Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Crazy cucumbers!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Crazy cucumbers! Empty Crazy cucumbers! Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My cucumber patch of 45 plants has now produced 73 quarts of pickles plus at least 25 pounds of eating cukes. My mom and Jeanie had to come and rescue me today as I picked way more than I could do by myself. Made 21 jars in 2 hours. The plants are still healthy and producing. I think that is just amazing!

2Crazy cucumbers! Empty Re: Crazy cucumbers! Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:18 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

That is amazing. It's been a great year here for warm weather crops.

3Crazy cucumbers! Empty Re: Crazy cucumbers! Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is awesome, glad you are so handy at canning them all. Pickles are going to be nice over winter. Very Happy

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4Crazy cucumbers! Empty Re: Crazy cucumbers! Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:40 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

That sounds great wish you were closer I would buy some from you
With my health all I got planted was 2 Tomato plans in containers LOL
and they finally have some fruit on them
Next Year I hope to have a garden planted

Love your Garden post keep them coming

5Crazy cucumbers! Empty Re: Crazy cucumbers! Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:38 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh man oh man, you got pickles comin' out ya ears!! I am in the throws now of beginning to pick cukes for pickling, was going to begin picking yesterday, but got waylayed (is that how you spell that word anyways?). But today, after we go kayaking for a bit, I am picking my brains out. The big ones I make bread and butter pickles with, so nothing goes to waste. Bower tell me, have you ever found a recipe for dills that has a good ratio of salt to water to vinegar. Mine are good, but I sure do wish that they were not as salty tasting, or is it vinegary tasting, not sure how to describe it.....this is what I use for brine, is yours the same? Happy cucumber days!! And a beautiful day to you too!! And us all, CynthiaM.

4 litres vinegar
12 litres water
4-1/4 cups pickling salt
1/2 tsp alum

How do yours taste? Or anyone....can the ratio of salt to liquid be cut down so not so salty???

6Crazy cucumbers! Empty Re: Crazy cucumbers! Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:22 am

45 plants ? how big a area do you need for that many plants ? We have ten plants and they sure do take a lot of room ! We have canned about ten jars besides eating them and they are going strong so far

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum