Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cornish bantams on the table!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cornish bantams on the table! Empty Cornish bantams on the table! Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:52 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

As an experiment I took in three Cornish bantams to the processor this week. Thanks Pigeon Lake Processing! I am not up to doing the deed myself.

Anyway, we ate them today. Roast Cornish bantams! Mmmmmmm! They were hatched in March and here they are today.

the middle one was only .75 kg dressed out. I had a larger and a smaller one. .7 and .95.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

They were delicious!

Last edited by Schipperkesue on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sorry, wrong weights.)

2Cornish bantams on the table! Empty Re: Cornish bantams on the table! Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:47 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

They look delicious.

So how did you find them for meatiness?
Were they mostly white breast meat or was there an even distribution?
WOuld you serve 1 per adult or would 1 cbantam cornish feed 2 people?
Would you consider them economical to grow for meat?
Will you specificly grow them for meat next year?

3Cornish bantams on the table! Empty Re: Cornish bantams on the table! Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Arcticsun wrote:They look delicious.

1. So how did you find them for meatiness?
2. Were they mostly white breast meat or was there an even distribution?
3. WOuld you serve 1 per adult or would 1 cbantam cornish feed 2 people?
4. Would you consider them economical to grow for meat?
5. Will you specificly grow them for meat next year?

1. At 4 months they were a little less meaty than the store bought models. These were also my obvious culls. I have some that meet the standard of perfection that are much heavier.

2. Even

3. I ate half and my husband, the other half. If I were serving company, I would plan for one each.

4. Yes, if you slaughter them yourself. Professionally processed was $4.25 per chicken no matter the size.

5. No, but I am breeding to show them. Part of the attraction is they are one of the few bantams that you can eat your culls.

4Cornish bantams on the table! Empty Re: Cornish bantams on the table! Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

good to know.
Thanks

5Cornish bantams on the table! Empty Re: Cornish bantams on the table! Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I'm confused. My SOP lists even a mature cock of cornish bantam at 44 oz live, which is less weight than you're saying yours butchered out at. Did you mean 1.75lbs?

edit: never mind, I now see you already changed the weights. I really need to stop leaving the computer for hours before posting Very Happy

http://countrythyme.ca

6Cornish bantams on the table! Empty Re: Cornish bantams on the table! Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:15 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wow! Those look wonderful! So plump and juicy looking. It seems Cornish bantams make a very classy meal, culls or not. That's a real bonus while breeding towards show quality. I had no idea they would be so nice for the table.
Are these the White Cornish, Sue?

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

7Cornish bantams on the table! Empty Re: Cornish bantams on the table! Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:36 am

If I didnt know better..heheh...Id ask if you got that one pre-cooked at the store lol. Id bet yours tastes more like chicken though! Ive been impressed with the cornish bantams ever since you put one of yours in my hands, very impressed for their size.

8Cornish bantams on the table! Empty Re: Cornish bantams on the table! Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:46 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

9Cornish bantams on the table! Empty Re: Cornish bantams on the table! Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:13 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

KathyS wrote:Wow! Those look wonderful! So plump and juicy looking. It seems Cornish bantams make a very classy meal, culls or not. That's a real bonus while breeding towards show quality. I had no idea they would be so nice for the table.
Are these the White Cornish, Sue?

I took in a dark Cornish and two RLWs. Even the dark plucked clean.

Turned one into chicken salad tonight. More than enough meat for hubby and myself.

10Cornish bantams on the table! Empty Re: Cornish bantams on the table! Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

reneggaide wrote:If I didnt know better..heheh...Id ask if you got that one pre-cooked at the store lol. Id bet yours tastes more like chicken though! Ive been impressed with the cornish bantams ever since you put one of yours in my hands, very impressed for their size.

Oh, my guilty secrets! Actually Doug has been known to buy a pre- roasted chicken from the store. the best thing about them is the nifty little plastic container they come in.

And truth be told, Doug ate his cold. After I pulled the meat off the bones. After weeks of asking when we would be eating them, he was too chicken (so to speak) to eat one, knowing where it came from. I need to work on that boy!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum