Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

guinea with one long claw

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1guinea with one long claw Empty guinea with one long claw Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:03 am

niglefritz

I was informed this morning that one of our guineas has one very long claw. I read somewhere to put a concrete block in the coop. I also read that what someone (from backyard chickens) did for chickens was to use cat/dog nail clippers and clip back the toenail. If it bleeds, put flour on it.

What do all of you recommend?

2guinea with one long claw Empty Re: guinea with one long claw Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:40 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

With chickens i have clipped toenails with small side cutters or wire cutters shouldnt be too much different. If you hold the foot up agains the light you will see where the quick ends and where the extra build up of the nail begins, I would go just a little bit out from the quick myself.
Although maybe claws are different than toenails?
If you do err and cut a little deep it is usually just a few drops and pressure and elevation seems to do the trick.
Anyone more helpful that actually has guineas?
Concrete block is probably a good idea but if one if that much longer I think it should be clipped right away.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3guinea with one long claw Empty Re: guinea with one long claw Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:48 am

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Some of my bantams get long toe nails
and I use a dog nail clipper just like
doing dog nails just cut in front of
the quick.

4guinea with one long claw Empty Re: guinea with one long claw Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:11 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Some of my hens and guineas get long toenails/claws. I always wonder why but just trim them periodically.

Maybe check that the toe itself isn't broken or damaged. Funny it should be just the one.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum