Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Last visit to the doctor a success for my wife

+7
toybarons
Arcticsun
Prairie Chick
Schipperkesue
CynthiaM
triplejfarms
Hillbilly
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Some of you know, but most don't, so I will back peddle a bit.

A year ago, after many years of constant pain and heavy narcotics, a neurosurgeon was finally able to do something with my wife's low back herniated disc.
Relatively new in Canada, a discectomy was performed and a prosthetic disc was inserted in lieu of an old bad one.
They had to go in through the front in the abdomen (you can imagine what is involved here) before getting to the spine.
What was left of the old disc was removed and drilled clean ( she was bone on bone at this point) and a disc made of two titanium plates sandwiching a hard plastic ball was inserted into grooves they drilled upward into the top vertebrae, and downward into the lower vertebrae to keep it in place.
This procedure was all done in an hour and a half.

More amazing yet, is she walked out of the hospital 2 days later.
Several visits over the past year all with positive results.
This last visit was anxiously awaited by the surgeon to see how his patient was doing a year post op.
He was thrilled (as have I been) with her recovery, and how her lifestyle and ours has resumed to how it was years ago.

No more visits to the doctor are required.

It was also her birthday two days prior, so we spent a few days hitting all the tack stores in the Vancouver area.
There was also a day of cattle sorting up island yesterday that I told her we would go to for her birthday as well.

It was truly a joy watching her ride like that again. Its been about 5 years since we've done this due to her back.
In the first jackpot sort we placed 2nd, and she placed 3rd with another partner in the same jackpot. No pain for her, and nothing but smiles from us both.

Needless to say, we will return at the end of October for the final day of sorting for another fun filled day!

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

awesome!! just to tell you though i got queezy reading this lol i have a fractured L4,L5 from my bridle deciding to break when a meat head horse decided its spring of the year lets try to dump her....LOL i get some pretty bad back pain sometimes asp after i had my daughter, i am glad to see sucess stories with back surguries such as this!! makes me feel better as some day i may need it! cograts to your wife and her new life now!!! Smile cheers

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh man, wow!! I could not even begin to go there with the pain this woman must have been in. I get a sore back now and then, in the lower back, and it sure does make for some awkward times. Wow, to me honestly, Hillbilly, is just wow. Can't even begin to imagine how she would have gotten around. And to get on a horse and do some sorting. This is shocking and most pleasing to hear. Quality of life will improve so much for you both, gads, can't even begin to imagine how exciting this must be....five years in this kind of physical trauma. Oh happy day, oh happy day!! Enjoy and enjoy more, the new life you have together, yay!! And now, do so, to have that most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes Cynthia, she's had many terrible years. Watching her get out of bed with a cane in her early forties was tough for me as well. Lets just say its been an emotional few years for us both, but all is right again in our world Very Happy

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I always love to hear a happy ending story, Hillbilly! Sure puts your own problems in perspective.

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Now that is something to be thankful for! Very Happy

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Absolutely! That is amazing!

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I enjoy reading a happy ending and of new beginings. Thanks for sharing your story. Smile

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is truly good news, fitting time for giving thanks. I have seen the pics and the smiles are genuine. Many happy years of penning, roping, gardening and walking to both of you! Thanks for sharing, Hillbilly.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Remarkable what they can do these days. Just this past week my Father-in-law resumed bowling 8 weeks after open heart surgery.

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That is wonderful. I hope you guys have lots of riding ahead of you! Lou

jocelyn

all the best. Hope it keeps getting better and better.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum