Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Missing Poultry and Goats

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Missing Poultry and Goats Empty Missing Poultry and Goats Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:35 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

The 74 Annual Provincial Winter Fair was held in Barriere this past weekend. The fair was started in 1939 in Vancouver, but was moved to Kamloops soon after because of the Second Worrld War. Originally the fair was held later in the year, but after a couple unpleasant visits of winter weather it was moved to the end of September. The fair is the final competition for many of the 4H Clubs of BC.

Until a couple years ago the fair was held at the KXA which is a facility owned by the Kamloops Native Band. The Band wanted more revenue to come from this property then was coming from the Winter Fair and other exhibition uses. The city and the Band dcould not agree to a new contract.

Barriere has hosted the Provincial Winter Fair for the past two years. This gives Barriere two large agricultural fairs in September. The Winter Fair starts on Friday and continues until Monday. The School District here schedules a ProD day on the Monday. The North Thompson Fair committee has built a new agriplex on the fairgrounds. This has created a new poultry barn which was used this Labour Day for the North Thompson Fall Fair. Unfortunately this new facility was empty for the Winter Fair. My question is can those of us poultry fanciers in the Interior fill that building next September?

2Missing Poultry and Goats Empty Re: Missing Poultry and Goats Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:30 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Might I suggest something? You've heard this before. BUt maybe instead of having row upon row and cage upon cage of bird after bird, in static arrangements, why not go for a 'display'?

The one and only poultry fair event I was involved with was just that. No caged birds with their little cups of water But pens large enough for chcikens to scratch, hop on and off roosts, roll in the shavings (dust bath without the dust) get in a nest box, and lay an egg. We had a hen and new chicks in another pen. We had roosters (who got along) crowing and flapping in another pen. We had galumphing big meat birds in another pen...

We provided bales for people to sit on and watch the birds. We would take the Silkie out (very tame) and let kids pet her, because they all asked "what happend to that chicken's hair?" It was interactive with chickens being chickens and people loved it! We got so many positive comments and the fair adjudicator told us (two never before volunteers and my wonderful builder husband) that never in all her years had she seen such a gorgeous poultry display.

It was a celebration of what chickens are and do. And that way Rosewood, you don't need exhibiotrs from far and wide. Just a handful of people from close by with a variety of birds, maybe some new chicks, maybe some weeks old meatbirds...and build BIG display cages (ours were all 4 feet deep, by various lengths, by 8 feet tall, each had a man door that we entered to clean and feed, they were gorgeous!) Go for quality over quantity. That's what I would suggest if you wanted to get poultry on site but are having trouble with numbers. Go for smaller but better!

3Missing Poultry and Goats Empty Re: Missing Poultry and Goats Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:27 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is an idea worth considering here, Uno. The building is set up for a row on row poultry show, but with some work that could be changed. Much of the fair is competitive being that it is mainly 4H, but there are some educational components. All the classes from the elementary school spent part of the day touring the fair last Friday. Right now I'm looking for ideas. There aren't many 4H poultry clubs in the Interior.

4Missing Poultry and Goats Empty Re: Missing Poultry and Goats Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:18 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's a good idea. A small structure like a greenhouse kit, but covered with mesh instead might work. Or perhaps some person or business looking to sell backyard coops and/or tractors might be willing to supply one for a display.

5Missing Poultry and Goats Empty Re: Missing Poultry and Goats Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:10 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Potenitaly yes we could Very Happy If they have a good judge and good prizes. I would also like to see divisions and prizes for jr competators as we need to encourage them to enter.

I think you could do a display with in the competation area like many of the poultr show do.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum