Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Goose Question's skinning and cookings

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Goose Question's skinning and cookings Empty Goose Question's skinning and cookings Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:33 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi
I have never skinned a goose before always plucked
well we are doing a goose for Thanksgiving and want to skin
could someone tell me the easiest way to skin one
we are going to cut off wing tips if thaat helps
also
any good Ideas about cooking as I have always done it with the skin on so dont want it dry and want it to taste good and juicy does not have to be stuffed
Please help if you can

Thanks
Joe

2Goose Question's skinning and cookings Empty Re: Goose Question's skinning and cookings Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Miry should have some hints for you Joe. They skin all their ducks, I think the last time she mentioned she cooked it in a slow cooker to keep the juices in?
We cook ours skin on but skin it before eating since the people that did them for us left so many pin feathers in, so we cook it just slowly in the oven in a roaster with the lid on, I do use a grate in the bottom to lift it out of the fatty water.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very easy to skin Joe, I tried to pluck one last year but got frustrated and just skinned it. I just used a knife as i pulled the skin off, you will do fine.

I also was told to cook in a slow cooker and to lay bacon on top of it so it won't dry out...Yummy!

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Never skinned a goose but I dont see how it could be any different than a duck?
Yes helps if you are willing to sacrifice the wingtips, they are harder to skin out...
We just cut off wings at the closest joint at the start, same time we cut off the head and feet.
Then when you skin you can just pull the skin back right over top of the wing joint and it comes off neatly, just like a coat sleeve.
The older birds are a little harder to seperate from their skins but it can be done if you are willing to pull a little bit more.
I think to avoid dryness you can turn them breast down for half the cooking then turn them up to get a little browning on the meat...the breast is the only part that can get a bit dry, or try cooking them with lightly greased foil on top of the breast meat and on the leg ends.
One day I will have to try a goose too. Enjoy your meal!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Roast a skinless bird breast down and covered. A large roaster, larger than you need , will work fine. Salt the inside and out lightly, add herbs, spices, garlic, onions..and and an inch of liquid (water, orange juice, stock, etc). Slow roast at 300 for a longer time than if you roasted at regular temperatures with the skin. If you keep it covered it will not dry out and the meat will fall off the bones. I have even roasted large birds like turkeys and geese in a slow oven (275) overnight. You might not want to ever slow roast a frozen bird though since the temperature is not high enough to kill bacteria that may grow as the bird thaws and cooks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum