Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Critter Count

+3
karona
Schipperkesue
Fowler
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Critter Count Empty Critter Count Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Don't know what the weather has been doing in other areas but around here we've had a long warm summer. So much so that I heard on the radio that the feral cats have had an extra litter this year.

Other things I've observed;

Although our house is high and dry, there is a lot of low wet ground in our area. I've never seen a Chipmunk in the 20 years we've been here. I have recently seen our first in the backyard.

Grey squirrels don't seem to do well away from towns. I've seen one out here about every 5 years or so. They don't seem to last long. Lately, I've been seeing them all over the countryside.

In a normal year, we might catch 1-3 mice in the house. I've caught 7 in the past month.

Just thinking, if feral cats have had one extra litter, how much extra have some other critters reproduced.

Anyone seeing anything similar in other areas?

2Critter Count Empty Re: Critter Count Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I saw my first Monach butterfly in Alberta this year. All butterflies, even the Swallowtails vere very numerous. More ravens, less foxes and coyotes. The toad population exploded. I must have caught 50 in the window wells and transplanted them to safer places. Also saw chorus frogs this year for the first time in this new location.

We have had fewer meadow voles and mice, but more muskrats and weasels. Fewer mice in the house, but we have been working to make the house more mouse proof of I guess that doesn't count.

The one animal we have much more of this year is CHICKENS! You sure can hatch a lot in a Brinsea!

3Critter Count Empty Re: Critter Count Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:47 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

It is a strange year.
We had very few toads and hummingbirds,swallows
were down a bit bats population was good and I think
they are still here.
My hoya in the livingroom is still blooming and
has been for months and the cactus in the kitchen
sink window is blooming again with two blooms.
Had a terrible year hathcing bought eggs but my
own did fine.
Hubby has had 3 surgery's in three months.
I am looking forward to next year hope it is better.

4Critter Count Empty Re: Critter Count Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:02 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Almost no wasps, which was nice. Water in all sorts of unusual places in the fields. Lots of thistle.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

5Critter Count Empty Re: Critter Count Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:12 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Gee Fowler, I thought you were going to make us count our chooks and I NEVER do that! With no real count, when hubby asks how many chickens I have I can honestly say 'I don't know, hun'. (really need the sweet, doe eyed smiley now)
I can tell you how many pullets I have or how many of a particular breed, but an overall count.......just don't know. scratch
So glad you weren't asking how many chooks I have. Very Happy

6Critter Count Empty Re: Critter Count Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:29 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm the same way with horses. Husband says "is that a NEW black horse in the trailer???"

7Critter Count Empty Re: Critter Count Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:11 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would never do that because I don't count my own. If I don't know, I can't lie. Plausible deniability. What a Face

8Critter Count Empty Re: Critter Count Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:29 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

There are strange things done in the midnight sun...

What a weird year eh? I don't count my chickens either, so thanks for not asking for a head count, I could, but do I want to Very Happy . Nope, better let that sleeping dog lie.

This was a year here for green caterpillers (how do you spell that? my speller says it is wrong, oh well)on the black elderberry shrubs. Nearly defoliated the entire trees before I would go every day and shake the blinkers out of the trees for the worms for the chickens (thank goodness for chickens that love to free range Cool . Elderberry grows about 10 feet or more in a season, so it wasn't long before all the leaves had grown back. I think the caterpillars were (there spelled it right) in massive growth this year. Blah. Other than that, I don't think there was anything extraordinary about bugs. Lots of grasshoppers, but that is regular. Had a few tomato hornworm larvae, never developed past the large larva with the horn on the tail, I got them, but certainly more than I had seen in prior years. Think that was about it. I remember in 2010, the year we moved here there were thousands of brown stink bugs EVERYWHERE. They would even land on the human body, there were so many. Now that certainly was interesting, such neat bugs. My experience with weirdness, not so weird, but kind of weird to me. Beautiful day wishes for us all, CynthiaM.

9Critter Count Empty Re: Critter Count Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:35 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Count chooks scratch I always tell the DH they won't stand still long enough for me to count Laughing
I have noticed that there were loads of dragonfly's and a fair amount of bee's but not those big ones they looked like little baby bees.
As for the fur lots of voles, shrews, and field mice which is okay because Ms. Cleo has to do something with her day.Lots of squirrels and munks as well.

10Critter Count Empty Re: Critter Count Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:33 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh yes, you are right, LOTS of dragonflies!

11Critter Count Empty Re: Critter Count Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:48 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmmm good point. I hadn't noticed but you're right. There are tons of dragondlies around of all different sorts.

Wonder if this could indicate that it was a big year for the bugs they eat.

12Critter Count Empty Re: Critter Count Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:08 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Me had way more frogs here than the last couple of summers we have been here. Hear them all the time this year and hadn't heard any before.
Lots more butterflies as well.
Interesting about the dragon flies, haven't noticed that here, but will keep and eye out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum