Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I think Im making fat chickens!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I think Im making fat chickens! Empty I think Im making fat chickens! Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:05 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just butchered some of the roosters in the grow out pens who didnt make the second cut and boy were some of those boys fat!
We skin our chickens instead of plucking them and I couldnt believe the internal fat that was in them! Our hands were greasy when we wer done. Im sure they will taste fine and tender but now i am a little worried about how much fat I have put on the roosters I am keeping for breeders...and maybe the pullets are the same?
Tricky to produce standards that have been fed enough to reach their full growth potential but yet not end up with fat unproductive birds, I imagine the roos will lose lots over the winter and during breeding season but I do worry about producing excessively fat pullets who will not lay as well and may be prone to prolapse.
I was feeding about half grower pellet and half whole spring wheat.
Is it the wheat I have to go easy on or the grower pellet?
OR maybe less of each?
I was feeding all the greens from the garden as well.
Maybe I should make sure the pullets get lots of free range opportunities when I can, they get lots of exercise running after those bugs, but then I bet those grasshoppers etc are chock full of calories!
What do you thinK?

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

2I think Im making fat chickens! Empty Re: I think Im making fat chickens! Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:55 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have no useful advice on what you should do differently...I am just very jealous! I cannot seem to put any fat on the roosters I am growing out. I processed the first batch, and they are long and lean without an ounce of fat.
I assume it is the grower pellets in your feed providing the extra calories. Well, that and I suppose the hoppers. I have mine on a mix of ground wheat, whole wheat, barley, peas and a bit of oats. They are growing well, but definitely no fat.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3I think Im making fat chickens! Empty Re: I think Im making fat chickens! Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:59 pm

are your grower pellets concentrated, like 35% protein or a complete feed?

4I think Im making fat chickens! Empty Re: I think Im making fat chickens! Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:59 pm

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Personally i would not worry about it. Have you checked corn intake or Protein intake?

5I think Im making fat chickens! Empty Re: I think Im making fat chickens! Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:44 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

No corn intake(unless you count the leftover ones from my garden!)
and no it is not a concentrated mix just the complete grower, I think it is 15% protein.
The wheat I dont know the protein on but assumed it was about 15% average protein as well(it is good quality local stuff) which i thought would be good for growing birds out.
I used to let all my grower pullets out to free range every day and keep the roosters in but lately I have been letting the laying hens out instead.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum