Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Questions Do You Ask When Buying Hatching Eggs, Chicks or Grown Birds?

+2
islandgal99
silkiebantam
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I've always wondered this when people are buying and selling. Most transactions probably take place through private message, email or in person, so you very rarely see just what it is that people ask or tell about their birds. How do people make thier desisions on that they are getting?

In the past I have mostly asked about where their stock comes from and what lines. If possible I would like to see pictures. (If I can't see the birds in person). But I have always wanted to ask about health, disease or genetic history of the birds but have been scared to incase that seems rude.

What questions do you ask when inquiring about hatching eggs, chicks or grown birds? And What sort of informations as a seller do you give?

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I recently bought some eggs... I asked what diseases they have had in the flock on the past year. I Fully expect to hear cocci, I think most folks get that if they have chicks, it's almost a trick question. And I also ask if they vaccinate just so I know what I'm getting. I don't vaccinate, and don't needs to bring in a bird freshly vaccinated with live vaccine. My own opinion. And it leads into a discussion of flock health. If people are offended, RUN. The health of you own flock is at risk any time you bring in new birds and eggs so you must be cautious. This should be something people are willing to share if they are selling eggs or birds.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Silky bantam, You might ask these questions
1) How long have they bred the perticular breed
2) Where did the parent stock come from
3) Are the lines they subject to any genetic defects (they should be knowledgable about this)
4)Do they vaccinate for any thing and if yes what type of vaccine and I would think if they are vaccinating for Marek's why? as some breeds are prone to the disease and you should know before diving in ie: Seabrights, some lines of Silkies
5) Do they practice mite contol and the products used (if purchasing adult birds)
6) You may also ask about their feeding program as this goes to the health of the birds and can effect the vigor in chicks and eggs.
7) Ask for references that you can contact personally

I am sure with some thought I can add to this list

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

Im willing to give full disclosure on any of my products, and I expect the same when purchasing. Dont be afraid of offending any one with uncomfortable questions, in fact an offended seller only rings alarm bells for me. Look for evasiveness and vague answers that dont directly answer your questions, You have the right to back out of any deal at any time without penalty, never let yourself feel obligated in any business transaction- these types of emotions, any emotion, can be preyed on by skillful operators. This is why feelings have absolutely no place in the business world, sucks but true: bet the corporation that stimulates you to feel good about them and their product(skillful advertising) makes the most munny- yet the business has no feeling at all its not a living being(tho considered a citizen of the country), the people, however, that operate the company feel really really good about you sharing your money with them to their benefit. In a proper transaction the seller supplies what the buyer needs and wants to make them happy(emotion) or satisfied. The buyer supplies what the seller needs and wants too, the point being its a two way street where both parties come out equally happy and satisfied- NOT a situation where the greater benefit goes to one party. Unfortunately you may have to search far and wide for this principle in action as common thinking is that there is nothing being done illegal by taking as much as you can get in every transaction.
My best advice when purchasing anything is research the product thoroughly as well as the seller, wait, research again and then decide what you need and what you want before throwing money around.

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

There are some really great suggestions here! Some really good points.

I've never thought about asking about feed, but now that I think about it, it makes sense. It does effect the developement of the chicks.

In the future, I'll not be so shy about asking what I want to know.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Not trying to be Miss. Negativity here, but also keep in mind that if you ask, you may not always get a truthful answer. For some people it is all about the sale at any cost, even compromising what little moral substance they may have.

If you want to buy from a stranger all the advice above is most excellent. However, if you want the truth them buy from someone you know and can trust. That said, I am not implying that everyone you do not know lies, but getting to know a person before purchasing, and before they know you want to buy from them really increases your chances of honesty and builds an excellent buyer/seller relationship.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm pretty sure that I would never buy anything, either eggs or birds from someone that I did not know, or have heard words about, positive words. That is just me.

Heather touched on feed. I think that feed is one of the most important aspects of keeping birds healthy. Not all of us have the ability to free range the birds, so supplementals, like meaning the addition of greens, however the greens are given (ie., alfala comes to mind) and other goods that are not of the bagged feed sort are good to hear. I am of the strongest opinion that good health begins with the parent flock taken care of in the most high regard. That brings healthy babies, healthy hatching eggs. Nutrition. Nutrition. Nutrition.....

Don't know why this so comes to mind, but that is my first thought, how are the birds cared for in the way of feeding.

Gads. A mind block. Can't get over nutrition. We are what we eat for surely. So for me, how the birds are fed, and knowing full well where the birds come from to me are the points that stand out in my mind. There are other points, but at this point, this point is the only point that comes to my pointed brain Razz . Pointedly, have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Would it be fair to ask where their other stock comes from (not just about the birds you are going to perhaps purchase)? What about their biosecurity practices?

I realize that not everyone will admit everything. This is a risk that we take buying from people we don't know. The other thing is, not everyone might be aware that they have some issue with their flock. Whether they just don't know any better, or if the problem hasn't reared it's head.

One of the nice things about forums is we get to know people somewhat by what they post. You get some sort of feel for what that person stands for, problems they may have had with their birds (if they post in the hospital section), and how they care for their birds. Sometimes we are lucky enough to get to see pictures of their birds and the pride they take in them.

Forums could be a great tool in research, if you think about it (now that I think about it... )

YUP. All of it. But remember that a skilled operator can easily portray a very different and sophisticated image online from what they truly are as a person in real life. The interweb offers this opportunity for escape from the mundane world. How quick and well you can read a person when you look into their eyes talking to them in person is a valuable skill in real life. Web based conversations obscure this function giving the unethical operator a slight advantage.
Glean well my friend.

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

but keep in mind not to sound to snotty about it either or the seller may get on edge and decide not to sell to you, some questions should be asked and others IMO are not nessesary... i would answer the questons above no problem but would get maybe irritated if the potential buyer had about 35 questions to ask me that some were irrelevant...this is IMO this is also standing by my experiance owing a dog kennel...people ask silly questions sometimes.. Suspect

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

Thats a very good point TripleJ, Time is our most precious possession, doing ones research privately and framing intelligent questions that engage the seller to tell you more than they would offer is the way to go. Even I lose patience from time to time and in my volatile world Im known as one of the most patient. See, now Ive revealed personal information about myself on the internet that can be used to tailor certain questions and situations, it can be used to someone else's advantage where TripleJ hasnt really revealed anything of that sort. To be blunt about it, all this internet stuff is totally used against consumers(livestock). We are numbered, controlled, tracked and harvested for money, information, and labor like a crop...I call that livestock. So, as much as you learn here on interweb doing research, as much or more is learned about you in doing it and do you really believe it is being used mostly for your benefit? Many Questioners lose sight of the fact that they reveal as much as they learn, a double edge sword so to speak.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

reneggaide wrote: How quick and well you can read a person when you look into their eyes talking to them in person is a valuable skill in real life.
Glean well my friend.

I have this special skill, smiling, I pride myself on this special skill. It is indeed invaluable. There would not be a single person, and I say this with all trust and honesty, that could ever pull woool or anything like that over my eyes....I have a special skill, born with it and will die with it and I feel myself a very fortunate woman to have this walk by my side as I travel down life's roads....I am wondering how many people feel they have this most valuable skill -- I bet many. Have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum