Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What do I use for a bite wound on my hen

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What do I use for a bite wound on my hen Empty What do I use for a bite wound on my hen Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:57 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We had an episode with a hound dog in our flock this afternoon. The last hen crept back home just at twilight but has a skin tear probably about 3 inches long across her lower back. He grabbed her by the tail and got a mouth full of feathers and in the process managed to split her skin. What is the best thing I can put on it to keep infection out. I think I've read that honey is good. Is there a specific kind of honey or just normal honey that you buy in the grocery store? Any other recommendations?? Thanks in advance. She's one of two light brahmas and I would really hate to lose her.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Honey. Any kind you have on hand. Unpasturized is best, but regular will work too. Separate her, an upside down laundry basket makes temporary quarters if you have nowhere else to put her. OFfer water and small amounts of food. If a lung has been punctured you have bigger problems. FEEL her, carefully and slowly under her feathers looking for injuries, they are not always easy to see. Shock can also kill a bird so warmth and quiet are important.

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We had a coyote strip some flesh off of one of our cuckoo marans. We thought that she might not make it and what we did was was the wound with betadine and then slap on honey. Even the vet when we called said use honey. It works, it really does. We use honeey for coughs and sore throats and also burns. It is good as an antseptic and an antibiotic. We buy lavender to enjoy on toast and buckwheat for medicinal purposes...just some research that I once did. Good luck with your bird.

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks so much! I do have betadine in the house and will get some honey tomorrow and treat her. I have a small pen which is unoccupied at the time and I can put a heat lamp in there. I don't think there are any internal injuries but will examine her more closely tomorrow. It appeared like he just grabbed her by her big fluffy tail and his top teeth cut her backside. I watched him do it as I was hollering and running in his direction but then she took off with the rest of the flock and when I rounded the rest up, she was missing.The dog was left spitting out a huge mouthful of fluffy Brahma feathers. I really think it was all that fluffiness that saved her life. She hid out somewhere until almost dark. Poor thing!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum