Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Empty Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:21 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had plans to breed her to my American boy. She had other ideas.
Now I have puppies, but they are not purebred. OMG, they are CUTE!!!
I will take photos this weekend. There are boys and girls available. What is amazing is that some of them have natural docks. It is natural to the Polish Lowland to sometimes have puppies with naturally docked tails.

They are about 5 weeks old and will be going for a vet health check, vaccinations etc next weekend. They will be ready for homes the week after.

They will be medium sized, active, probably have an old world herding style. My PONs are great with my chickens! They will gather them if I ask, otherwise they are pretty happy to just be in there guarding them from other animals and keeping them from going out to certain areas. I have not trained them to do this, it was just natural to them. I expect these puppies to end up less than knee high, something like the size of an Aussie.

2Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Empty Re: Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:03 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Who did she decide to breed with? I was wondering what the cross was.
I bet the pups are very cute.

3Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Empty Re: Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

A dog we had boarding here. The father is an Australian shepherd cross. They are sooooooo cute, gorgeous red and whites for the most part. Border collie type markings.

4Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Empty Re: Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Those little guys should have some MAD herding skills!

5Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Empty Re: Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:08 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

The PONs dont tend to herd like border collies, they tend to be looser and wider, more of the old workin in the mountains farm dog type. The PON was nearly wiped out in the second world war. A veterinarian went into the polich mountains loooking for the dogs and reestablished the breed. They are relatively new to the show scene. They dont tend to be used for herding competitions because they do not work as tightly or as intensely as Borders, Belgians, heelers, aussies, kelpies etc. On the other hand they are faster and more intense than the old english, rough collie and other drovers. I find with the birds they dont chase them, they will sometimes gather and bring back in the geese if they go onto the front lawn.

I would look at them for a "general farm dog" that will bark at coyotes, patrol the yards, let you know when stangers come, chase off magpies (I have a couple who love to do that) do some herding etc. The PONs tend to be very into routines. They pick them up quickly.

6Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Empty Re: Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:14 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Did not know you had PONS
They are great little dogs except for the grooming of the Long hair LOL
They sound like they are going to be nice pups
are they going to have more of the BC coat or the Pons coat (Polski Owczarek Nizinny)
Cant wait to see pics as I know they will be cute

7Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Empty Re: Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:57 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I imported my first PONs about 12 years ago. I wsa looking for something different, and they were very very different from the arctic spitz breeds I love so much. My PONs have more of a working coat, especially the mother , so thier coat does not grow to the really long show coat. To get that I ahve to bath and condition and groom carefully reglarly, otherwise it gets to about 4 or 5 inches and that is it.

The coats are all in the Border collie range from average border collie to quite short, nearly smooth border collie.
I need to get some pics!

The cool part is the tails.

8Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Empty Re: Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:13 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes that is interesting that the tails are natural
went to your pons site and they are some nice looking ones you have
also went to the Seppala site and have been on it for god only knows how long.
Darwin use to mush up in Green Lake
and Loves the Sib's he wants one again one day I just tell him you never know one day Santa might bring you one LOL He says as long as it is Blk & White with blue eyes santa can bring it.
Sorry for the Ramblings
Loved the sites

9Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Empty Re: Polish Lowland Sheepdog cross babies Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:34 am

Katt

Katt

I'm very interested in a puppy! Would love to see pics and discuss further. I am in the lower mainland of BC so have to take shipping into consideration, but please more info!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum