Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Grasshopper Crazy!

+5
DCChick
Hidden River
k.r.l
Grandma Art
Schipperkesue
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Grasshopper Crazy! Empty Grasshopper Crazy! Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:24 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Is everyone in Alberta having the same grasshopper explosion we are having?

The past three years have been pretty dry and the hoppers have been thick. This year has been sooo wet so I wasn't expecting too many hoppers. Wrong! Walking down the driveway is like the parting of the grasshopper sea!

On the upside, I take my big net and catch a handful, then go to the coops. Chickens run feverishly at me! Generously I hand out the delicious hoppers. Maybe my food bill will diminish now.

Sue

2Grasshopper Crazy! Empty Re: Grasshopper Crazy! Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

Nothing here... I saw one large grasshopper on the house the other day, that the only one I have seen... All my birds are free ranging but they dont leave the one field they are in... I would welcome some grasshoppers. I think the turkeys would love them.. ( and chasing them ) ... Cool

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

3Grasshopper Crazy! Empty Re: Grasshopper Crazy! Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:31 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sue we have grasshoppers everywhere here. I figured like you that their wouldn't be many around this year. How wrongs I am...

4Grasshopper Crazy! Empty Re: Grasshopper Crazy! Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have tonnes out in our hay field but the birds that free range around my yard keep the yard clean and clear!

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

5Grasshopper Crazy! Empty Re: Grasshopper Crazy! Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:23 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Millions of grasshoppers and Billions of FLIES!!

6Grasshopper Crazy! Empty Re: Grasshopper Crazy! Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:55 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have a few grasshopper here now. They only appeared in the last week now that the grass is dry. There are still way too many mosquitos.

7Grasshopper Crazy! Empty Re: Grasshopper Crazy! Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:06 pm

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

It's like the third plague here. The never ending mosquitos, then the crazy number of frogs on our soggy property and now the grasshoppers! What a weird weather year. The winter snow only melted the very end of April and now it's the middle of August and its starting to feel like winter is only a short month a way Sad

8Grasshopper Crazy! Empty Re: Grasshopper Crazy! Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:43 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

LET MY PEOPLE GO!!!!!

9Grasshopper Crazy! Empty Re: Grasshopper Crazy! Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:15 am

Well I hate to say it ..........but I believe that the hoppers will be laying eggs soon and if not killed before then the eggs will lay dorment for up to seven years ? then when things ae perfect ) weather ) they will hatch .We had them when we bought our five acres and I ended up spraying the whole five acreas to kill them, a plague of sorts ! .When I drove down the road it was like a wall of hoppers !!

10Grasshopper Crazy! Empty Re: Grasshopper Crazy! Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:31 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh Fowler. Laughing

We have 'em here, but not crazy bad or anything. Not like a few years back when it was Year of the Grasshopper.

11Grasshopper Crazy! Empty Re: Grasshopper Crazy! Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:40 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Take one fine mesh fishing net, walk through your wall of hoppers making broad swooshes through the swath of hoppers as you go. Collect at least a double handful, sit amongst your chickens, dole out the hoppers and they will soon be eating out of your hands!

Sue

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum