Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It Really Works!

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1It Really Works! Empty It Really Works! Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:25 am

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

Last summer and this summer I have only let a few chickens out at a time under supervision, partly because last summer a lot of dogs were around, and because I had a hard time trusting them. But I got brave this week and now that owners are keeping their dogs away I just opened the door to the pen and let the chickens take over the yard. They had a great time, and amazingly, at sunset and even sooner, they all started returning to their pen Very Happy We had to catch one, and my night-owl chanteclers took their time, but they really do go back in of their own accord. I was worried some would decide the trees or roof were more interesting places to sleep, but they know home is best. This was my dream, free-ranging chickens during the day. The other reason I waited so long to try is not wanting my garden destroyed, but that is not a concern now. The only problem - now they rush the door when I go in to feed and water and check for eggs Rolling Eyes Having two pens, I alternate days so their is no fighting between them. My speckled sussex hens have no problem standing up to the chantecler rooster!

2It Really Works! Empty It really works Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:18 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

This was my dream too. Last year we had no problem just letting the chickens out in the morning around 9:00 and they would free range all day until it was time to come in. My husband (Wes) works from home illustrating chicldrens novels or now and then something for National Geographic etc. This year, there are too many bears and huge numbers of coyotes. There is no culling here. Imnagine one female coyote may have 8-10 pups twice a year. If there are 20 coyote females with 2 x20 per year, in 5 years how many would you have? TOO MANY!!!! We had a chicken attacked 2 weeks ago and with the help of some members (thanks Uno) Mattie (Ms Lucky) is doing well. Last night I let my dog out and she yelped. I just had to get something band then I usually go and stand on the porch. There was a young coyote snarling at my old golden retriever, Boy was she scared.

So now, chickens can only free range from 4:00 to 6:00 pm (I work outside the home and rush home to help herd the chickens back into the coup) This because of coyotes. When I phoned for a gun licence, I was told that we live in the wrong area,,,although we are considered rural, we need to be above the hydro corridor. Sure wish the coyotes were above the hydro corridor. Between the bears and the coyotes this year we have lost almost half of our flock.

3It Really Works! Empty Re: It Really Works! Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:28 am

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

There are coyotes around here, too, but because all the chickens have to free range in is an oversized back yard very close to the house, I hope there won't be a problem. Also, they don't go out unless we are going to be home. I do worry that one will wander too far and we won't be able to find it. I am sorry for all your losses. As we are learning, no matter good the care, things happen, and I have a hard time with that. Dogs, cats, and little critters don't have near the problems as chickens do, but the sad times are somewhat made up for by having an excited flock crowding around making all their neat sounds and looking for company or treats. I never knew chickens had such a large repertoire or sounds, and it is really neat. Also, I can have more chickens than I can have dogs or cats! I hope your survivors have a healthy, safe winter.

4It Really Works! Empty Re: It Really Works! Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:33 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree it is great to see your flock all out in the yard pecking around and finding things to eat and so obviously loving it! I have to keep them penned up during the summer or they destroy my flower and vegetable gardens. But this time of year is great for free ranging.
The first couple of times I let them out there were a few that needed some help finding their way back in, but the majority just wander back into the pen at dusk.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

5It Really Works! Empty Re: It Really Works! Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:58 am

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My chickens geese and turkeys put themselves to bed every night unless of course Jackson LGD is acting weird then they might go to bed early. It makes for a mice night to see them all snug as little bugs in a rug. Lol. Lou

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum