Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dark yolks and strong egg flavor.

+5
coopslave
Country Thyme Farm
rosewood
heda gobbler
Schipperkesue
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I find the two linked in my eggs. However, there are people who dislike both as Renegaide has pointed out.

I was talking to someone who tried to sell his eggs to an old farmer. The old guy said he didn't like the taste. The seller asked, "How do they taste?"

The old farmer said,

"They taste like poverty."

2Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:35 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have friends of Polish ancestry who say the same thing about dark bread. They only eat the whitest bread they can buy. Fancy! Sophisticated! Store bought!

Funny how pendulums swing!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

3Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:02 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

In days gone by the wealthiest northern European people had white skin and the poor people that worked the fields were tanned. Today many well to do seek out the tropical locations to enhance their tan. I like dark yolks and dark breads.

4Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I find the opposite with younger people seeking out sustainable foods. That crowd seems to view dark yolks as proof of happy hens. I also believe the flavour changes, but prefer the darker yolks.

I also won't eat white bread. Unless Anna makes it, so I know it's whole soft white flour.

http://countrythyme.ca

5Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:17 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Has anyone ever tasted real German Pumpernickel? It looks like a thin shingle composed of huge chunks of whole grain held together with a tiny matrix of flour. Now this stuff really tastes like poverty...unless it is topped with cream cheese, lox thinly sliced green onions and capers. Yum!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

6Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:26 am

Thats a really cool insight into people Sue. I find that if I look closer at a person there are usually reasons for their sense of values...and the wheel turns.

7Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:30 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am not sure if the flavour changes with the colour of the yolk, but it sure does depending on what the chooks are eating! (I supose that is linked to yolk colour too)
I find the consistancy changes in the yolk too. The darker yolks are a bit thicker and creamier. Better for custards and icecream I think!!!!

8Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:22 am

I find cooking time is quite a bit longer with darker yolks.

9Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:35 am

wyandotte

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the Pumpernickel bread, however, we called it 'Roggebrood'. My grandfather ate it everyday with brown sugar, we eat it with (Gouda) cheese. Also, we gave it to patients in the hospital to promote bowel movements! Yes, this product is around for many decades.

10Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:50 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

wyandotte wrote:Yes, I'm quite familiar with the Pumpernickel bread, however, we called it 'Roggebrood'. My grandfather ate it everyday with brown sugar, we eat it with (Gouda) cheese. Also, we gave it to patients in the hospital to promote bowel movements! Yes, this product is around for many decades.

Heehee! As kids we were warned not to eat too much or we would get the runs!w

11Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:12 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the Pumpernickel bread, however, we called it 'Roggebrood'. My grandfather ate it everyday with brown sugar, we eat it with (Gouda) cheese. Also, we gave it to patients in the hospital to promote bowel movements! Yes, this product is around for many decades.
My wife and I recently made a trip to Holland because of an illness in the family. While their we bought our breakfast and supper at the neighbourhood grocery store. We feasted on gouda and heavy grained breads that we find very expensive here or simply not available here. Over the last few years the loaves of bread we buy here have gotten smaller and smaller, but this is not the case in Holland. We find it ironical that in Canada we have these tiny loaves of bread, but have large fields of grain. Holland has some fields of grain, but is really just a small country.

Perhaps a little off topic.

12Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:03 pm

wyandotte

Yes Sue, one slice a day is enough;)

Stan, I hear you! Yes, we have a feast too with the heavy grained breads (and afhaal Chinees, kibbelingen etc.) Maybe it has to do with the Dutch who are eating bread for breakfast and lunch and that way use more bread! To bring the topic back: maybe opening a bakery with all the good breads is a better business than chickens!

13Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:25 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sue, I have been thinking about this post of yours for a while now. Pondering its implications. Your post made me ponder my own feelings about my home hen eggs.

On wknds Hubby and I often go out for breakfast. I order sausage, eggs over-easy, hash browns and toast. I enjoy these insipid, flaccid, pale, tasteless eggs that look like they've lived the hard life. Poor things. How sad. Yet at home on wknds we rarely, if ever, eat a fried egg. Why is that? I had to think about it for a bit.

I think, offered up fried, sunny-side-up or over-easy, that I find my own eggs a bit too intense. I do eat them poached from time to time, but not nearly as often as you would expect for someone who has a steady supply of fresh, fabulous farm eggs. So without even really knowing it, I might be in the ranks of those who find a farm egg too intensely flavoured or too intensely scented, for straight, in-your-face sunny-side-up eating.

HOWEVER...where I am in love with my home raised eggs is when I have them scrambled. Lately, a plate of scrambled eggs for breakfast is pure heaven. I am new to making scrambled for myself, usually eating them poached. But when you take that intense and flavourful yolk, mix it with the white, NOW you have something to get excited about!

For years eggs were scrambled the way Hubby likes them. Whole eggs broken into the fry pan, shoved around until they are the dry, cremated remains of what was once an egg. Like egg gravel. Ick.

Me, when I make my eggs it is a process, a ritual, an act of love and admiration for those gorgeous, ovoid orbs.

Break three eggs into a bowl, whisk together with one or two teaspoons of water. Whip them babies! Pour into a HOT fry pan sizzling with a generous dollop of butter. Immediately reduce the heat. Stir gently, none of this motion like you're digging for dirt. You want to gently, tenderly, carefully caress those eggs. When they are still a little moist and glistening, turn off the heat. Do NOT dry them out! Add a little salt, freshly ground pepper, some Greek seasoning if you are feeling Greekish, and enjoy! THIS is where I am so happy and satisfied to have a home raised egg. The taste of this egg dish has no equal anywhere! Make this with store eggs, you might as well eat glue.

If I am yearning for really creamy eggs, I add a small splash of cream or canned milk to the whipped eggs, set the fry pan over a pot of boiling water, avoid the dry heat of the element and go for the gentler heat of boiling water. Oh! Pure heaven in your mouth!

So Sue, while straight up my eggs might be too intense and I never knew I felt this way until now, they shine and have no equal as a scrambled delight of fluff and goodness! I had to think about this a while. But now I know.

14Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:42 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like to scramble eggs by mixing them with some milk or cream. Then get out the cast iron frying pan and add butter. The egg mixture goes in when the frying pan is heated. As the mixture cooks on low heat I add Mrs. Dash, and garlic (from a press. When almost cooked work in shredded cheese.

15Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:47 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh yeah...that's the way to do it. By the way, aren't Farmchiq and I supposed to be coming to your outbuilding for a sleep over? I think the cheesy garlic eggs for breakfast would be quite appropriate.

16Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:17 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I very much prfer the strong colour and flavour. If i wanted pale flavourless eggs I would just eat the whites. The whole point of the eggg is the yolk. The white is just what frames the yolk on your plate.

17Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:18 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Your too late for that coop as it is full of chicks, but there is the second coop under construction. We put OSB over the roof yesterday and installed some old mobile windows. We only have just over a dozen mature hens, but only a third laying on a given day so I'm not sure about the scrambled eggs for a crowded. There is the fair coming up in September. I did invite people to come for a get together a couple years ago, but nobody showed.

18Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:17 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno has gotten me thinking about how I like my strong yolked eggs. Yes, I love the taste of poverty!

Omelettes are nice, and so are poached over toast or even taken further to eggs Benedict.

My favorite is a twist on my dad's favorite: Eggs Mit Speck. Speck is a tasty German ham but you can substitute lean bacon.

Chop speck into small pieces and brown in a pan. Add butter if needed, pour in a beaten mixture of egg, salt, pepper and cream. Scrape around in the pan on low hear until the eggs begin to congeal. Raise the temperature to high to finish the eggs.

I like to top with grated cheese and salsa.

19Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:08 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here's a thought - I believe "poverty food" tastes more of what it is - eggy, beefy, rye-like and so on. "Fancy" foods are stripped of their original flavours - the very taste that makes them distinct, recognizable. Basically more processed, blander, safer.

I like fluffy moist scrambled eggs. Cheese added especially if children are involved: "Cheesy eggs!"

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

20Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:37 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Uno, that is interesting about how you feel about scrambled eggs. That is the only way I can have those pale, anemic commercial eggs. At least when they are scrambled the pale coloured yolks do not offend me as much. Very Happy

I love my own home raise eggs over easy if fried or poached soft. I love the runny, dark yolks full of flavour. I have to say though, I do not like them done this way if they have been in the fridge. They have to be fresh and only a couple of days old (I leave my eggs out for 3 or 4 days before they go in the fridge) if I have soft yolks as I don't like cooked eggs and cold yolks.......shudder! So room temperature, soft cooked and yummy are the way I prefer mine. I save the scrambled for when I have to eat the yucky ones! Laughing

Interesting hearing about how everyone likes their eggs. I actually never thought that there may be peoplel that don't like the fresh one.

21Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

My favorite is Devilled Eggs!

I have the perfect breed for Devilled Eggs. Cornish Bantams!

They lay a small egg, but not tiny. The yolk, however, is huge! Peel 'em, slice 'em in half, whip up that yolk with a dollop of mayo and spice, and squirt it back in. The white is just a thin bowl that holds in all that dark yellowy goodness.

22Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:14 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:My favorite is Devilled Eggs!

I have the perfect breed for Devilled Eggs. Cornish Bantams!

They lay a small egg, but not tiny. The yolk, however, is huge! Peel 'em, slice 'em in half, whip up that yolk with a dollop of mayo and spice, and squirt it back in. The white is just a thin bowl that holds in all that dark yellowy goodness.

Yum, I love devilled eggs. My mom used to make the best ones! I haven't had them for years, Aussies don't seem to do them. Now that you have me thinking of them, you know I am going to have to make some. Rolling Eyes

23Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:25 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

What I have found interesting is that I have always hated the whites of store-bought eggs, and even farmer's market, large flock, probably mostly pellet fed chicken eggs - just flavourless yuck. I had to scramble them to get that good yolk to make the whites edible. I could never understand how anyone could have an egg white scramble. But my own, fresh grain, greens and bug fed chickens, those whites are actually good, and I can now enjoy a fried egg. Amazing to me Very Happy And I want my egg to taste like an egg, so bring on those dark yolks!

24Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:32 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just to be clear, I did not say I do not like my home eggs. I do! I was just wondering aloud why it is I don't eat more of them fried ? I eat some of them poached, but lately have been loving them scrambled. Wondering if it isn't the slight softening of the flavours when yolk and white are blended. Also allows for the addition of any number of good ingredients.

Devilled eggs. Never made them. Way too much work. They are also slippery. I fear slippery food. Way too many potentially awkward social situations with slippery food. Best to avoid it.

25Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Empty Re: Dark yolks and strong egg flavor. Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

ChickenTeam wrote:What I have found interesting is that I have always hated the whites of store-bought eggs, and even farmer's market, large flock, probably mostly pellet fed chicken eggs - just flavourless yuck. I had to scramble them to get that good yolk to make the whites edible. I could never understand how anyone could have an egg white scramble. But my own, fresh grain, greens and bug fed chickens, those whites are actually good, and I can now enjoy a fried egg. Amazing to me Very Happy And I want my egg to taste like an egg, so bring on those dark yolks!

Chickenteam, I have always avoided fried eggs for this reason. I shall have to revisit this dish!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum