Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Re: Pd $35 for bad hatching eggs. What to do?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

The eggs I am hatching for a friend came in a vehicle from Gull Lake to Grande Prairie, and then sat for 7 days before getting to me. The hatching eggs that I have had such bad luck with were shipped from a town only 2 hours from mine, so they arrived in 2 business days. I have to say that they were not packaged as well as the first shipment of eggs I recieved, and that hatch was very succesful. I can only imagine that the shipping was too hard on them, and caused the infection inside? Not sure but very dissapointed.
Will try to see inside the dark eggs tonight, following the tips I have recieved on here.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

It has been my experience that the eggs themselves are not bad, but the shipping sure is. If there were eggs I wanted that were only two hours away, I would go get them if I were able, since I know what shipping does to eggs. No one has been able to pin point WHY shipping eggs tends to be very hard on them, but it sure does!

Eggs that are infertile and never even start, those might be eggs to be upset about. But eggs that start and die cannot be labelled bad, since that regularly happens with those of us who rush them straight from under a hen into the bator! Hatch failure rates with shipped eggs are the norm and to be expected. It is a huge gamble to ship eggs. As long as they started...they were good eggs.

3Re: Pd $35 for bad hatching eggs. What to do? Empty Re:Re: Bad hatching eggs. Sun May 08, 2011 11:52 am

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Understood. You know, considering the size of Grande Prairie and all the small towns that use GP as a shopping base, etc, there seems to be little to no poultry/small farm animal community here. I have had adds on kijiji looking for poultry etc, and really have not had many replies. Furthermore, alot of them came from breeders hours away wanting to ship!!!

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi, I am guessing the six eggs are the JG's for smokyriver, and they are fine, right? The other eggs were from someone else.
Just making sure. Smile

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

No Chickeesmom, the eggs from you are snug in the incubator, due to hatch tomorrow!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum