Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ahhhh September...

+9
mirycreek
Jonny Anvil
Piet
CynthiaM
coopslave
heda gobbler
Fowler
happychicks
Hillbilly
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ahhhh September... Empty Ahhhh September... Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:49 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

While everyone is usually complaining "summers over!", I soak up this time of year. The days are still warm, while the nights are cool and sleepable. There's that bit of crispness in the air in the mornings. The leaves are starting to get that lovely rustle to them as they prepare their journey to the earth to enrich our soil. The wonderful colors are coming.

This is the time of year I take off. Everyone has jammed their holidays into August, and the backroads are quiet. Its my time to book off a couple weeks and spend my mornings on my trusty steed while its cool for the both of us. Trips up the mountain are rewarded with a visual you don't get in any other season. The bright yellows and oranges of the maples against the backdrop of green firs. The smell in the air that just says fall is coming. Ahhhh, yes, September, I have missed you.

2Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:49 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

September has my favorite weather too and though I can't pack up for a couple weeks, I do have a couple nights booked for a getaway. Looking forward to that and hoping for that nice crisp cool but clear weather.

3Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Able to have a coffee or a beer on the deck without all the bugs!!!!

We were sitting out there one day, just watching the backyard, the chickens and sheep doing their thing, the wild birds flying around. I said, "You know, people PAY to go to places like this."

4Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Isn't that the truth Fowler.

5Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:54 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

New snow on the mountaintops this evening.

But yes, finally pleasant riding weather!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

6Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:22 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Holy crap, you said the 'S' word!!!! Shocked

I have to admit, I am a summer girl, but I do like September. You paint a beautiful picture HillBilly.

7Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:26 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

As a rule summer is too hot for me. I just start coming alive this time of year!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

8Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:35 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nice thoughts there Hillbilly. September for me is a month of work, smiling. The garden harvest are coming on hard and it is all I can do to try to keep up with the summer bounty. Doin' pretty good at it. I don't like the end of the warm mornings when I get up. I like those hot days and warm nights and warm mornings. Had to turn our heat on each morning for about 15 minutes to take the chill off, til sun rises and warms the air. This brings fog here. Being close to the river, the fog rolls around, coolness. September is a time for readying for the winter ahead. I like that it is cooler to get the jobs done that must be done, ones that are just not done when the weather is blazing hot. But yes, it is surely a most beautiful month, with the colours that are beginning to show in the trees. Won't be long before the chickens are in bed before I make supper. I LOVE that. Lots of comfy food cooking, which is not the same as in the summer time. This is a beautiful thread, thank you for the start of it. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

9Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:47 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My favorite month also, My birthday and wedding were both in September. Even more importantly, start of hunting and elk bugling in September is just fantastic!
Piet

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

10Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:38 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

I am looking forwards to our getaway next week. Karrie is very excited to be spending her birthday on the Island. Sightseeing is on our todo list, and I plan on taking lots of pics.

It will be nice to experience September, my fav month as well in a new setting!

Looking forwards to taking in the beauty and relaxing!

Cheers!

11Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:25 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The weather is going to be perfect for you next week!

12Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:30 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

September is beautiful... bittersweeet but good like quality dark chocolate, Lots of endings it seems but also new beginnings too like the back to school thing.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

13Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:40 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love the Fall. Summer here gets too hot, too intense and often, too smokey. The highways are too busy and people on the back roads going to the various lakes drive too fast.

The fall seems to be when everyone takes in a deep breath, lets it out and relaxes. As Cynthia said, there is clean-up to do, putting the garden to bed for the year. But it's a gentle tuck in and kiss goodbye until next spring, sleep well, my fertile soil. There is a kindness and gentleness to this time of year, not the glare and glint of summer. The days get shorter, the horses start to fuzz up. The tomatoes ripen.

Hillbilly, enjoy your time to explore with your favorite equine buddy. Harvest them monster pumpkins! I think I'm going to go stare at the garden right now!

14Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:53 pm

Ah yes ,September !Also my Birth month as well and the coolness of the air combined with the fall leaves and scents emitted from all things that grow who know there time is almost up is amazeing !I wait for that one day when you go out and the smell of fall is in the air ,geese are flying ,grouse are about on the trails ,bucks are looseing there valvet ,ducks are gathering for there long journey south .Best time of the year to have a fire and do some star gazeing .............gotta love it .

15Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Hillbilly wrote:The weather is going to be perfect for you next week!

Sure is,
I have been following it all along... very excited to spend time with KareBare on the Island!

16Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:58 pm

I've been leading up to, and today worked through, one of my very busiest days at work. So it's been a bit nutty for me, and tonight I feel pretty fried. However I did take the dogs out for a nice long walk and it still (again?) feels like summer back there in the bush. It's so nice to be able to sit on my deck after work like I can at this time of year. In July it's way too hot to sit facing due west, even with the trees here. So I am seriously loving this after my day today. pale

My firewood is all done for winter, I've got half my hay in the barn and I have put my liner into my motorcycle jacket. Smile I am really looking forward to a beautiful autumn.

17Ahhhh September... Empty Ahhhh September Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:00 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

September is my favourite month as well. We got a farm sitter for the chickens and ducks and headed to wine country for 4 days of R&R. Arrived in Summerland on Saturday and visited with friends, beautiful country, Drove back this morning from Summerland and took the other route through Princeton. Lovely country and really want to go back next year to paint. The landscapes are quite lovely. Sigh! Now back home to start the chores for the fall, putting the garden to bed and finishing the new coop with broody room and new house for the ducks.

18Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:25 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

This is the first year I have not been waiting for fall. With the hottest, driest summer to date here, we had no bugs and absolutely amazing weather all summer. I'm a bit sad to watch it go.
Normally though, September is a time to get all the work done for winter. Back to getting up at 6 for the school bus at 7... No bugs means working outside with out a bath of DEET first.
Good thing as we have a greenhouse to finish, pigs, a goat, chickens and turkeys to butcher and process, and a porch to insulate, barn windows to install. Ghads I'll be glad when the to do list is only yearly chores without all the extras.... Freedom 55! (at least if we're lucky -lol)

19Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We got back last night from spending a few days camping on the Nitnat River.
With noone else around, and a huge beach to ourselves, it was perfect. Peaceful and quiet, and our dogs could be dogs.

Its 28 here now, but not an August kind of 28. A slight breeze and its wonderful outside.

I know jonny and his wife are enjoying this as much as I am.

Nitnat River at Dusk

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

20Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:55 am

missiekaren

missiekaren
New Here

This is coming on my favorite time of year, I dislike summer a lot! I hate the humidity And the heat! You can only take off so many clothes in public!! The fall is beautiful here , cool nights and beautiful days, colors changing , Fresh garden veggies are ready, and if I get chilly I can add a sweater! Love everything about autumn!

21Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:27 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hillbilly, what a lovely picture, very nice. Where is the Nitnat Valley? On the Island? I do like the cooler days, yesterday peaked at 28 and that was just nice, but boy, as soon as the sun downs, it is back on the jeans, shirt and a hoodie shortly thereafter. Ya, but there really is something nice about cooler evenings sleeping in bed, I do like that too. Although still remain a heat goddess and don't like winter, but it is coming. The trees are just beginning to look like they might be changing colour, the black elderberries are ripening very quickly now. Lots of picking to do there too. Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

22Ahhhh September... Empty Re: Ahhhh September... Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:11 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That picture is on the Nitnat River which flows out of Nitnat lake on Vancouver island. The lake is a big destination for windsurfers as it is always windy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum