuse to get off the nest. That one befuddles me to no end...you would think that no eggs would get rid of the sense of broody. Nope. They will be content to sit on air Shocked

My incubator lives in my chicken coop in a small insulated room. But oh glory be...I talked to my Daughter the other day about incubating in cold weather. She offered, smiling....yep. Her words were basically. Ah, come on Mum, bring that incubator into the back room and run it there. It is at the back of her house, attached, so heat from the home heats it. That is where I store all my preserves and it is decently warm and dry. Not too warm, not too cold, but consistent. I have stored preserves in much warmer places than this room. In that back room is a mountain of other stuff too. Like the hot water tank, the water softening monster machine, all the extra coats and boots for different seasons, all kinds of stuff. All organized nicely and well, lots and lots and lots of room for my sportsman incubator, which really doesn't take up a whole lotta space. Smiling a whole bunch here.

So ya, today is the day that we are going to move the sportsman and get it readied into the back room. Gonna pack a whack of eggs into the racks for the eggs and then wait just a little longer until I have enough cochin eggs to get rolling with. Soon. But got stuff to do with the unit first, wanna get it good and clean and tested. Don't want any wrinkles in my plan.

Ya, so quite a jump start on the season with the incubator into a heated area, instead of out in a cold chicken barn. The incubation unit does not work overly well if the air temperature is cold. I could put a little oil heater into the chicken barn to keep the incubator area warmed up. But that would be electricity used which is redundant. The back room of the house is perfect, and not a single bit of extra energy spent on air heating electricity. Yes....the new year brings wonderful things. And I am off to a good start with doing things that make me happy. Bring on the baby fuzzy butts!! Gonna have some fun pretty soon. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

2Time for... Empty Re: Time for... Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:58 am

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My pullets are starting to lay and am seeing some large sized eggs. Just waiting on my 190 to arrive and then I will get going also. Yes it gets cold, but we have lots of heated space:)

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

3Time for... Empty Re: Time for... Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:55 am

R. Roo

Last edited by R. Roo on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

4Time for... Empty Re: Time for... Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:59 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

CYnthia, I do most of my hatching over the winter months too and like R.Roo says, sit back and watch them grow, come into lay in late summer, early fall. I figure I have a heat bulb running in the hen house all winter anyway, may as well plop some babies under it.

YOur kids are good people. Who knew the offer of bringing the bator indoors could warm a mom's heart? I think all that warmth will make a better hatch! Yes, I believe it.

5Time for... Empty Re: Time for... Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:49 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ya, Uno, good point. I need young pullets for the next year, 2014. By that time they will be hens and will have great immunities to pass onto their children in that year. So, growing out and choosing lots of nicer and better gals will be the agenda for this summer. Whilst the older gals are shedding their clothes and getting new garments, the young pullets will fill that gap of no egg laying because of their counterparts molting. Ain't goin' again with two months with barely enough eggs to cover our families' breakfast pans, smiling. Eggs, all year around. Now isn't that just conjuring up a wonderful thought about food, smiling. Yep, I have some nice kids. Still know that deep in their heart -- they think I am totally whacked. I know they shake their heads sometimes. But hey, let that river flow....have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

6Time for... Empty Re: Time for... Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:42 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

You are lucky CynthiaM. Wish I was set up to start hatching now. Just not able to do it until the weather improves.....sigh. Will be late March or early April before my first eggs are out.

I look forward to pictures. You will be a hatching machine this year with all the ROOM you have now!!! Laughing

7Time for... Empty Re: Time for... Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:49 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Today I will candle my eggs on my first setting the in the new 190. I have two broody dark cornish hens but I have no place to put them yet so that i can give them some eggs to sit on.We have more snow than usual, I have spent more hours plowing than I usually do in a year, my firwood pile is shrinking way too fast, but having the eggs on gives me hope for spring. Back to work today, candle eggs when I get home sounds like a good day to me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum