Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Arthur O. Schilling - His Works of ART

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Arthur O. Schilling - His Works of ART Empty Arthur O. Schilling - His Works of ART Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:07 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

2Arthur O. Schilling - His Works of ART Empty Re: Arthur O. Schilling - His Works of ART Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:39 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Those are indeed beautiful examples of the ideal Chantecler. I do love to study pictures like this...I agree it is important to burn those images into your brain so you are always aware and reminded of what you are striving towards.

Meaning no disrespect to the artwork provided in the modern editions of the Standard of Perfections, but many of those representations are just not realistic enough to me. I spend a lot of time going over the written descriptions, but I am a very visual person. High quality paintings or touched-up photos would make it much easier for me to visualize what constitutes a perfect example of a hen or rooster of a particular breed. I guess what is lacking to me is the 3 dimensional aspect of the birds rather than a cartoon or caricature drawing. I want to be able to visualize the skeletal and muscular structure, the texture and layering of feathers. I know it is asking a lot, and that amount of detail in the past would make a book like the SOP cost-prohibitive. But with today's computer programs and photo enhancing abilities, I am hoping a new edition of SOP with natural-looking images will be coming soon!
Anyway, just wanted to add my 2 cents!
Thanks for re-posting this, HigginsRat. Smile

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3Arthur O. Schilling - His Works of ART Empty Re: Arthur O. Schilling - His Works of ART Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:52 am

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

HigginsRAT wrote:Heel low:

I take photocopies of his artwork for the Standard of Perfections and put them in plastic sheet protectors and hang these in my poultry barns, coops, and pens. Something burned into your consciousness, look a copy, look a bird.

Tara did this for my birds at the show in December and it was so helpful,that I copied the photo from her post and always take it with me when I go look at my birds.
I sold six of my hens shortly after the show and felt very insecure about making these choices, I still do. I hope I didn't let my best go, but I think that I at least minimized my mistakes by doing this.
This is a great tip I encourage all of you to do this for your breed. Some things you may not be noticing jump out when you have one eye on your standard in one hand and your other eye on the bird.
Thanks Tara

4Arthur O. Schilling - His Works of ART Empty Re: Arthur O. Schilling - His Works of ART Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:54 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

5Arthur O. Schilling - His Works of ART Empty Re: Arthur O. Schilling - His Works of ART Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:07 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

thanks Tara for the great idea! i will have to try that with my faverolles!
~and Arthur O. Schilling is one of my favorite poultry artists! Very Happy i like his use of mixed media in his work, it does give them a much more realistic likeness!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum